Crashed Arkships=>Repair=New Safezone

Underhand Aerial

Heyho,

in a post NQ-Nyzaltar wrote that they have 3 ideas for safezones on other planets. Here i want to share my idea.

In our Universe are thousand of Arkships but they all crashed.

Now when people start exploring they can find crashed (ruins of) arkships, my idea is that the community can repair those ships to create safezones like on the first planet. But to repair them you will need many resources. Maybe you can design it like a Event.

But another variant is that a organization can "capture" this Arkship/safezone if they have enough resources. But you will need guys who use the material to repair the ship. While they repair it the other guys have to protect the workers and the arkship. If the enemy deals enough damage (Arkship Repair reached -1%) the repair failed and it cant be repaired in the next 30mins. after 30mins another organization can try it or the same can try it again.

To create a new safe zone, I like the idea of restoring a ruined arkship (over throwing down a token). I also like the idea that it not only takes resources to restore it but also to keep it functional e.g. by providing a boatload of power.

I would expect the number of arkships per planet would be limited to one or two and never a guarantee. Though they would be easy to spot due to their size... Hmm maybe they could be buried in some cases so prospectors might inadvertently stumble onto one. "You'll never guess what I found under my farm."

Expanding on the capturing idea, as long as the arkship is powered it should not be able to change hands... But if the power supply runs dry, another organization could swoop in.

Just an idea.

To create a new safe zone, I like the idea of restoring a ruined arkship (over throwing down a token). I also like the idea that it not only takes resources to restore it but also to keep it functional e.g. by providing a boatload of power.

I would expect the number of arkships per planet would be limited to one or two and never a guarantee. Though they would be easy to spot due to their size... Hmm maybe they could be buried in some cases so prospectors might inadvertently stumble onto one. "You'll never guess what I found under my farm."

Expanding on the capturing idea, as long as the arkship is powered it should not be able to change hands... But if the power supply runs dry, another organization could swoop in.

Just an idea.

I could never see it being more then 1 only because I assume the possibility chances of 2 crashing into the same planet would be impossible mathematically :P

But I do like the ideas of finding them but having to activate them again. The powering up I'm not sure how that will work out would there be a bonus to the people who provide it power? Could the more power you give the bigger the safezone expand? 

Hmm maybe they could be buried in some cases so prospectors might inadvertently stumble onto one. "You'll never guess what I found under my farm."

Just an idea.

It's a nice idea :3 

I could never see it being more then 1 only because I assume the possibility chances of 2 crashing into the same planet would be impossible mathematically :P

But I do like the ideas of finding them but having to activate them again. The powering up I'm not sure how that will work out would there be a bonus to the people who provide it power? Could the more power you give the bigger the safezone expand? 

How about taxes for people who building in the safezone? So you get paid for the safezone. 

It's a nice idea :3 

How about taxes for people who building in the safezone? So you get paid for the safezone. 

I could see this but then it defeats the entire whole owning land anyways. They confirmed you can build within the safezones. So restoring it and claiming land within it would just be beneficial to them. 

I really like the idea of finding additional Arkships that can be reactivated. But I would not want them to be very common. 1 per planet would be too many. Heck, 1 per solar system would be too many. I would prefer them to be very rare and far apart so that the players have more leeway in creating their own environments and safe zones.

If there's a guaranteed safe spot in every system, never mind every planet, then there's no reason to work to build your own bases.

What if you found an arkship adrift in space? Could you deliberately crash it into a planet to make a safezone? Not to mention lore wise there are people on these ships so to avoid that any we find will have to be devoid of life and probably damaged.

Nah an arkship adrift in space should be perfectly preserved; however, there's no telling how that kind of discovery would play out.

I don't even know how you would take control of the ship, much less fly it and you would probably break it as the game isn't exactly designed to crash more arkships.

I think it would be great to have an Arkship in space somewhere because it would give builders the freedom to build massive space stations in the same way that an Arkship on the ground will result in some really fantastic cities.

Great idea, I hope they do this.

Great ideas over here!

I think an Arkship seeds should be event-released by the admin and the information of its arrival broadcasted (maybe with a count down) and not some lucky guys stumbling upon it on a faraway planet.

It would allow for some epic development with raging wars for this treasure.

Something like the Arkship sending a broadcast message to announce to all settlers their arrival in 1 month at these coordinates (x,y,z) (chosen to be near an untouched planet or at equal distance of inhabited worlds).

It would then come out of hyperspace from the galaxy we all come from.

The only way I can see this work is if Arkships aren't part of the procedural generator, i.e. Arkships are limited in number and have to be placed manually by Novaquark.

Otherwise, no matter how rare those Arkships would be, in the end procedurally spawned Arkships would result in safezones being the only viable spots to settle in the entire universe. Outside of the safe bubbles we'd only ever see mining operations and nothing else. Exciting in the first exploratory phase, yes; but very stale in the end game.

Remember that people are going to be able to connect star systems via Warp Gates at what seems to be arbitrary distances. People may have to go to great lengths to connect all safe zones with Warp Gates if Arkships are rare and Gates hard to construct. But after enough time has passed, the endgame is always the same: Nothing interesting happens outside the cuddle bubbles around the revitalized Arkships. So yes, I agree with the proposal as long as there is a hard (and very low!) limit to those crashed ships.

I'd prefer to see crashed arkships as ruins only. Maybe with some schematics or something inside. But without any chance of powering it up and turning it into a safezone. It would be a construct just like any other. Still very rare and very valuable in a sentimental way.

Based on the short story, the other arkships failed.  We are allowed to interpret that as failure to launch, failure to reach escape velocity, failure in transit to destination or failure to engage "landing" mode.  So we should hypothetically be able to find Earth with several ruins of arkships,  and we should find loose arkships, potentially with viable settlers(potential for future expansion as new starting zone after the player base successfully lands the arkship) or loose arkships without life due to power failures. In the events of the loose arkships, the player base would have to correct the problem, either through correcting navigation issues or fixing power issues/damage.  the final option of crashed ships on random planets could work well as previously suggested, i.e. they are buried under years of weather on the planet, so that perhaps that mesa over there is really an arkship - think asteroid impact if the arkship is not landing correctly, lots of matter thrown into the atmosphere thus resulting in a fully or partially covered arkship.

I also agree that there should not be many viable arkships near one another.  Further, the safe zones generated by player controlled arkships could be limited in scope and duration.  After all, we are trying to repair things that were built with more complex technology than we are carrying around with us.  There could be potential to make an arkship completely functional again after we finish re-establishing civilization, but i would imagine that would take quite some time.