My Community Has Withdrawn Our Pledges

ChipPatton

Yeah the guy who makes it his business transporting DACs to the outer rim will have balls so big that it makes it hard to fly his space ship.

Seriously though, if I go in on day one and find I have all my kickstarter DACs in my inventory and nowhere safe to store them I think that would be pretty shitty game design

Not really, but I'm looking forward to the flamewar that will erupt when some Newbro looses 500$ in DAC to a random guy. It will be hilarious

And of course, the turbo-nerds that will draft a Geneva Convention for the game that nobody will follow.

Them sweet DACs wil lbe tasty to steal.

Them sweet DACs wil lbe tasty to steal.

If that would be available in beginning, it would be removed very quickly =) Reputation of NQ will be damaged if they will allow steam DAC after killing. No need to be so naive.

If that would be available in beginning, it would be removed very quickly =) Reputation of NQ will be damaged if they will allow steam DAC after killing. No need to be so naive.

Strange, EVE is still going for 13 years with that thing in the game. Only STUPID people get robbed of their PLEX (DACs in EVE).

If people are stupid and lazy, they will be robbed by pirates, because they won't play safe.

If DAC can't be stolen, the DAC becomes Pay-to-Win. The only thing preventing that is the fact it can be stolen. :)

Your carebear fur seems a bit tense. It's because them pirates breathe down your neck I guess.

It would give a new meaning to risk and reward and also value if DAC were to be physical and had to be moved to reach other players or a buyer. I would not mind it, but I can see people complain.

I don't get it though. From what I can imagine so far, there would be enough ways to ensure a safe transport to the client - if need be, let the client come to you or do it in safe zones / neutral ground. Or add "risk fees" if you transport it over as longer distance or through dangerous / unpoliced space.

E: What Twerk said above me, too.

You know if they can be stolen then it would remind me of that whole time movie where people don't age anymore, so society added an internal clock that starts once you turn 18 or 25 - time becomes the new currency for all of those that can be added via work or favors. It's just like money with the difference that you die once your time runs out. That movie ends in them robbing several banks for time, not money.

DAC seem like that time here.

No its ands or buts about it.

DAC are a REAL legal license to use the software for 30 days. They may be transferable, but theft of the license IS A REAL CRIME.

I seriously doubt NovaQuark will open themselves up to this liability.

So, even though they exist within a virtual environment for the purpose commerce, you're NOT going to be able to loot DACS.

You can still scam someone...

It would give a new meaning to risk and reward and also value if DAC were to be physical and had to be moved to reach other players or a buyer. I would not mind it, but I can see people complain.

I don't get it though. From what I can imagine so far, there would be enough ways to ensure a safe transport to the client - if need be, let the client come to you or do it in safe zones / neutral ground. Or add "risk fees" if you transport it over as longer distance or through dangerous / unpoliced space.

E: What Twerk said above me, too.

Sure there are ways good sir, it's just people are lazy, stupid and too much pampered that instead of trying to play a game smart, they want to be pampered by the Dev police even more.

What's next? Will I be banned for scamming a fool off their money? 0.o How will I run my ponzi schemes? How will I work my criminal empire of investment firms? 0.o 

No its ands or buts about it.

DAC are a REAL legal license to use the software for 30 days. They may be transferable, but theft of the license IS A REAL CRIME.

I seriously doubt NovaQuark will open themselves up to this liability.

So, even though they exist within a virtual environment for the purpose commerce, you're NOT going to be able to loot DACS.

You can still scam someone...

Don't worry bro. The DEVs stated that EVE's economy is what drives their vision on the economy.

EVE's economy involves stolen PLEX (DACs). :)

I know people will enjoy robbing you. Blueprints in the game will be physical objects as well, so yeah, DACs will be too.

Only money are digital in-game and (possibly) won't be stolen if they are on your person and even that is up for debate really.

Bottomline is, you are on the wrong. :) You are scared, I know, but think of this process as mental gymnastics to out-wit them pirates.

So you agree while playing the game to the eula, where there will be stated that DACs can be raided and looted by others. They will be provided in the arkship or a safezone for you to pick them up (so they are 100% safe). You can then sell them or use them. Perfectly safe and 100% secure.

But there will be dumb people and noobs who take theme OUTSIDE the safezone. I will be there to help them get rid of their dacs. Nothing illegal here, it's THEIR FAULT being STUPID.

If NQ provided those dacs only outside a safe zone, then it would be illegal.

But I assume you are prone to listening to reasons, just want your no PvP hello kitty carebear heaven but I will make sure that this won't happen

So you agree while playing the game to the eula, where there will be stated that DACs can be raided and looted by others. They will be provided in the arkship or a safezone for you to pick them up (so they are 100% safe). You can then sell them or use them. Perfectly safe and 100% secure.

