The Tempest Mission

yamamushi

The Tempest Mission

The Tempest Mission is an inter-alliance effort to develop an advanced self sufficient deep space vehicle under a joint effort to map out space before the advent of Interstellar Stargate Networks.

HB2KXzn.jpg

The supporting game feature behind this mission is that players will have the ability to fly manually to another star system instead of using probes, although the journey would be extremely difficult it could be a very unique experience. It may take weeks or months to reach another star, but in doing so manually you would be separated from the rest of the players by several weeks time at the very least. 

We aim to provide a path to colonize deep space before stargate networks can be created, and to provide a heavy role-play focused experience for people who want to embark on a mission reminiscent of the Starship Enterprise from Star Trek. This may actually be one of the closest things to a Star Trek type experience, going on a year long mission to go where no man has gone before :P

I do want to stress that this is not an organization for everyone, as it will require a heavy amount of dedication and focus to see it through to the end. However, for those that stick to it, it may end up being an extremely rewarding and unique experience that could not be had in any other game that exists. 

The long term goals of The Tempest Mission involve creating either a web series based on our lives onboard, or blogging or something along those lines. We want to make our journey feel like we’re really going where no man has gone before and living day to day somehow.

The findings made aboard the Tempest Mission will be made publicly available after they have been screened by the participating alliances for sensitive information. We want to incentivize other groups to contribute to the project, although many groups are probably working on a similar idea.

What sets Tempest apart from other larger organizations is that we are entirely focused on this single mission. From day one, even if it takes us several months to get into space, we’re going to be focused on doing whatever it takes to make this mission become a reality.

We welcome (and are actively looking for) colonists, who are free to travel with the Tempest to ultimately depart to live on uncharted planets for the establishment of colony worlds. These colonies will be separated from the Alioth system, and it is undetermined if they will once again gain contact with the home system.

Some of these colonies may become abandoned landmarks lost to time, and some may even become wealthy and powerful centers of commerce for their regions of space. If you think what we’re doing is hardcore, think about the people who want to live on a planet separated from the rest of the game alone for who knows how long. The ultimate survival game?

This may be one of the easiest ways for players who want to go 100% solo to get what they want.

The Tempest Mission is expected to take 1 full (real life) year to complete in order to meet the standards to be set by the planning committee.

The Tempest will not immediately depart for deep space on its year-long journey however. Instead it will first make a 1 to 2 week journey into deep space to test the operating capabilities of the vessel, as well as the ability for the crew to work together in confined conditions.

After an evaluation and findings analysis period, Tempest will continue to ramp up its expedition periods until a 1 month survey has been completed satisfying all guidelines and protocols determined by the various planning committees involved in the project. The idea being that we want to know how hard it is to survive out there alone, and we want to know exactly what it’s going to take for us to go out there for a one year journey. It’s likely that the entire design of the ship may have to be re-evaluated if issues are found, but that’s part of the risk of taking on the project.

Over the course of the project, The Tempest crew are expected to provide updates, either in the form of “machinima” RP-style videos chronicling their week to week lives, or blog posts on the project website. We want to keep the entire journey feeling alive and worth being active in.

We will carry out the Tempest Mission in several stages of development, many of which will be disclosed over time.

• Staff and Media - [We Are Here] - This stage is focused on assembling a small group of players who are interested in helping to develop the media and organizational structure of the mission planning committee. This may also   involve creating a website for the organization, and promotional material for youtube, etc.
  • Mission Planning Committee - This stage is focused on producing well-written documentation on the plans for the mission. This stage will involve creating a command structure for the vessel, as well as procedures for handling threats both off and on the vessel. Much of this work may involve creating templates and other written material for later use in the mission.
  • Crew Guidelines 
  • Logistics
  • [To Be Disclosed]

[i will continue to update this post over time as the outline for the project evolves and becomes more complete.]

It goes without saying that an interest in this project would have to involve an interest in Roleplaying, as there will likely be a large emphasis on that during the duration of the journeys. This is not a mission to take on lightly, it’s going to require a lot of dedication and time put in, but I am positive that when we return home from our journey that we’re going to have a story to tell that no one will ever come close to. That’s of course, if we can pull it off successfully.

