Kickstarter - paypal

Heresiarch

This is my first post on this forum - please be lenient. :-)

So I just found out about this game through the pcgamer article. I looked around, found the kickstarter, and found that I like the design decisions the game makers have made so far very very much. So to make the games success more likely, I would like to support it. I would also like to get beta and alpha access for myself so I can participate in the games creation.

I did the obvious thing and made a kickstarter account for myself, and then tried to support it. Emphasis on tried though - turns out that kickstarter only supports visa, mastercard and american express. Where I am from (germany) having one of those is not the norm (I asked my friends, and could not find a single one who has that).

I do have paypal though, and have used that for several digital good purchases in the past. Is there any way for me to give money towards the kickstarter campaign (and get the corresponding rewards)?

I ended up making an account here to ask this questions, since I cannot find a way to ask it on kickstarter without supporting the project - which I am prevented from doing...

No, paypal is NOT mastercard! (wtf)

When I click on "support project" on kickstarter, I immediately get asked for the card number, expiration date, ... and so on of my visa/mastercard/american express.

Paypal does not have any of that. The paypal process would instead send me to a paypal overlay where I authenticate myself against paypal which then confirms to the website that I have agreed to the transaction. Completely different process, and there is not button on kickstarter for that.

There apparently was once a possibility to get a mastercard for a paypal account, but all google links lead to no longer existing pages. There is also paypal-prepaid.com, but that is only open to US citizens, which I am not.

TL;dr - I find no way to use my paypal account as a mastercard.

Where about's in the world are you based? Surely you would be able to get a pre-paid Visa card and use that instead?

Is there any reason you can use a Visa Debit card? Or is it something that isn't available in your country?

EDIT:

Tried this https://www.paypal.com/bm/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=xpt/account/DCIntro-outside

It's for a PayPal Debit Card which basically gives you access to anything that accepts MasterCard (I've not tried it though)

Genuinely curious, if not Visa, Mastercard or Amex  what type of debit cards do they have in Germany?

I'm from the UK American express is pretty rare but literally everyone has either a mastercard or visa debit card

I use paypal too. Paypal uses mastercard circuit to transfer money. To use your card on kickstarter you just have to write your code and expiration date that you can find on your paypal card, and mastercard will appear as your only choice after you do that (the other options greys out). I understand what you mean with "external pages to log into your paypal account", but that doesnt work on kickstarter, at least not anymore i think. It works like amazon riht now, you have to insert your informations.

I use paypal too. Paypal uses mastercard circuit to transfer money. To use your card on kickstarter you just have to write your code and expiration date that you can find on your paypal card, and mastercard will appear as your only choice after you do that (the other options greys out). I understand what you mean with "external pages to log into your paypal account", but that doesnt work on kickstarter, at least not anymore i think. It works like amazon riht now, you have to insert your informations.

Not really. My credit card is Maestro (not Mastercard) and i can use it on paypal. However, since it's not a Mastercard, kickstarter do not accept it! It's a shame because i really wanted to support the game. There are probably a lot of people in the same situation. But yeah, like the other user said, kickstarter is out of NQ's hands on the way it accepts funds in.

Tried this https://www.paypal.com/bm/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=xpt/account/DCIntro-outside

It's for a PayPal Debit Card which basically gives you access to anything that accepts MasterCard (I've not tried it though)

That just redircts me to https://www.paypal.com/bm/webapps/mpp/home

I am going to assume that whatever you see there is a US thing which is not offered to EU citizens.

Genuinely curious, if not Visa, Mastercard or Amex  what type of debit cards do they have in Germany?

I'm from the UK American express is pretty rare but literally everyone has either a mastercard or visa debit card

Most people just use their bank accounts (IBAN/BIC) to move money around or pay in shops (when not paying cash). Visa and Mastercard exist, but are only used by a minority (I think, haven't looked at statistics). And as I said, on the internet I prefer to use paypal. I had a need for a credit card at one point to use it as my payment option for the google app store. So I got a prepaid one from "Kalixa". But then they (Kalixa) went b2b only, shutting my account, I noticed that I had not used my card for anything else, and google accepted paypal by then. So I have switched that (google wallet) over to paypal and have not needed a credit card since.

I have never gotten any card from paypal, see no such information on their web page, and can not find any articles describing it by googling. Once more, I can only assume you are talking about an option exclusive to the US (like paypal-prepaid.com that I mentioned in my earlier post).

Would be nice, but Kickstarter is out of NQ's hands on the way it accepts funds in.

Yeah, and I obviously understand that. I might even end up getting a credit card just to support the game, like I did when I first started to use the google app store. But honestly, I will most likely wait until the game is released in that case, as I am sure I will be able to subscribe over steam or something (which again, easily accepts paypal).

Point is, even if I do end up getting a credit card for this - most potential supporters without one won't go to that much trouble. In other words, the project will lose out on potential supporters and money.

For reference, I have supported three games on kickstarter in the last years (shroud of the avatar, pillars of eternity, tales of numenera), all of which offered me the option to make the payment by paypal (instead of through kickstarter directly). I think those projects got about 10% of their funding through the additional option to pay via paypal (and they did not have it from the beginning of their campaigns).

It ends up being a question of the overhead being worth it for the amount of additional funding it would bring or not, which only the developers can answer. But I at least wanted to ask the question to point out that this is a real problem for some potential supporters. :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I have been patient.

I had also asked the paypal question in the AMA, just to make sure the developers heard the question.

I just read through the second part of the AMA answers, and still don't see any word about paypal.

So, does anybody have any news?

If there is only silence from the developers regarding the question (and I did my damndest to make the question heard), then I guess I'll just forget about the game for now, and hopefully hear about it anew once hits steam. *sigh*

Let's assume the KS is successful and hits the goal without my contribution - why would I bother not being able to pledge then or now if NQ later gives me the option to obtain the same perks afterwards once PayPal is an option or used as alternative?

If they plan to offer this soon or afterwards in general while the KS is successful, then I really don't see a problem here.

My problem is simply that there is no word from the developers (that I have read anywhere) about this.

A simple "We are looking into it, and hope to be able to do this and that" would be perfectly fine.

So, does anybody have any link to an answer from the developers?

I am just getting tired of not knowing anything, and I really don't think asking them to answer that question is asking too much...

If you are basically shouting "Thats a totally cool project! How can I give you my money?" - and all you get back is silence. Well, at some pont you start thinking that maybe they don't want or need your money after all.

My problem is simply that there is no word from the developers (that I have read anywhere) about this.

A simple "We are looking into it, and hope to be able to do this and that" would be perfectly fine.

So, does anybody have any link to an answer from the developers?

I am just getting tired of not knowing anything, and I really don't think asking them to answer that question is asking too much...

If you are basically shouting "Thats a totally cool project! How can I give you my money?" - and all you get back is silence. Well, at some pont you start thinking that maybe they don't want or need your money after all.

Here's a reply shortly after the KS started (few days in). Do note that this is taken from a PM however - it's not public but at the same time it shows the problem was acknowledged relatively early. At least relatively early after the KS started.

dKyt301.png

I actually expect some kind of workaround beyond or regardless of KS during or after it. Anything else would be foolish and lost money in essence. It would also not result in a potentially negative impact or sour taste where others would feel left out otherwise.

E: Before anyone possibly wonders: As it was a broad PM with no special content in general or in that snippet, it should be fine to be shown here as it touches on the vital question. Unless anyone appearing in that snippet has a problem with it - contact me otherwise. Main cause for the PM was to congratulate or reach new Alpha members.

• 1 month later...