But there will be dumb people and noobs who take theme OUTSIDE the safezone. I will be there to help them get rid of their dacs. Nothing illegal here, it's THEIR FAULT being STUPID.

If NQ provided those dacs only outside a safe zone, then it would be illegal.

But I assume you are prone to listening to reasons, just want your no PvP hello kitty carebear heaven but I will make sure that this won't happen

It may just be lack of knowledge that they are safe in the safezone.  I imagine a lot of Kickstarter backers won't realize this... and may potentially lose their DACs due to just not knowing how the mechanics work :P

Heck, we don't really know they will be safe in the safezone, do we?  Nothing has been explicitly stated as far as I'm aware.

Steal DAC = force people to leave the game. If NQ will allow that, that will say they don't care about the population of the game. Since this is real money, not just gold or something it will be accepted too offensive from these noobs.

This would be a really stupid step from NQ. I don't know much about EVE, but I'm sure, it secure everything (or almost everything) while player offline. And no need to tell about "Territory Security Beacons" and safe zones.

As from marketing side, this will be a big mistake, which will hurt the reputation of the company (reviews and negative posts on websites).

Thanks,

Archonious

This is relative. It may also attract others who like the potential risk involved.

DayZ is pretty much known and was (if it isn't any longer) popular too - and you can really lose it all there unless you made a stash somewhere - and even that could be raided if found by someone.

I realize money would be easier comparable with DACs, almost directly (if not directly) tied to money - but to me it's the same principle of emergent gameplay with risks - if you move out of safe areas, in theory you can be attacked by others and lose things.

If your purchased DAC are usually delivered to safe territory where you can also do any trades and then people complain about losing them for taking the risk and / or not minding safety procedures they get what's coming to them. In turn one should not forget the possible option to "steal" playtime is lucrative for others, hence me saying it's somewhat 'relative'.

You can resolve this very quickly by having any purchased DACs not exist in the game until the player goes to an ark ship terminal or uses the game menus to "release" them, it could be as simple as "You have 20 DAC on your account would you like to activate one now or transfer them to your inventory?"

Obviously if you are going to sell them on in game market you need to release them to become an ingame item with all the risks that are involved with that but if a player is purchasing DACs for themselves from NQ for personal use there should be no risks, its to important

Steal DAC = force people to leave the game. If NQ will allow that, that will say they don't care about the population of the game. Since this is real money, not just gold or something it will be accepted too offensive from these noobs.

This would be a really stupid step from NQ. I don't know much about EVE, but I'm sure, it secure everything (or almost everything) while player offline. And no need to tell about "Territory Security Beacons" and safe zones.

As from marketing side, this will be a big mistake, which will hurt the reputation of the company (reviews and negative posts on websites).

Thanks,

Archonious

Possibility of stealing DACs = makes a lot of mercenaries have jobs as caravan protection.

Possibility of stealing DACs = makes banks a thing so you can have your stuff stored in the place with the most guns protecting your DACs... for a price of course.

Possibility of stealing DACs = makes an interesting game. Smugglers whose job is to trade things via stealthy means have jobs, as they smuggle your precious DACs to a buyer's location.

Safezones = the place to keep DACs. How will you get them THERE, is YOUR or YOUR SPACE-TRUCKER's problem.

People will send space-truckers to pick up the DAC they bought from you on the Arkship, sure, you will get your money's worth on the DAC. How the space-trucker willl get the DAC back to the buyer to be used, is their problem.

You are really not getting the meaning of a sandbox game, but hey, you make yourself look silly with words like "strength and honour" when you clearly lack the former when you claim "I will quit ze game if NQ won't pamper me".

If you want trade routes to be safe, pay people to police said routes. DACs are IN-GAME items that can be dropped, like any other item as thjey can be traded.

Deal with it.

This is relative. It may also attract others who like the potential risk involved.

DayZ is pretty much known and was (if it isn't any longer) popular too - and you can really lose it all there unless you made a stash somewhere - and even that could be raided if found by someone.

I realize money would be easier comparable with DACs, almost directly (if not directly) tied to money - but to me it's the same principle of emergent gameplay with risks - if you move out of safe areas, in theory you can be attacked by others and lose things.

If your purchased DAC are usually delivered to safe territory where you can also do any trades and then people complain about losing them for taking the risk and / or not minding safety procedures they get what's coming to them. In turn one should not forget the possible option to "steal" playtime is lucrative for others, hence me saying it's somewhat 'relative'.

Everyone wants to be Han Solo, but nobody wants the risk involved. That's why the best smugglers will be famous for elluding pirates and blockades and guys like Archonius will be forum drama-queens.

Everyone wants to be Han Solo, but nobody wants the risk involved. That's why the best smugglers will be famous for elluding pirates and blockades and guys like Archonius will be forum drama-queens.

