Crashing? Towing?

Xplosiv

This might have come up already, ignore if so. 

I am wondering if you can crash your ship into the ground. I hope it is not like No Mans Sky, where you can not crash your ship. Takes all the skill and fun out of flying. Also wondering about crash physics.  Somewhat realistic crash physics like space engineers hopefully. 

Anyone know if they are gonna have locking landing gear like Space Engineers? I was playing SE, built a small welding ship. Filled it to the brim..... it couldn't handle the weight and "sank" to the ground. I was unable to move it. I was able with a larger ship, to "tow" it by locking onto it with the landing gear. Than bring it back up to the base connector. I Hope things like this are possible in Dual Universe. 

I was hoping for there to be wheels in the game. I was thinking of making a small ship dolly/cart for hangers. I read in sombodys post that NQ confirmed no wheels. Maybe i can make one from the hovercraft items. But wheels would be able to take the weight, if physics like that are going to play a role in the game. 

This might have come up already, ignore if so. 

I am wondering if you can crash your ship into the ground. I hope it is not like No Mans Sky, where you can not crash your ship. Takes all the skill and fun out of flying. Also wondering about crash physics.  Somewhat realistic crash physics like space engineers hopefully. 

Anyone know if they are gonna have locking landing gear like Space Engineers? I was playing SE, built a small welding ship. Filled it to the brim..... it couldn't handle the weight and "sank" to the ground. I was unable to move it. I was able with a larger ship, to "tow" it by locking onto it with the landing gear. Than bring it back up to the base connector. I Hope things like this are possible in Dual Universe. 

I was hoping for there to be wheels in the game. I was thinking of making a small ship dolly/cart for hangers. I read in sombodys post that NQ confirmed no wheels. Maybe i can make one from the hovercraft items. But wheels would be able to take the weight, if physics like that are going to play a role in the game. 

It would be cool to have those physical crashing but I believe they said that blocks wouldn't be realistic. They said they would be like minecraft where they float. But they only mentioned it for buildings, for all we know the physics for ships may be alot different. I also believe they aren't going to have any type of wheels, I think i remember reading somewhere that they are still thinking on some things so idk.

I hope NQ does add wheels, if not before the game's official release then at least in a future update, because like Xplosiv mentioned, it would be helpful with things like towing ships and other vehicles, as well as moving resources and supplies around a storage warehouse or space/planet trade/shipping port. But if you could do all that with just hovering technology, or even do more and better things than with wheels then it will be good.

Space Engineers has pretty robust physics, and it can cause a lot of problems for them. I don't think you should expect such an intense and unforgivable physics engine to be present in Dual Universe. At this point I don't think even the devs really know for sure what the effects, limitations, and penalties will be for ship collisions. I imagine it will be pretty simplistic at the launch of the alpha though.

I must admit the physics thing is something I'd like to see added, at some point. Adds a whole world of possibilities...
Angry at another faction? Fly your ship into their house to display your anger...
Have a pesky Super Star Destroyer firing at you? Ram their command deck with a one man fighter!
Got shot out of the sky?! Have fun crashing to the ground, leaving a trail of disturbed earth in your wake!

Obviously there should be counters to such things. Shields, thicker hulls, heavier armor, weapons, etc.
But still, it would be fun I think.

I suppose wheels would be a bit out dated in the universe. I guess if physics aren't a issue, then a hover cart/dolly will have to work. 

Lol  IffyCougar my destroyers will have secondary control rooms!!! Plus you're gonna have to get close first  B)

since we are roleplaying in a way here it would be cool to come up with assembly lines.  where the ship moves down a line as certain people build certain parts. Or in a hanger pilots only need to land in one certain spot, then the hanger crew could move that ship without getting in it. 

I must admit the physics thing is something I'd like to see added, at some point. Adds a whole world of possibilities...

Angry at another faction? Fly your ship into their house to display your anger...

Have a pesky Super Star Destroyer firing at you? Ram their command deck with a one man fighter!

Got shot out of the sky?! Have fun crashing to the ground, leaving a trail of disturbed earth in your wake!

Obviously there should be counters to such things. Shields, thicker hulls, heavier armor, weapons, etc.

But still, it would be fun I think.

LOOOOLm thats why my ships will have secondary decks! XDDDD

I suppose wheels would be a bit out dated in the universe. I guess if physics aren't a issue, then a hover cart/dolly will have to work. 

