How would you like to handle Currency and Banking.

This topic took me a long time to think about and word properly since it is an in-depth aspect of the game. But after many rewrites on my side i simply give up on making a coherent proposal on this subject.

To simply put it, I am interested in what Form in-game currency will be made into.

In many MMORPG styled games, currency can take several different types of forms but two in particular are the main ones. These two are like the opposite ends of a short stick. 

Non-Physical currency & Physical currency

For those who don't really know here's a quick explanation on the two goes like this.

Non-physical currency is simply a thing that isn't an object but really just a number on the player depicting how much he/she has. The entirety of ones wealth usually always stays on the person on all times with no restrictions on its weight or differential value. One good example of this kind of currency form is in the GTA series.

Now unlike non-physical currency, Physical Currency is considered to be like an object similar to that of any kind of inventory item. It has weight (as in it takes up space) and usually has heavy implications on having Personal security such as banks to keep ones wealth safe. There is also Different values on the currency ($1/5$/10$.etc) One good example of this Form of currency is from Real life.

Both options have their advantages and disadvantages with it being either being simple and user friendly or on the other hand, realistic and open to many possibilities.

on a side note keep in mind that in-game "online" transactions will still be a thing with both options (hopefully) and that a compromise of taking aspects from both sides is an option. 

so at the end i would like to ask you guys how would you want the form of currency to take?

Also there are a few other things i would like to ask you guys regarding in-game economics in a MMO such as DU

(since its quite different from your regular MMO)

> If everyone starts of with a fixed starting amount of credits how would one come to make more money? (thus increasing inflation)

> How would Inflation be handled or reduced in a game such as DU?

> If player made banks appear that serve the open public what Measures can the bankers make for others to trust them and vice versa.

I apologize for this long post guys but i just have far to many question for this kind of topic for me to just ignore for to long. Again, sorry :I

oh and if this particular topic was posted and explained somewhere before could someone link me to it. thanks

Get Neopolitan's idea of midgets in the game and I'm tots down for a banker stereotype and meme. Make it act as if you you buy a safe at a bank or renting for a predetermined amount of money-per-week for a certain time, making a case of "sales" happening for a banker who wants to fill his stock up fast. For the duration, while prohibiting the owner of the safe from opening it, you'll pay that amount every week from the pool of cash you've stored in the safe. It's a rough idea, but you get the jist. It's prtty much acting like a hotel would, but for your money instead.

This topic took me a long time to think about and word properly since it is an in-depth aspect of the game. But after many rewrites on my side i simply give up on making a coherent proposal on this subject.

To simply put it, I am interested in what Form in-game currency will be made into.

In many MMORPG styled games, currency can take several different types of forms but two in particular are the main ones. These two are like the opposite ends of a short stick. 

Non-Physical currency & Physical currency

For those who don't really know here's a quick explanation on the two goes like this.

Non-physical currency is simply a thing that isn't an object but really just a number on the player depicting how much he/she has. The entirety of ones wealth usually always stays on the person on all times with no restrictions on its weight or differential value. One good example of this kind of currency form is in the GTA series.

Now unlike non-physical currency, Physical Currency is considered to be like an object similar to that of any kind of inventory item. It has weight (as in it takes up space) and usually has heavy implications on having Personal security such as banks to keep ones wealth safe. There is also Different values on the currency ($1/5$/10$.etc) One good example of this Form of currency is from Real life.

Both options have their advantages and disadvantages with it being either being simple and user friendly or on the other hand, realistic and open to many possibilities.

on a side note keep in mind that in-game "online" transactions will still be a thing with both options (hopefully) and that a compromise of taking aspects from both sides is an option. 

so at the end i would like to ask you guys how would you want the form of currency to take?

Also there are a few other things i would like to ask you guys regarding in-game economics in a MMO such as DU

(since its quite different from your regular MMO)

> If everyone starts of with a fixed starting amount of credits how would one come to make more money? (thus increasing inflation)

> How would Inflation be handled or reduced in a game such as DU?

