New gameplay footage!

nietoperek

IGN is a cesspool where journalistic integrity goes to die. Yeah, because No Man's Sky has voxels and a building system.... right. I almost liked IGN for a short moment. But still, the shaders look nice in the engine and the rendering distance seems almost as if they utilise dynamic resolutions to keep the processing needs low, while maintaining the general shapes when observing from a distance. 

Yes really pleased to see the space station doesn't look melted and unidentifiable from a long (and even short) distance. Really looking forward to be able to appreciate buildings and ships when I admire various views.

That planet size tho. So excited for this game now. Hell, I'll take the tech demo as the game!

Those planets need to be shrunk. They are waaaay too big and if the devs were honest, 30 km radius worlds will overshoot the entire size of Great Britain. And Great Britain, is not very densely populated you know. Unless we count sheep in the mix. Then the population per square kilometer evens out :P

Those planets need to be shrunk. They are waaaay too big and if the devs were honest, 30 km radius worlds will overshoot the entire size of Great Britain. And Great Britain, is not very densely populated you know. Unless we count sheep in the mix. Then the population per square kilometer evens out :P

Ark has a decent map size for the amount of people the servers support. Yet, on an official server that was full all the time, it wasn't big enough., nor did it have enough resources to support everyone 24/7. We had to wait for things to respawn. Yes, it is a little large in terms of population per square kilometer, but this is a game, and people need that room to distance themselves from the people who are just wanting to kill. also think like this, say 25k people start playing on day one. If the planet isn't big enough to support those people on resources, it will be a bad time.

It seems to me that the ship sizes I have been building will be easily doable for a solo player. However the spacestation size helps to showcase why we will need to be working together to make large structures...there is simply no way one person could build something that massive, detailed, and fully functional in a short period of time. I would say that space station would take at least a year to fully flesh out with working elements for one person and that does not include faming.

I am impressed to say the least.

Really impressive guys! It seems like you've got a real tech breakthrough that breaks down a lot of the barriers for this kind of concept...

And any time you cite Ready Player One as a goal, is fine by me ;)

I'd normally agree... but... this is serving up the potential for the population centers to be player driven. So, if cities spring up with a good economy and other elements, that's where players will go. We truly haven't had that, not even in SWG.

So the universe may be massive, ripe for exploration... but just like real humans, we'll gravitate to small parts of it when we need to feel grounded :)

Its ok, we will have to stay on such an initial planet for several months, so its great if a few thousand people wont be able to completely explore it within a few days.

Additionally not the whole surface of the planet will be interesting for players.

They seemed an appropriate size to me, if anything a bit small which is understandable given the nature of what they are. If they are too small, then you could have a single organization take up the whole planet and claim it for their own.

Which now that I think about it sounds like an amazing idea...mugghhaaaaaaaaaa

I think that planet sizes should be different from each other -  we can have big planets with 30 km diameter and small "rocks" with 1 km radius with medium 10 km planets between. And yes, taking whole small planet for pirate base wretched hive of scum and villainy is something I look forward to  :D

After lurking for a year, I'm extremely thrilled about the progress with dual! I can't wait. I was a very early backer of Star Citizen and plan to do the same here. Dual fits more of what I want out of a space game over SC so, I'm very excited. Can't wait to see more in the future!.

They seemed an appropriate size to me, if anything a bit small which is understandable given the nature of what they are. If they are too small, then you could have a single organization take up the whole planet and claim it for their own.

Which now that I think about it sounds like an amazing idea...mugghhaaaaaaaaaa

Given the hint TrihXeen provided, I have realised why the planet is that big. It's the starting area, duh :P

And your yaarrrrguement is pretty solid good sir.

So, I watched it.

(Cue ZOMGS if you've seen my previous posts)

I have to say, I'm very impressed

(Cue saying I'm not only impressed I'm just amazed that NQ can sit on something like this quietly!)

So yeah.

Still love that hand though.

I thought the planet looked smallish, by no means a criticism at all. But that's in relation to the size of the station. Either way I love it. I've been wanting purpose and building to co-exist for a while. Although Minecraft does provide purposeful building, as we know, it by no means provides the level of detail a game such as this can provide.

I imagine a determined and relentless organization could eventually come to dominate a planet if they have the numbers and ambition to do it.

So, I watched it.(Cue ZOMGS if you've seen my previous posts)I have to say, I'm very impressed(Cue saying I'm not only impressed I'm just amazed that NQ can sit on something like this quietly!)So yeah.Still love that hand though.

It is a sexy looking hand that's for sure ^_^

I'm sure that there are varying planet sizes, with procedural generation its very possible. The planet he was located on could have very well been an inhabitable moon.

I'm sure that there are varying planet sizes, with procedural generation its very possible. The planet he was located on could have very well been an inhabitable moon.

JC pans the camera back to showcase it was the same size as a neighbouring world , the one the city was located on the E3 trailer, and both orited a star. So no, it was no moon good sir.

Given the hint TrihXeen provided, I have realised why the planet is that big. It's the starting area, duh :P

And your yaarrrrguement is pretty solid good sir.

All my arguments are. :P

The hand?!? one thing that will probably mess with me will be the hand. I'm right handed so playing a character with a left hand interaction is going to be.....out in left field for my brain.

On a personal note I loved the video. As i was eating my cup of chicken noodle soup my jaw literally dropped when i saw how the voxel creations work and the size of the station! It really gave me a better understanding of how this game exceeds my expectations!

JC pans the camera back to showcase it was the same size as a neighbouring world , the one the city was located on the E3 trailer, and both orited a star. So no, it was no moon good sir.

Ah okay, well I was just stating that, its totally possible to generate planets of varying size. That is part of the beauty of procedural generation. It's still early some I'm sure its not fully optimized I wouldn't be too concerned about the planets being too small. The big question is how big can they make them without degrading performance. That will likely determine the max size of a planet.

Ah okay, well I was just stating that, its totally possible to generate planets of varying size. That is part of the beauty of procedural generation. It's still early some I'm sure its not fully optimized I wouldn't be too concerned about the planets being too small. The big question is how big can they make them without degrading performance. That will likely determine the max size of a planet.

Perhaps by the algorithm dictating the size of a planet by the number of them existing in a system, or possibly, the number of stars per system. Therefore, you could get a giant planet, like 70 km radius, or seven planets of 10 km radius. This my theory, having iinkered with such algorithms. I expect something similar, not quite the same though, as they aim for different type of planets depending on their distance from the star, or the nature of the star itself. A neutron star will probably have barren desert worlds around it with many heavy metals and other radioactive minerals in them, while a system like our owns will have lushful jungles but quite normal on the mineral scale.

The hand?!? one thing that will probably mess with me will be the hand. I'm right handed so playing a character with a left hand interaction is going to be.....out in left field for my brain.

On a personal note I loved the video. As i was eating my cup of chicken noodle soup my jaw literally dropped when i saw how the voxel creations work and the size of the station! It really gave me a better understanding of how this game exceeds my expectations!

Hadn't noticed that, good job I'm left hander ^_^

What I really wonder is if the game will have a melee system, utilising the Daikatana gameplay ( a bad example, but the combat was solid on melee). Cause them corridors look pretty tight for a shotgun and sword situation.