SteelRain27

Was just curious about how people felt about the potential for private servers? I am a streamer and one thing that happens to us on public servers (even really large ones) is getting sniped. The idea of a single place for people to populate a world is a thrilling "idea". In practical application though these things usually don't end the way you want them to in an uncontrolled environment. Someone who becomes bored might decide to fly their ship into your carefully crafted city and you lose hours of work. I would love to the the ability to have server hosting for this game so that the larger communities servers that have application processes and rules would be able to utilize this game. I am also an avid RP streamer and that community is really excited for something like this to come along. Experience shows that in an open server not everyone likes to play ball and grief instead when you are trying to tell a story.

Anyways I would love to hear what others thoughts are on the potential of server hosting for the game, pros, cons and the like.

Cheers

SteelRain27 

I think this really goes against what the developers have envisioned for this game. They want everyone in the same shard, so having private servers would just split the playerbase up. If you don't want to be sniped as a streamer then put in a hefty delay and move around because yes it does put a target on your back.

You are asking for instances in a game advertising a revolutionary tech for NO instances.

One of us is missing the point.

In other news I'm about to launch a Kickstarter campaign for my multiplayer Solitaire game... watch and cheer as up to 10,000 players fight for control of the mouse pointer.

Was just curious about how people felt about the potential for private servers? I am a streamer and one thing that happens to us on public servers (even really large ones) is getting sniped. The idea of a single place for people to populate a world is a thrilling "idea". In practical application though these things usually don't end the way you want them to in an uncontrolled environment. Someone who becomes bored might decide to fly their ship into your carefully crafted city and you lose hours of work. I would love to the the ability to have server hosting for this game so that the larger communities servers that have application processes and rules would be able to utilize this game. I am also an avid RP streamer and that community is really excited for something like this to come along. Experience shows that in an open server not everyone likes to play ball and grief instead when you are trying to tell a story.

Anyways I would love to hear what others thoughts are on the potential of server hosting for the game, pros, cons and the like.

Cheers

SteelRain27 

Your faction could limit/eliminate people "sniping" you. So, in essence, your "private" server!

Er... not the best of ideas in my opinion, eliminates the whole single server/shard thing. But I'm all for having a different "section" of the game, pay separately and get access to a small story in the DUAL Universe universe, maybe have some modified, new, or entirely different game mechanics and such. There's certainly possibility to make another version or sect of the game for those interested in a different experience, though, I imagine it would really stop being DUAL Universe at some point, hence the "pay separately". But I would absolutely love an updating story mechanic based around major factions and the actual events that happen in the main game if this were to become a thing.

Yet another one of these threads. . . wonderful.

Why would NQ spend so much time developing an entirely new form of managing large scale server data / management just to offer it out for single player or small time group usage.

It is quite well known that the game is planned to be single shard, and it is my hopes and suspicions that lead me to the fact that it will remain this way. 

Don't get me wrong I love private shards (running them that is) but it's not going to happen for this game. The tech level of things and scaling you would need a decent backend infrastructure plus the monthly fee is not 1 to 1 server costs. It's also for supporting the games future in new content and constant updates. If people run free servers it means the developers are losing money. 

Don't get me wrong I love private shards (running them that is) but it's not going to happen for this game. The tech level of things and scaling you would need a decent backend infrastructure plus the monthly fee is not 1 to 1 server costs. It's also for supporting the games future in new content and constant updates. If people run free servers it means the developers are losing money. 

That about sums it up.

I can also imagine that the tech behind the server architecture is copyrighted?

Like JC says they are more like a tech development compagny. And since he has developed new tech to handle this amount of people on an unprecedented scale...would make sense that it is patented/copyrighted/proprietary. Not sure wich one is apt in this situation.

Oh man, reading this flame war just made my day.

But I have to remind everyone here to something, JC is running the demos on a laptop with server and client, so yes private worlds would be completely possible. But I hardly doubt that NQ has any interest in licencing DU servers.

I'm pretty sure that someday triple A studios will be able to rent NQs tech for own purposes but that's far off for now.

But to address your concerns, make a organization claim territory and buy a protection bubble, problem solved.

I'm pretty sure your community will be happy to help you with that. If it is not enough build communities with other YouTubers and share the costs.

I don't think we need this, the essence of the game is the fact that all players are on the same server, the same world, and allow players to create servers is gonna make the same effects than Ark/rust etc, we don't have immersion on little servers, we don't have responsibilities etc (With wiped etc), i think it's one of the factor for a bad community, players don't interact cause they're just going on another servers 2h after, they just don't care about destruct an entire village. 

And after all, they have the ambitious of an mmo, they definitively need one giant server to get enough people, create a community like wow is pretty hard and for now we're not 10000 for now  :P

I can also imagine that the tech behind the server architecture is copyrighted?

Like JC says they are more like a tech development compagny. And since he has developed new tech to handle this amount of people on an unprecedented scale...would make sense that it is patented/copyrighted/proprietary. Not sure wich one is apt in this situation.

Not only this they might be using software that they pay for. I don't know if many MMORPG's (modern none east side the world) still use MSSQL but that is one of the many and I mean many things that might require legal licenses etc.. Not only that they might be using libraries on the server side that are illegal to distribute to others. 

The point of this game is that the other players are the content.  They're your friends and allies and your bitter rivals.

If griefers are griefing you... then you must group up to protect yourself.  This is how communities form in real life... banding together in common purpose and defense... or offense as the case may be.

The server might be a constant war zone of small factions all fighting each other...  One large group might form with sub groups to police itself and or defend against outside threats.  It may morph slowly over time in ever changing social dynamics... all driven by player actions.  It is what we the players make it.  If the destructive forces out weigh the constructive then that's the way it is... for now.  Until the constructive forces change the dynamic. 

Cheers

SteelRain27 

NovaQuark has discussed the idea of private instances for building.  

They've said many times that their goal is to support all play styles.

There may not be private servers but there will hopefully be plenty of options for people looking for some peace and quiet while they're doing whatever it is they want to do.

There's always the safe zone around the arcship...

And I do remember hearing something about a build view... where in you can design things in a virtual environment and then take them into the "real" virtual world of the game.  So no one can ruin what you're building while you're working things out... but once it's out in the world it's subject to the rules of the game.