> If player made banks appear that serve the open public what Measures can the bankers make for others to trust them and vice versa.

I apologize for this long post guys but i just have far to many question for this kind of topic for me to just ignore for to long. Again, sorry :I

oh and if this particular topic was posted and explained somewhere before could someone link me to it. thanks

If we're talking about "emergent gameplay" then players should choose their own currency ingame. 

Plus, I can see trading between players happening in goods, with money perhaps being crafted by a faction for tradng with them, by selling your goods to them for the amount of cash they deem your goods are worth. It's emergent gameplay at its finest.

I believe the devs mentioned having markets and cities populated with NPCs alongside players (It'd be difficult for some to be prosperous without 'em, methinks) and the NPC's would come with money. You sell things to them, you get their money. 

I believe the devs mentioned having markets and cities populated with NPCs alongside players (It'd be difficult for some to be prosperous without 'em, methinks) and the NPC's would come with money. You sell things to them, you get their money. 

The economy is made by the players, they said from what i remember that there'll be some NPCs in the Arkship, to set the basics, not in player made cities. 

My first post on the forums was a rather lengthy discussion about using a contracting system for handling ingame currency (both the kind issued by NQ as the "global currency", and for currency created and issued by players themselves):

https://board.dualthegame.com/index.php?/topic/603-cryptographically-secure-market-features-using-open-transactions/

It requires an understanding of Ricardian Contracting, which isn't that hard to grasp on the surface, but getting into the features that Ricardian Contracting provides goes beyond the scope of this thread:

http://webfunds.org/guide/ricardian.html

Taken from Quora:

What is a Ricardian Contract?

A Ricardian Contract is used to issue digital currency, or value.  The contract states the terms under which the value is redeemable, as well as the public key of the issue and the signature of the Issuer.  In order to trade accounts denominated in a particular contract, the User must install the contract in his client.  The account numbers are denominated in the hash of the contract, which means that the contract cannot be changed once issued.  This protects the Users from the Issuer changing the contract after the fact.

My first post on the forums was a rather lengthy discussion about using a contracting system for handling ingame currency (both the kind issued by NQ as the "global currency", and for currency created and issued by players themselves):

https://board.dualthegame.com/index.php?/topic/603-cryptographically-secure-market-features-using-open-transactions/

It requires an understanding of Ricardian Contracting, which isn't that hard to grasp on the surface, but getting into the features that Ricardian Contracting provides goes beyond the scope of this thread:

Taken from Quora:

A Ricardian Contract is used to issue digital currency, or value.  The contract states the terms under which the value is redeemable, as well as the public key of the issue and the signature of the Issuer.  In order to trade accounts denominated in a particular contract, the User must install the contract in his client.  The account numbers are denominated in the hash of the contract, which means that the contract cannot be changed once issued.  This protects the Users from the Issuer changing the contract after the fact.

So, pretty much, a faction has its own currency. Let's say I create the Lollipop Confedarate and I make my currency be the Lollipop Dollar. Then I set prices for your goods and thhrough much war and many conquests, I set up a larger empire with a larger market for players to trade, making my currency have value for other players. It's all emergent. That is, if the Devs allow us to make our own currency, with possibly a tab tracking the amount of said currency in circulation, along with other currencies, so we could keep track of inflation as well. I mean, it's another thing to say 100 USD and another to say 100 Canadian Dollar.

Taken from Quora:

There's no need for that. People will just take a single item/resource, and that will be their currency. Since is a resource that can be used in crafting or building, that would still have a value by itself. As you can see in various games, like Path Of Exile for example, that works. 

Let's just say we will have 1 resource in the game, that is not so easy to find, and you can find it in little quantities.

That resource has an important use in the game, like for crafting core units, the first element placed to craft a ship. This way it will never lose it's value.

Now suppose you can take an ingot of that material, and with a crafting recipe, you can divide that ingot in 100 pieces. You'd be able to revert that, crafting back your ingot. So those small pieces will have a value = 1/100 ingot each.

