Asteroids and deep space stuff?

guttertrash

I haven't been able to find any mention of it, does anyone know if there will be any type of asteroids or other resources in space that would allow for a space faring civilization to exist? perhaps even have something equivalent of an ark ship that lets you create a safe zone of some sort (if for no other reason than to leave stuff when you logout) in deep space? 

It would be a shame if there was no possible way to live nomadically. I feel like the game would be really lacking if there wasn't some provision for cultures to shun planetary life and live in the darkness of space away from all the planetary politics and empires

It's probably been mentioned but in the few minutes i searched for an answer i found nothing. 

I do believe there will be asteroids and the like within the universe, though I don't have any confirmation on that from the devs. However, it'd simply make more sense for something like this to exist in such a game.

I really hope so lets just use the power of positive thinking to ensure it finds its way into the game *Squints really hard* there will be asteroids, there will be asteroids there will.. *trails off* 

You can traverse from one system to another the pedestrian way if you don't wanna use the jumpgates and there's a collective speculation on finding comets in deep space, or really big asteroids. The point is, it would a massive undertanking to build on top of an asteroid, let alone having fuel to traverse so deep into interstellar space. So yeah, being a possible "whale hunt" in space for minerals, sure, but being an "ultra mega secret dark base in the middle of nowhere", eh, quite difficult but possible.

Mining deep space asteroids is impractical, given how hard it would be to locate them, but asteroid belts might fit the bill for interstellar mining, since asteroids typically have nearly pure ores and resources in them, making them lucrative. Maybe some asteroids could come in or out of systems, making the dynamics just a little bit more interesting.

I'm hoping we do have asteroids.  I don't want to live on one, but it would be really cool to mine them. 

Maa'am, given The Ancient One's joint's - called Blackguard - manifesto, it's quite possible that people will be blowing up said asteroid bases via nukes. Just sayin', the whole "Want what we need" "need what we want" "take what we need" mentality is gonna attract what they might not want :P .

I think asteroids was a separate question from exploring deep space?

I'm expecting asteroids within solar systems that can be mined to be relatively common. Seems like asteroids in deep space would be rare, yes.

Safe zones surrounding traveling spaceships seems unlikely.

My impression is that the devs want to allow us to set up new safe zones on worlds, but not on ships.

Great question for the devs!!

I think asteroids was a separate question from exploring deep space?

Yes and no could be either way, I dont want too much hang up on terminology of what defines deep space, vs solar system. I just mean outside of the immediate range of planets and where people will primarily congregate. 'the fringe' we'll call it for now :) 

Safe zones surrounding traveling spaceships seems unlikely.

I don't mean to have a travelling space ship that's invulnerable, but rather define a section of space or space station as some kind of similar zone to what the ark ship creates. but without having to be on planet, there was some discussion about people making cities outside the ark ship zone and somehow defining them as indestructible unless someone does something to contest it or whatever. a similar mechanic would be what i'm looking for not necessarily a permanent safe zone like the starting zones but a contestable one. even if it had to be focused around an asteroid or some other small stellar body even. 

I'm expecting asteroids within solar systems that can be mined to be relatively common. Seems like asteroids in deep space would be rare, yes.

as long as there is a way to live out of planet for extended periods of time, ideally permanently 

https://board.dualthegame.com/index.php?/topic/296-devblog-territory-control/?p=946

My impression is that we will be pushed to travel interstellar space as we deplete worlds of resources.

Apparently, we will be able to set up TUs in space... I'm guessing the range of Arkification for a bubble territory in space will be quite controversial.

Part of the challenge of the game will be maintaining a safe zone for months or years.

Once we  move past a solar system, we should be able to find remote locales off the beaten path. 

But, who knows what kinds of scanners people will discover or develop.

It may be that marauders eventually come hunting your world for resources or other loot. And I expect there to be a means for rivals to de-Arkify territories.

You'll just have to try to acquire a new Arkification token before others encroach on your territory.

https://board.dualthegame.com/index.php?/topic/296-devblog-territory-control/?p=946

My impression is that we will be pushed to travel interstellar space as we deplete worlds of resources.

Apparently, we will be able to set up TUs in space... I'm guessing the range of Arkification for a bubble territory in space will be quite controversial.

Part of the challenge of the game will be maintaining a safe zone for months or years.

Once we  move past a solar system, we should be able to find remote locales off the beaten path. 

But, who knows what kinds of scanners people will discover or develop.

It may be that marauders eventually come hunting your world for resources or other loot. And I expect there to be a means for rivals to de-Arkify territories.

You'll just have to try to acquire a new Arkification token before others encroach on your territory.

I hope theres a limit on how many arktification tokens a group can use because it could be unbalanced. hust my opinion btw

I hope theres a limit on how many arktification tokens a group can use because it could be unbalanced. hust my opinion btw

I'm worried about that as well, since if we're not careful we could end up with a bunch of little islands whose walls are impregnable, something that I believe none of us wants, as one of the best parts of these types of games is the fact that you never become invincible.

I just want space gypsies like me to have a way to harvest resources required or log out safely without constantly needing to revisit 'civilization' all the time

That's a great notion oh Ancient One, but it would still be an undertaking build, as well as a tracking effort to know where your asteroid base is, if orbits and trajectories are in the game. A planet, you can see in a system, you can tell by whatever biome it is. An asteroid... it's a rock. In space. There are many rocks in space :P

While they're not asteroids something akin to the Warhammer 40k Space Hulks would be awesome to encounter while traveling around in deep space. A wealth of minerals and maybe some tech if you're lucky.

-In the teaser you can see some rocks in space, when the ship travels to the space station. (Ofc since it is a teaser, doesn't mean much). 

-There's likely going to be resources, asteroids and stuff in space.

-You're likely not going to be able to create a safezone, but to claim a "bubble" (mentioned in the devblog about territorial units if i remember correctly). A claimed territory (or bubble) is not invincible, but good enough to protect your stuff while you're offline. 

Regarding the possibility to hide in deep space. i doubt it, for the simple reason, that would kill PVP. Everyone would do that, so my guess is:

-You'll have the possibility to do that.

-You'll need to keep transporting resources, fuel, and maybe even survival stuff like food,water,oxygen. To transport it you need to travel physically with your ship (there's no teleport), so you can't just travel 5 days away from the outer orbit of the solar system. The distance you'd create that bubble will be limited. 

-There'll be scanners/exploration probes, and people will have a chance to find your signature. If they decide to check, they'll find you. 

-This is a multiplayer game, with a strong pvp component. I do expect (actually I'm sure, because there's no other way to make it work), that if you decide to avoid the pvp component entirely, you'll be pretty limited on what you can do ingame. Specifically:

-Mining/gathering is a pvp activity. if you want to mine precious stuff, and make money out of it, you'll have to take risks.

-Territory control requires fighting = PVP

-There are likely not going to be safezones, beside the Arkship area. There may be some kind of protection for solo player or for people who just want to design/build (I hope not, maybe just a "virtual room" to design blueprints), but don't expect to build an large base in a safezone.

-Trading requires PVP, since markets are local, you'd need to travel in space, and space is a pvp area.