State of out-of-ship combat?

Hi guys and gals,

Pardon me, if I made mistake, but is anywhere on forum some topic/recap on combat based on avatar? I mean infantry stuff, not piloting; I read few topics about fights mechanic and all of them describe ship vs. ship situation.

If topic is in wrong place, pleas feel free to remove it ;)

There'll be targetlocked ground-combat between players (without constructs involved).

actually, the target-locking is meant for ships only. Ground combat remains to be seen and demonstrated. There's a talk about "cone of fire" lock-on, like TERA online. Perhaps in the gameplay video next week we'll see something about it. The thing is they don't intend for Dual to be an RNG or an Attributes game. It's first-person for a reason >_>

Two posts, two different opinions. Can I ask someone (maybe from Alpha Team) for clarification?

The Alpha Team Members are not devs. They are people selected to join the Alpha by the devs. You can search for the devblogs or the Ask Us Anything thread though.

Two posts, two different opinions. Can I ask someone (maybe from Alpha Team) for clarification?

The combat system is still under development and there is very limited information on it so far. What we do know is that FPS style gameplay will not be possible because this game aims to make it possible for thousands of players to participate in a single battle simultaneously. To make this possible, some kind of target locking mechanism is required to minimise the strain on the server. This goes for any kind of combat whether it is in space, in the air, on the ground, in vehicles or not.

Beyond that we can only give ideas, and wait for more information from the devs.

The combat system is still under development and there is very limited information on it so far. What we do know is that FPS style gameplay will not be possible because this game aims to make it possible for thousands of player's to participate in a single battle simultaneously. To make this possible, some kind of target locking mechanism is required to minimise the strain on the server. This goes for any kind of combat whether it is in storage, in the air on the ground, in vehicles or not.

Beyond that we can only give ideas, and wait for more information from the devs.

I still cross my fingers on a TERA lock-on system. Still a lock-on, but not on a focus mode all the time. You still have to maintain the lock to deal damage, not fire and forget.

Thanks. i asked because my EVE experience - battles between ships are ok, but I really hope that "personal" combat  will be not neglected. Even possibility to kill/injury another player with crafting tools will be something cool. Person vs. person combat cannot be state-of-art, but I like to see it at all ;)

I still cross my fingers on a TERA lock-on system. Still a lock-on, but not on a focus mode all the time. You still have to maintain the lock to deal damage, not fire and forget.

That's what I'm hoping for too. Or anything that has some kind of basic aiming requirement. I'm also hoping for some kind of friendly fire mechanism but that may be more difficult.

That's what I'm hoping for too. Or anything that has some kind of basic aiming requirement. I'm also hoping for some kind of friendly fire mechanism but that may be more difficult.

They could pull the Landmark aiming though, at least, the way IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN, instead of that clanky mechanics thing they added finally. It's still a lock on thing, but it creates the illusion of FPS combat. Plus it will compliment the skills treees in the game, perhaps making you take less to "lock-on" with certain advanced weaponry (sniper rifles).

I'm also hoping for some kind of friendly fire mechanism but that may be more difficult. 

Please, no :( There no better kill than friendly kill :ph34r:  Beside this, absence of friendly fire make combat more tactical - 'cause if your friends are immune to your damage, what stop you from nuke whole battlefield from orbit?

Of course some kind of friend-foe recognition can be use in automatic guarding system like turrets or barriers, but option to kill/injury anyone, regardless association, must stay!

what I'm hoping for is player collision and the use of riot shields... IN SPAAAACE. Make them force field shields. Would make players act as tanks for PvE as well in caves or alien ruins.

Please, no :( There no better kill than friendly kill :ph34r:  Beside this, absence of friendly fire make combat more tactical - 'cause if your friends are immune to your damage, what stop you from nuke whole battlefield from orbit?

Of course some kind of friend-foe recognition can be use in automatic guarding system like turrets or barriers, but option to kill/injury anyone, regardless association, must stay!

Well what I mean is accidental friendly fire.  There shouldn't be anything stopping you from locking your buddy and shooting him down.

Nothing's been said about area of effect weapons.  There was a thread about space-ground bombardment and NQ said that it would not be possible at first, maybe in the long term.  Found it: https://board.dualthegame.com/index.php?/topic/388-few-questions-on-ship-and-ground-mecheanics/?hl=bombard#entry1933

Because with twitchy combat it kinda promotes hordes running at retarded speeds to you're wall or Whatever,Were in slower combat you have a chance to kill a horde and can maybe create shield walls or other tactics 

Because with twitchy combat it kinda promotes hordes running at retarded speeds to you're wall or Whatever,Were in slower combat you have a chance to kill a horde and can maybe create shield walls or other tactics 

A riot shield tactical squad would be amazing. 

I just dont see this with twitch shooter movement and combat,This would make the planet feel smaller and battle depend on hordes instead of tactics

I meant it in a close quarters firefight in urban areas.