Allow multiple construct cores ?!

MrFaul

Multi core placement your thoughts  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Would you allow multiple cores in one construct?

• No, only core should be available.
    • Sure why not, a backup could be useful.
    • Only to allow third parties a option to build in their rented space.
    • Turnip™
  2. 2. Pro opinions (multiple choice)

• Allows more complexity
    • Should be inactive unless selected as master
    • Would make renting rooms very easy
    • A dirty but expensive way to improve base stats in small builds
    • Should be necessary for moving parts
  3. 3. Contra opinions (multiple choice)

• Adds unnecessary complexity
    • Is totally op
    • Moving parts should only have an "anchor"
    • The core is a vital part of a ship and additional cores would ruin that
    • Heck no this is just a dumb idea in general

I don't think cores have a role in combat, it's just needed to assign an id to a ship, to identify blocks as a ship, and to limit their size relatively to the core block tier. Combat is about shields/armor/structure.

I feel like the core is the core. I'm not going bother voting in that confusing poll.

But the point of it anyways is that you protect it. You tend to put it in the center of the ship and it has the most shielding / protection possible.

Do we even know if ships even blow up and such like can you shoot away part the ship and make it to the core or if it's just pure basics RPG stats like hull, armor, shields, etc and it does not really matter?

I agree on multiple cores, i can imagine going as far to have individual sections of a ship each with a core, whilst being a master core for the ship as a whole,

this would also allow subsequent ship and space station sections/upgrades to be manufactured  independently perhaps by different organizations and then brought together, so the task doesn't fall on a single organization to construct something truly massive.

Hm I haven't considered to use cores as means to control the size of constructs but it is actually not a bad idea since a core is considered a serious investment depending on its size.

Also interlinking constructs would result in multiple cores but that depends on how it is handled, if it is only handled as some sort of "docking" it would still be two separate constructs with their own respective functions.

But the point of having only one as vital part of your construct is also very valid, this makes placement very strategic and knowledge of its placement important intel for battle situations.

I don't know if NQ have given it deep thought about that topic yet, yesterdays interview sounded more like "There will only be one" per construct.

having multiple cores would actually be a benefit: imagine a ship that is cut in half, how do you detect the breach efficiently? you cant, except if you have reference points, like the cores. You could find the face normals of the mesh pointing towards it and differentiate that with the faces moving in the opposite direction and you got the location of the breach, now you just gotta migrate the tree to another reference and you got yourself 2 fully functional ship halves!

But dude, how do you merge them together? do you repair them into two ships?

well no, you can choose, either you spend resources to create two or you "relative anchor" them for repair so there only has a gap to be filled in. This would allow for cool separating ships like the prometheus to be built.

Hm I haven't considered to use cores as means to control the size of constructs but it is actually not a bad idea since a core is considered a serious investment depending on its size.

Also interlinking constructs would result in multiple cores but that depends on how it is handled, if it is only handled as some sort of "docking" it would still be two separate constructs with their own respective functions.

But the point of having only one as vital part of your construct is also very valid, this makes placement very strategic and knowledge of its placement important intel for battle situations.

I don't know if NQ have given it deep thought about that topic yet, yesterdays interview sounded more like "There will only be one" per construct.

Well, the 1 meter Core JC used on the video can build up to 72 meters radius of a construct or something. The largest core is 4 cubic meters in size. My guess is we will need multiple "expansion Cores" to expand our constructs.

• 2 weeks later...

Additionally It would add to the pvp layer of the game (team 1 managed to take control of core 1) warning all defenses in that area are now inactive/hostile defenders will know to attack and/or defend core 2. Although if this is gonna be a thing hack time would need to be scaled back a bit for balance or divided between the cores.

Would allow build/industrialists to have a bigger role in capturing the ship.

However if self destruct is gonna be a thing then im somewhat against the idea.