Lol  IffyCougar my destroyers will have secondary control rooms!!! Plus you're gonna have to get close first  B)

since we are roleplaying in a way here it would be cool to come up with assembly lines.  where the ship moves down a line as certain people build certain parts. Or in a hanger pilots only need to land in one certain spot, then the hanger crew could move that ship without getting in it. 

LOOOOLm thats why my ships will have secondary decks! XDDDD

Well, as the crew of Vader's SSD can testify that might not always help you.

If it does I'll send 10 more fighters at you.

If those fail I'll demolish you with my superior ships and strategy.

If you somehow manage to survive I'll simply fly my flagship into yours and kill us both.

Physics, fun!

Well, as the crew of Vader's SSD can testify that might not always help you.

If it does I'll send 10 more fighters at you.

If those fail I'll demolish you with my superior ships and strategy.

If you somehow manage to survive I'll simply fly my flagship into yours and kill us both.

Physics, fun!

Muahahahaha  too bad my spy has already disabled your engines and planted the bomb.....  :ph34r:

but yeah no one has said,  anything about ship crashing or towing come on!

Muahahahaha  too bad my spy has already disabled your engines and planted the bomb.....  :ph34r:

but yeah no one has said,  anything about ship crashing or towing come on!

You think you have spies?! I'd watch your back if I were you, never really know who's flying your ship until it's collided with the moon...

Space Engineers has pretty robust physics, and it can cause a lot of problems for them. I don't think you should expect such an intense and unforgivable physics engine to be present in Dual Universe. At this point I don't think even the devs really know for sure what the effects, limitations, and penalties will be for ship collisions. I imagine it will be pretty simplistic at the launch of the alpha though.

As a space engineers player I concur.

A game can really be either a realistic collision physics simulator, OR be a massive multiplayer online game, but NOT BOTH based on obvious netcode limitations. A game just can't keep track if that many player's mass, speed, and collisions all at once.

Plus with a tab-lock combat system as already discussed, there is no need at all for realistic physics, as projectiles simply won't be tracked, they will just be calced as hits or misses. Adding collision and physics based voxel deformation is just not going to happen.

Physics might be intensive on the game. Space Engineers struggles a lot with FPS and such things because of it and I don't want to see DU with FPS issues. But basic physics that are only active on in use objects maybe? or some system around the lag?

Maybe, maybe not. You might find that hitting something at a certain speed might do damage to your ship, but it might be something like taking fall damage in an RPG: its a deterrant that either dings your health bar or kills you, and probably will be a very simple mechanic. It might damage Elements on that face of the ship (side swiping something on the left damaging your left engine, etc) and that WOULD be pretty slick, since losing an engine by accidentally colliding during a dogfight could cause you to straight up crash and die, and that would be pretty slick.

I don't have my heart set on it though, i've still got SE if i want a realistic spaship crashing simulator.

I dont want to be a negative nancy but JC said colliding constructs will not do any damage.

He said its not really about the physics its a gameplay issue. He does not want that people will start making constructs with the intent of crashing as a form of attack. He made a very good comparison but I cant remember right now what his exact words were.

Of course with the game being pre alpha things might change. But thats what he is thinking right now.

I dont want to be a negative nancy but JC said colliding constructs will not do any damage.

He said its not really about the physics its a gameplay issue. He does not want that people will start making constructs with the intent of crashing as a form of attack. He made a very good comparison but I cant remember right now what his exact words were.

Of course with the game being pre alpha things might change. But thats what he is thinking right now.

And I would say that is probably for the best. For example, in space engineers, ramming and collision based weapons were far FAR more effective than turrets and missiles at destroying structures, and arguably more effective at destroying ships as well. The only real reason to use turrets instead would be to disable a ship or structure to salvage or steal. Ramming was, and is, so effective that virtually every multiplayer server made it a bannable offense.

I'd rather not lose my org HQ to people repeatedly crashing into it with starter ships thanks.

well i just think, that not being able to crash your ship takes away from the fun of flying a ship. like in no mans sky, that was just dumb. 

-My favorite thing to fly is helicopters in GTA5, possibly the most fun i've ever had flying. chasing down people in their cars and blowing them up with the attack chopper. once i had blown up so many personal  vehicles in a day, they booted me to the "dunce" games. so much fun.