We’re looking for people who can do the following, but not limited to:

• Programming
  • Freight Logistics
  • Construction Logistics
  • Design
  • Warp Drive Maintenance
  • Security Crew
  • Navigations Crew
  • Science Crew
  • Ship Counselor(s)
  • Engineering Crew
  • Shuttle Maintenance Crew
  • Janitorial Crew (yes)
  • Research Crew
  • Bridge Crew
  • Colonists (very important, but extremely difficult role)
  • Heads of Staff

You can be creative with what you want to do, so long as it is not disruptive to the goal of the mission. For example, I want to be the ship chaplain with my character.

This mission is also not limited to players from any single organization. People from any organization are welcome to join, as I expect the formation of this mission to be an inter-alliance agreement as it matures.

I am asking any interested parties to message me directly on Discord before applying to join the Tempest community.

https://discord.gg/FRDShpt - Yamamushi

Man that is an awesome project.

I'm assuming its a one way trip. So just imagine getting stuck halfway into the voyage...or colonists who want to reconnect with the homeworld not knowing where exactly the homeworld is.

I will not join the crew of the Tempest but I will watch with great interest.

Thank you for this!

• 3 months later...

To me, this is pretty much the most interesting thing since hearing about the whole DU. Thanks for the info. 

EDIT: Welp, looks like this has been around for a while... Better late than never I guess.

There was no real use in pushing recruitment for it when I started it a few months ago. Arguably most of the people who would join an org that early on wouldn't be around in 1-2 years to actually stick with the mission.

There's a few of us who are somewhat dedicated to making this a reality, but there's still a long time between now and release to figure all of the logistics out.

The goals are going to remain the same, making deep space missions into nowhere to find new star systems, but we're just too far out to begin the organizational skills/resources planning for the mission. 

If anything, I've just been trying to get people into Pulsar and other similar games to practice working together. That will probably be the most important component of the whole idea, being able to work fluidly together. 

"

What would providing sponsorship to Tempest entail? I'm also curious as to what forms of donations and help will be acceptable. 

Cheers.

"

I had a long drive this holiday break from West Virginia to Austin, ~20 hours, so I had a bit of time to think about this, as well as listen to every DU interview again. Not much else to do while driving. Some of this is going to seem random, but I'm just putting down my thoughts on various things.

There will be two components to the mission, the first being in-game crewing and logistics. The second would involve a youtube series made around the whole project, as it's a completely unique thing that we're aiming to do that just hasn't been possible in any other game before. So in turn, crewmembers would be expected to roleplay a bit as the hours of downtime drag onwards. 

In terms of donations, we'll accept anything anyone wants to pitch in. Which isn't necessarily limited to financial donations, as much as materials and time. Much of this will be self-funded, though, and I see myself paying more for supplies and constructs than anything else. I wouldn't feel right asking for donations, seeing as how this will likely be a monstrous effort from people who are going to be directly involved in crewing the ship anyways. 

As for other types of help, I can't possibly know everything that will be involved in even building a ship capable of this type of journey, but we know we'll need a warp drive at some point, as well as respawn modules at the very least. Warp may be the hardest thing to procure, but we're not really being secretive about our intentions here.

In terms of sponsorship, crew members and experiments/projects to deploy once we reach our destination. We're also open to the idea of taking a colony of players along for the journey, but we will not be involved in the inter-politics of what happens with that colony. I think it should be treated as more of an inter-alliance neutral zone, but that's not my decision to make.

For obvious reasons, other groups may want any intelligence we gather about the composition of various star systems on our journey. To avoid any conflicts of interest or drama that could unfold through our (clearly very dangerous) mission stemming from this issue, I think it would be pertinent to publish the information freely as possible. This doesn't mean that we won't provide more accurate scanning results to groups that provide us material and other types of assistance throughout our journey, or perhaps provide results a few days before we publish them. Ultimately our findings should be made public.

