Flight model in DU

Hampius

Either I've missed something or it's a topic that hasn't been mentioned yet. 

What do you guys think which kind of flight model (talking about those smaller ships, let's say up to corvette or something like that in size) is there supposed to be implemented?
Don't know about you guys, but I really wouldn't like to fly ships in a way No Man's Sky does, which is just plain bad (well, maybe not as bad as in i.e. Everspace, which is total arcadish). Also, I guess I won't see something like Elite: Dangerous, because it's pretty complex and probably very hard to implement in this kind of game (correct me if I'm wrong?).

What are your oppinions on this subject?

Kind regards,

Hampius

PS. Please forgive me if a thread like this was already created somewhere...

For small, fighter class ships, a simple ADWS and Mouse controlled simple would do fine. For larger ships, it would make sense for there to be a slightly more advanced system. For example, you could predefine the flight path. There should also be an option to manually control the larger ships, in the event that the path ahead could be changing and be unpredictable. (Such as inside an astroid belt where there are astroids flying everywhere)

For small, fighter class ships, a simple ADWS and Mouse controlled simple would do fine. For larger ships, it would make sense for there to be a slightly more advanced system. For example, you could predefine the flight path. There should also be an option to manually control the larger ships, in the event that the path ahead could be changing and be unpredictable. (Such as inside an astroid belt where there are astroids flying everywhere)

In my oppinion even the simplest (not taking some complex physics into consideration) 6DOF would be better for smaller ships.

Give me the RAW input and RAW output, and let me run with it.

I'd like to see maneuvering thrusters work with the inertia of the ship.

I'd like the control unit to accept KB, Mouse, and multiple Analog Inputs (sticks and pedals).

Other than that, let the gamers make it work.  :P

Give me the RAW input and RAW output, and let me run with it.

I'd like to see maneuvering thrusters work with the inertia of the ship.

I'd like the control unit to accept KB, Mouse, and multiple Analog Inputs (sticks and pedals).

Other than that, let the gamers make it work.  :P

Agreed.

It would be awesome if the flight model was programmable. Maybe i'm too pampered with Elite and Star Citizen, but i would love the ability to do/use my complete HOTAS + Pedals setup to control the ships. If the flight model is not that advanced from the autowire, it would be awesome if the players could go as deep into the scriptiong to actually make it work.

If i got it right, the devs said that you can programm your own ship control by LUA scripting... Nevertheless if somebody knows Stac Conflict, it has a 3-axis flight control (which means you can rotate and accelerate your ship in every direction) which i personally liked very much as it was fast to learn but still capable of doing some great maneuvers. I'd really enjoy to see if the maneuverability should depend on your ships design, which means on how you place steering-thrusters. Same goes for larger ships which could/should be supported by scripted AI to even create flightpaths.