First sentence reminds me of "Everyone wants to win but not lose" - doesn't work of course, sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. It's (for me and others anyway) the fun in the game.

I had the most thrilling experiences in Minecraft and DayZ. Both can be roughly compared by concept (if you play MC with PvP components) as you have to earn what you wear (or control) yourself first - and it could be lost, too.

This whole system resulted in the most dynamic interactions and events you'll hardly find in other games with way more 'comfort zones'. Of course there should be some kind of balance and there shouldn't be total anarchy, but at the end of the day some risk makes it interesting in the first place. The whole risk also creates a market for security forces, volunteers, etc. as people have stated already.

When someone is in doubt, my suggestion is: Don't be overly guided by abstract fears - see how it later unfolds and find people to make places safer. You could argue that the risk creates jobs - just like in the modern world.

As was said, stupid people will lose it outside safe zones. Ok, don't think stupid people will be very happy and look for risk to lose a lot of money. DAC hunters? That is bullshit, not many will have these DACs outside safe zones (so it would be luck mainly).

As more people will lose, as less DAC will be sold (also fewer players will stay in the game).

As less DAC will be sold, as fewer people (without subscription) will play (as the reason, the price will be too high for many).

As a result - NQ lose money. NQ lose community.

Situation from Pirates side for NQ:

Pirate (with sub) raided and got DAC - pirate activates it and cancels sub for 1 month.

Then again, there is risk player (who lost DAC) cancel his sub/DAC and leave the game.

Since market lose 1 DAC (which was for sale), somebody could lose an ability to buy it and will leave the game as well.

As a result - NQ lose 1-month sub by default + 2 possible sub/DAC loses as the negative effect of the action.

Personally, I don't see anything positive for NQ at all.

P.S: Stop fly in your dreams, be realists.

Thanks,

Archonious

As was said, stupid people will lose it outside safe zones. Ok, don't think stupid people will be very happy and look for risk to lose a lot of money. DAC hunters? That is bullshit, not many will have these DACs outside safe zones (so it would be luck mainly).

As more people will lose, as less DAC will be sold (also fewer players will stay in the game).

As less DAC will be sold, as fewer people (without subscription) will play (as the reason, the price will be too high for many).

As a result - NQ lose money. NQ lose community.

Situation from Pirates side for NQ:

Pirate (with sub) raided and got DAC - pirate activates it and cancels sub for 1 month.

Then again, there is risk player (who lost DAC) cancel his sub/DAC and leave the game.

Since market lose 1 DAC (which was for sale), somebody could lose an ability to buy it and will leave the game as well.

As a result - NQ lose 1-month sub by default + 2 possible sub/DAC loses as the negative effect of the action.

Personally, I don't see anything positive for NQ at all.

Thanks,

Archonious

Stupid people will want revenge and join orgs that "Pledegeth an Oath of Vengeance onto those villainous scum of the Earth!".

Game goes on. Stupid people become smart people. Game becomes interesting even more.

The only solid advice I can give to anyone, is "if you can't take the heat, don't dance to the beat". And the beat of the game is sick.

So, you were only looking to play the game for a short period of time ?

I can understand why this system is frustrating for you then.

For the player looking at the game as an evergoing long term adventure, like EvE and other persistent mmos, their is absolutely no problem with the DAC/PLEX system running as an alternative to the monthly subscription.

As a player not infusing $$$ into the game , you would still be able to earn money otherwise using the game mechanics.

As long as it is not possible to progress your skills faster using money, DU can't be "pay-to-win".

Yes, I agreed with the above.  As long as you are not able to artificially circumvent the timelines for skill advancement, then it's not p2w.  The real valuable investment for players i this game is the skill tree, not the money.

I suppose in the end we can discuss it for a long time - discussion about it is good if it gives devs input, or rather, if they try to consider said input.

However in the end, I guess we'll have to wait and see how it plays out and whether this idea changes. I guess I'll revisit the topic once DAC are an actual thing you can use or if they are about to be implemented.

Told my stance anyway. I can see both sides, but at the end of the day I would not mind DAC risks is all I'm saying.

I had the most thrilling experiences in Minecraft and DayZ. Both can be roughly compared by concept (if you play MC with PvP components) as you have to earn what you wear (or control) yourself first - and it could be lost, too.

Don't mix in-game resources and real money. All these "protection mercenaries" is another dream bullshit. Who will stop them to kill and steal? There is no law and no protection from the robbery. It is like "Donate 20EUR to NQ and get negative emotions". Because those who will lose it will feel it like that. But real money losses will be more painful that even x2 losses in-game resources.

Personally don't care at all, don't plan to use these DACs. But it is the simple reaction of people. NQ will lose on that action only.

Thanks,

Archonious