It's unknown what kind of role food is going to play in Dual Universe, but assuming that we do have a need for it, part of our ship design should encompass the resources necessary to be self-sustainable. 

That also includes the means to refine our own fuel as we push further and further away from civilization. 

It would be nice to have a standby crew and ship with supplies to repair the main ship in the event that something goes wrong. This would only be useful up to a certain point, because once we reach a certain distance from Alioth or other colonized space, any help would arrive too late. It would still be useful to be able to rely on for a brief period of the trip, though.

We're clearly not going to build this thing overnight, it will be a months-long effort that wouldn't even make sense to attempt until after the stargate expansion is released. IIRC planets don't really "exist" until we visit them or find them with probes, and because the complete star-system generating features won't be ready until the stargate expansion is released, it won't make sense to try and visit star systems. If we do so before those features are ready, we may end up with star systems full of barren planets. So leaving before the stargate feature is ready is not happening.

However, that doesn't mean we won't have time to experiment a bit and figure out exactly what kinds of fuel requirements we would need, and to practice just surviving alone in space for days at a time. 

I think it's important to note that this is the entire focus of this group. We're not vying for control of territories or wanting to get sucked into inter-alliance politics. We just want to go explore space. 

Well, I'm certainly late to the party. How did I not hear about this until now?

This looks like a truly exciting undertaking. I wish you the best of luck in your endeavors, yama. Things like this capture the essence of what Dual Universe really is meant to be, and I hope this will soon become a reality. We at Cinderfall will be more than happy to support you on your journey through the stars, should you want it.

Cheers and happy New Year!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm qvery interested in applying as a crew member of this wonderful mission. So if your staff list has still some free spots, count me in.
I'll be also willing to participate in a process of ship building, by providing resources and workforce (if needed).

I have an extraordinary amount of interest in this. When I get some free time, I'll try to jump on discord.

Hard to be 100% at this time, but I believe I'll be joining if you'd be so kind as to have me. I'm not entirely certain what role/roles I'd like fill.

Nothing would make me happier, than to take part in this historical mission. A chance to truly go where nobody has gone, to expand humanities horizons and understanding of the universe around us.

Feel free to pm me if you would like to touch base.

I did already join the Cinderfall Syndicate, as I didn't see this before. I trust this is not an issue.

I'll be checking on this thread several times a day, as I have, since I saw this ambitious, genuinely unique mission.

-Regards

I "might" be able to think of "a few" reasons why. . . "MrStarWars"

Anyway interesting concept on mission, be interesting to watch it evolve, perhaps to fruition. 

oh please dont tell me you still have a sour attitude.

Moving along. Lol

So, you are wanting colonists, also wanting to return after a RL year. Are the brave souls that take on colonists to stay behind? If so, I'd wager you will need quite a large number of them for it to be successful.

• 3 weeks later...

Moving along. Lol

So, you are wanting colonists, also wanting to return after a RL year. Are the brave souls that take on colonists to stay behind? If so, I'd wager you will need quite a large number of them for it to be successful.

I'd like to believe the ship will be big enough to carry enough cargo for them to be self-sustaining rather quickly. It would be extremely difficult for them to live disconnected from the rest of the server population, but I imagine at some point they'd either create their own ships to get back to Alioth or create a stargate of their own.

We're not really responsible for anything but getting them to a planet, though, so after we unload them and continue on our way it's up to them to figure things out for themselves. 

I'd like to believe that any organization or group of organizations that come together to establish a colony like that would have some sort of plan in place before we left Alioth... 

• 5 months later...

I can't wait for this mission to start. I was already excited for DU, but this just keeps me coming back daily to check in the very very VERY unlikely chance if it being released before Sept haha. 

I really look forward to exploring our galactic neighbourhood with all of you.

We going to do any of this during the alpha testing phase?  Even if it's time limited and they wipe after, we can still test some of the warp mechanics, and general interstellar and interplanetary traveling.

If anyone has steam, feel free to add me.

Kuro Avuli

Maybe I could make a group or something similar for easier comms once the mission is underway