Planet and Zone Area Effects

Blacksythe

The universe is a hazardous place and without the right tools to survive on a somewhat inhospitable planet one is unlikely to do so. Here is what i propose as just a few.

Heat - Some planets/zones are just too hot to survive outside a ship without proper heat protection a player with high enough skills should be able to craft suits or shields so they can take advantage of this. Building a base there would require more energy to keep the base cool.

Cold - Same as heat

Radiation - From a crashed ark ship/aliens perhaps or a planet with a large amount of radioactivity.

Poor Atmosphere - Kind of a combination of the above. I am sure there are more but I leave it open for discussion.

Advantages provides a more unique gameplay and opportunities to have rarer resources here but they will be more difficult to get.

Maintaining a base here will be more difficult and costly but if managed would mean it is more difficult to attack and raid successfully.

I'm a fan of the idea of adding different environments for the players of DU to survive in. However, I think the Devs plan on doing this by using Biomes. If you've ever played Minecraft, you will understand what this means. Basically, a single biome could consist of let's say, a forest, or a plane, or some hills, perhaps a snowy version of them too. I don't think there will be environments that can go from really rainy to really hot. It'll either be one or the other.

This takes in a few aspects. They have been discussed to varying degrees in past post.

From my recolection the devs will not impliment temperatures or 'enclosed'enviroments (like ships) for the near future. Basically it comes down to resources and performing the calculations to determine these thing. But it has been mentioned amd suggested that some planets will have harsher enviroments than others. But I dont know what they would mean on that.

Now these would be discussions that took place a few months ago. I do hope they plan to impliment some of these aspects post launch. Especially internal ship atmospheres like in Space engineers.

They said 1 biome per planet planned right know, not mix (because it requires time, maybe after release)

Yes. All the more reason to regenerate the planets completely. I really think multiple biomes would be nice for each planet, but it can wait until we have the game release to look forward to.

Although, it looks like planets already have a bit of differentiation to them, with the plains we saw to the forests.