That material would be always precious, since ships will always be an important part of the game. The small pieces are useful to trade stuff that are worth less than a single ingot. That material would take space in your inventory, so you'd need to store it. When you want to buy something extremely expensive, you'd connect a container with a pipe to transfer the material (so the market unit would have the appropriate port), because player inventory size wouldnt be enough to carry all the payment in one single run. The gameplay of the game would be so much more interesting with this kind of system (security transport systems for banks, markets would need a proper conveyor system to manage the huge amount of cash that a single market unit wouldn't be able to store, ....)

So, pretty much, a faction has its own currency. Let's say I create the Lollipop Confedarate and I make my currency be the Lollipop Dollar. Then I set prices for your goods and thhrough much war and many conquests, I set up a larger empire with a larger market for players to trade, making my currency have value for other players. It's all emergent. That is, if the Devs allow us to make our own currency, with possibly a tab tracking the amount of said currency in circulation, along with other currencies, so we could keep track of inflation as well. I mean, it's another thing to say 100 USD and another to say 100 Canadian Dollar.

I made a suggestion like this way back.  It's on the first page of the market economy devblog thread https://board.dualthegame.com/index.php?/topic/21-devblog-from-barter-to-market-economy/?hl=economy

Got this response:

Currently, there is no plan to enable players to create their own currency, for several reasons:

- Risk of imbalance: If there is something that needs to be stable for a sandbox game, this is the in-game economy. 

- Development priority: Many features are quite long to develop (even the basic ones). And as this type of game mechanics implies a complex game design behind it in order to work well, it would cost a lot of development time. And for now, it's far from being in priorities

- Fun to play: We are not entirely convinced that enabling players to create their own money would be fun on the long run, nor really very easy to understand and master for most of the players (look how the economy in real life is complexified just by that). While we don't want to go "mainstream" in the game design of Dual Universe, we don't want either to go for a game that will only appeal to a very small population of players. We also need numbers to create a MMORPG full of player-driven stories!  ;)

I made a suggestion like this way back.  It's on the first page of the market economy devblog thread https://board.dualthegame.com/index.php?/topic/21-devblog-from-barter-to-market-economy/?hl=economy

Got this response:

This would be sad :/ Having different factions having different currencies opens the possibility of economic warfare. (Like the real-world wars are won nowadays.) You can bunkrupt a powerful nation if you keep syphon their money and force them to print more of it to make up for inflation.

As for the OTA (where everyone who wants to sell and trade their stuff should join  ;))we will most likely use a not to cheap consumable with a very high trading volume as currency. If there is none of such consumables (I'd think its something like energy cells or something alike) we will take the ressource with the highest trading volume as currency. The value will most likely be a function of rarity and times needed to gather/craft to get a rough estimation of the initial prices.

The final prices will be settled completely by the economy itself (i do hope we get at least a small polygol for most items running).

As for the OTA (where everyone who wants to sell and trade their stuff should join  ;))we will most likely use a not to cheap consumable with a very high trading volume as currency. If there is none of such consumables (I'd think its something like energy cells or something alike) we will take the ressource with the highest trading volume as currency. The value will most likely be a function of rarity and times needed to gather/craft to get a rough estimation of the initial prices.

The final prices will be settled completely by the economy itself (i do hope we get at least a small polygol for most items running).

You would need an actual accountant to keep track of your exchange ratios though for bartering :P

You would need an actual accountant to keep track of your exchange ratios though for bartering :P

i hope we will be able to create our own chatbots, if they can eb linked with external databases, then thats enough =)

I don't understand the need for currency and banking. Why would anyone trade one item for another when all they have to do is take what they want?

Because some of us are not into yarrrrgueing to get what we want :P

I don't understand the need for currency and banking. Why would anyone trade one item for another when all they have to do is take what they want?

Ha. I don't think we can steal designs/blueprints or LUA code. Probably not stuff in inventory.

Constructs, we can probably abscond with those. Yeah.   :ph34r: