Gravity "element" suggestion

Jeronimo

Just thought about a gravity element to rule the UP and DOWN in space.

This element could be scripted and given a force vector to setup gravity within a spaceship

Gravity could be then canceled, turned up or down at will

When first deployed in a construction it would give the default gravity force vector, so what ever you build around you would be sure which voxels compose the ceiling and the floor of your construct in space gravitation.

Turning up or down the gravity would allow spaceship interior configuration for the diferent gravity forces

And canceling the gravity force might be usefull during an enemy assault, and disabling the enemies ships landing possibility

I guess something like that is already implemented, in the pre-alpha videos we saw them walking and landing on spacestations. The easiest solution would be a gravity generator if this isnt automatically set when you start a building.

pre alpha video doesnt have any functional elements, not even an activable door in the big space station i think, they just rotated it in the space in a way they could land on it properly

I always thought Space Engineers way of gravity was a little awkward, what with just a big box. If two ships of differing orientations but 1g downward gravity get close to each other, and the wells extend beyond the ships, then things get goofy for both ships. I personally would prefer a gravity generator placed on a ship to make gravity happen in a specific way according to the voxels on the ship, so that the gravity would extend a certain height above every single section of the ship, and not have gravity out in space in the ships vicinity. Then also available would be a way to have radial or spherical gravity, but it all would depend on the voxels connected to the generator, not merely the proximity of the generator.

So rather than a gravity generator having its own field, a gravity generator would cause each voxel the generator is connected to to have its own individual gravity field. This would make close fleet battles, something hopefully a significant factor in the game, less awkward in terms of gravity.

For something like cylindrical radial gravity, you could have the center be through the gravity generator, and then all voxels would have a gravity field away from that center line.

For something like cylindrical radial gravity, you could have the center be through the gravity generator, and then all voxels would have a gravity field away from that center line.

That is a cool idea, you might even be able to build a gravitational "tractor beam" to draw in/hold other objects or ships.

I hate artificial gravity. It's OK as a work around for live-action TV shows that have to be shot on the Earth's surface, but IMO, it has no place in an animated sci-fi production.

OTOH... go ahead... put AG on your pirate ship... I won't be wasting energy on it in my ship, and I'll out run you :P