Let Us Take Credit For Our Work

Vorengard

My argument for why we should be able to put our names on our products.

Blueprints should have Player and/or Organization names for branding purposes

People like being known, and they like showing off when they do something cool. So blueprint designs should retain the name of the person who made them so that people can develop reputations for being excellent ship/station/modual/etc designers. Not only will this inspire people to try hard and reward them for being great, it will favor competition between organizations. Org A will try and destroy Org B because Org B designs better ships, so they cut into the profits of Org A. Alternatively, people will hire Org B to design a cool new ship for them because they've proven they have people who know how to make good ships.

Such a system would also provide the possibility for groups to sell their services to people without the time or inclination to build things themselves. It opens up a whole new world where people can be "that guy who designs the best buildings" or "the woman who plans the best space stations". Then they can use that reputation to sell their services to large, wealthy groups that want something built specially for them, but don't necessarily have the time or expertise to do it themselves. One of my biggest problems with crafting in other games is that you can't really show off if you're good at it. Everyone knows the top pvpers, but nobody's heard of the best crafters. That should change.

I realize it would most likely be unwise to list names on individual market orders, like who is selling what. But I don't see any reason why you would deny people the ability to broadcast their designs, creations, and services. Just include an option to disable the name for people who don't want the publicity.

Thoughts?

Edit: Sorry, no clue how it got double posted. Fixed

Yeah Second Life has an info window you can bring up that shows who created it and who last modified it along with the editable permissions.  Though SL does in game money to RL money, so that gets into some weird copyright, theft issues.  Not sure if something similar will happen here.

This definitely needs to be a mechanic in the game. Some sort of assurance that when people make something they are guaranteed to be the sole author of that something, unless someone else replicates it from scratch. It will really drive people to put work and effort into making awesome things. That's definitely an important factor, I know I won't have much motivation to try hard on a ship if I think someone else is just going to steal it and take credit for it. That's why I can spend so much time making things for Space Engineers like I have, because I can put it up in my name and it is there permanently with me as the author.

Good idea, they had similar in UO. Items were crafted by 'Name'.  It ended up with people getting reputations as good builders and getting better business when their 'brand' starts to appear everywhere. It also caused alot of new crafters appearing with alot cooler names, Crafted by 'Boss' for example.  Have to start thinking of cool brand names :mellow:

Landmark analogy again - after some time after the release of alpha, developers included a system which was able to highlight the creator of each voxel. It worked in the way that whenever a voxel has been added by a player or altered by doing some voxel magic stuff (like for example in tutorial shown below). That basically led to situation, that many talented people (let's call them inventors like Fugazi or Ahnzul - those who were part of LM will know who they are) were even more recognisible within the community. Considering the fact there were many competitions based on building stuff in LM, stealing (by copying someone's work and including it as "mine") was something that never happened since that implementation. From what I understood, this kind of thing is quite easy to implement and I vote for something similar (or even the same) in Dual Universe.

Oh, the promised link -

Perhaps somebody should start a poll on it? That might garner a bit more attention from NQ. Not to say they aren't already reading this, but if not, a poll will get their attention better than a "normal" thread.

By the way...totally agree! This may or may not have been brought up briefly in another thread, but it is nice to see one dedicated to it.

Dunno if ya'll have seen it, but in the "Boobie and Wiener" part of the AMA, it has been stated that an object will be tagged with the name of the creator.

I'm curious to how that will look. I wonder if you have to dig through interfaces to actually see.