Crashing? Towing?

Xplosiv

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone heard anything more about ship crashing or damage via collisions/ to your own ship even, not others?

I would hope this would be the case, that constructs can crash and be destroyed, but that still presents a game play issue.  Players could crash big blobs of whatever on enemy bases and bury them even if it doesn't hurt the building.  Of course, crashed ships could simply be destroyed and disappear.  But again that would create a "burned earth" incentive to crash your own ship to prevent being pirated.

I'm curious to see how this is going to work.

LOL shinny

Does anybody have any interest in being able to tow ships?

Well there was a thread on transporting items, there was a question on how to transport other people's ships, as it would be difficult for a transport company to move a customers ship on an off his freighter. Also I was reading an other thread where a guy wants to build a train service. So when I saw this it caught my attention. With the ability to tow or link two constructs together could open up both of these possiblitys, probably many more. Would have to be some kind of permissions system tho because of "Dude where's my ship!"

Well there was a thread on transporting items, there was a question on how to transport other people's ships, as it would be difficult for a transport company to move a customers ship on an off his freighter. Also I was reading an other thread where a guy wants to build a train service. So when I saw this it caught my attention. With the ability to tow or link two constructs together could open up both of these possiblitys, probably many more. Would have to be some kind of permissions system tho because of "Dude where's my ship!"

Yes, I agree permissions would be needed. I've just been wondering, because you can in space engineers. All you have to do is lock on to another ship with your landing gear, and away you go.  Well I guess in SE your ship needs to have enough power to lift the weight of the ship being towed. Kinda funny how I figured it out, I overloaded a ship and couldn't even get it off the ground. So I grabbed a larger ship and picked it right up. Don't think by the sounds of it, that physics won't play such a large roll in DU. 

Interested in this for reasons of running a salvage operation on the large scale.

Interesting!  I have been wondering if you will be able to "break down" other peoples constructs back into usable materials. 

Interesting! I have been wondering if you will be able to "break down" other peoples constructs back into usable materials.

- Salvaging is a totally different thing, that might be implemented later (possibly after official release) under two possible forms: harvesting scraps of a destroyed construct in battle, or "reprocessing" a whole construct meaning scrapping it entirely to take back a good part (not all) of the materials originally used to make the construct.

Best regards,

Nyzaltar.

Hope that answers your question. :)

For the "crash" questions:

There already is a topic with a good amount of info, suggestions and opinions on this matter:

https://board.dualthegame.com/index.php?/topic/10055-collision-damage-workaround-suggestions

I would like to invite you to join the discussion :)

Physically correct crash damage like in SE won't be a thing in DU, but NQ said that they remain open for workaround suggestions.

Besides the technical limitations, balancing would be a not-to-underestimate task, and there are a lot of different opinions about the possible gameplay effects of this matter (battle tactics, griefing etc.).

So it's not only about the question if it could be implemented, it's also about if it should.

(if you ask me, I'm definitely on the pro collision damage side ;) )

For the "crash" questions:

There already is a topic with a good amount of info, suggestions and opinions on this matter:

https://board.dualthegame.com/index.php?/topic/10055-collision-damage-workaround-suggestions

I would like to invite you to join the discussion :)

Physically correct crash damage like in SE won't be a thing in DU, but NQ said that they remain open for workaround suggestions.

Besides the technical limitations, balancing would be a not-to-underestimate task, and there are a lot of different opinions about the possible gameplay effects of this matter (battle tactics, griefing etc.).

So it's not only about the question if it could be implemented, it's also about if it should.

(if you ask me, I'm definitely on the pro collision damage side ;) )

Well i started this thread before that one was created... I just hope its not like no mans sky where, your ship cant fly under 50m above the ground, then a auto-landing sequence is initiated. 

@xplosiv

I don't think it'll be like in NMS, because it would most likely make it a bit complicated to land on player made constructs, like on landing pads or even in hangars.

But being able to come close to the surface doesn't necessarily mean that your ship will take damage if it crashes...

@xplosiv

I don't think it'll be like in NMS, because it would most likely make it a bit complicated to land on player made constructs, like on landing pads or even in hangars.

But being able to come close to the surface doesn't necessarily mean that your ship will take damage if it crashes...

LOL yeah trying to land on those pads in nms was a dam nightmare, you miss then you have to use you boosters 

AGAIN to take off and try again! DAM that game!

I guess I want ships to take damage from hitting things, because it makes flying a little more exciting. Instead of going 1000mph into a wall and nothing happens.