Redeemable Forum Reward System Similar to Reddit Gold

yamamushi

I really doubt we'll see anything like this, and if we do it certainly won't happen anytime soon...

However, I'd like to see a forum reward system like Reddit Gold.

Effectively, for something like 1 to 5 dollars you could purchase a reward (like a gold star or a trophy icon or something) that you could gift to posts, similar to how we have the "like post" option right now, except just a bit flashier. 

In return for getting enough of these rewards given to you by various people on the forums for your contributions, if you collected enough of them (that would depend on how much they cost) you could redeem them for game time.

Ie, if a "star" (just throwing a name out there) was a dollar, you could redeem 15 or 20 of them for 1 month of game time. It wouldn't be as cost effective as just buying a subscription out right, but it would let people who want to support the game financially encourage good communications here on the forums at the same time. 

No, reddit does this to increase their amount of posts due to players trying to "earn" those trophies, which isn't exactly the goal for the DU forum.

I'd rather not want a system that induces spam.

How would it induce spam? It's no different than the like button that is already here except for it allows for us to give NQ money. It's not like there is going to be an increase in people spending money just because there's an increase in low quality posts. If anything it will bring more people into the forum, and I'm not sure why that automatically means "more spam".

Reddit doesn't do this to increase posts, Reddit does this to raise money and in return they give people who buy gold access to features that non-subscribers don't get. It doesn't sound like you use Reddit very often.

Ie, if a "star" (just throwing a name out there) was a dollar, you could redeem 15 or 20 of them for 1 month of game time. It wouldn't be as cost effective as just buying a subscription out right, but it would let people who want to support the game financially encourage good communications here on the forums at the same time. 

Let's keep the forum money free. Last thing I need is visiting a forum, trying to read reviews/how-tos, just so see a bunch of "package opening" crap because everyone is trying to get everyone to "sub" their channel so they can gain financially. 

Let the reviews/input/ideas stay that way, it is posted because the players have a real interest in making the game better, and not tied to some financial gains.

Let's keep the forum money free. Last thing I need is visiting a forum, trying to read reviews/how-tos, just so see a bunch of "package opening" crap because everyone is trying to get everyone to "sub" their channel so they can gain financially. 

Let the reviews/input/ideas stay that way, it is posted because the players have a real interest in making the game better, and not tied to some financial gains.

That's not how Reddit gold works either, nothing I suggested has anything to do with that. You just put in your own description ignoring everything I suggested, that's a strawman argument. 

I never suggested "package opening" or anything like that. 

What I suggested was a way to reward people for their contributions to the forum in a more meaningful way than "liking" a post. 

Nobody is going to be rewarded if nobody puts in the money in the first place to buy those rewards. Clearly most people aren't going to be spending money to reward people for making good suggestions or good contributions to the forum. 

It's the same concept as if I just gave someone a gift subscription to the game because I liked their post. I could even setup a "ChangeTip" type system that rewards people with Bitcoin if I chose to send it to them for a good post. It already exists on Github, Reddit, Facebook, Twitter, etc. 

https://www.changetip.com/

That's not how Reddit gold works either, nothing I suggested has anything to do with that. You just put in your own description ignoring everything I suggested, that's a strawman argument. 

I never suggested "package opening" or anything like that. 

What I suggested was a way to reward people for their contributions to the forum in a more meaningful way than "liking" a post. 

Nobody is going to be rewarded if nobody puts in the money in the first place to buy those rewards. Clearly most people aren't going to be spending money to reward people for making good suggestions or good contributions to the forum. 

It's the same concept as if I just gave someone a gift subscription to the game because I liked their post. I could even setup a "ChangeTip" type system that rewards people with Bitcoin if I chose to send it to them for a good post. It already exists on Github, Reddit, Facebook, Twitter, etc. 

You see it as a strawman arguement because you are only seeing from your PoV since you think it is a good idea and I see it from my PoV.

If you like a person's post and thinks he should be rewarded financially, send him an forum email and PayPal him. Let's NOT make the forum a source of revenue for players, like what YouTube/Stream sites has become.

I don't really get the naysaying here.  You have to pay to give out the stars so you're only going to give them to quality posts.  Spam posts are not likely to get you any gold.  I imagine good gameplay guides and suggestions are most likely to get gold.

You see it as a strawman arguement because you are only seeing from your PoV since you think it is a good idea and I see it from my PoV.

If you like a person's post and thinks he should be rewarded financially, send him an forum email and PayPal him. Let's NOT make the forum a source of revenue for players, like what YouTube/Stream sites has become.

Game time is hardly revenue.  That's like saying making in-game credits in order to purchase a PLEX is generating revenue.

How would it induce spam? It's no different than the like button that is already here except for it allows for us to give NQ money. It's not like there is going to be an increase in people spending money just because there's an increase in low quality posts. If anything it will bring more people into the forum, and I'm not sure why that automatically means "more spam".

its pretty simple, there will be people who buy stars to give them to others and people who do everything to get those stars, especially if they are linked to something like playtime. The people spending money on those stars aren't the problem, thats fine. The problem are those people who would do a lot to get these stars, for example creating a lot of polarizing posts, attacks on more or less disliked members of a community etc.

It doesnt need to work always, for something like that its ok if 1 out of 50 posts gives a star, as long as you post enough. Thats why it would induce spam.

The ideal that only high quality posts get stars won't happen because people are emotional creatures and if someone starts an emotional or polarizing topic then there are bound to be some who give out stars for that.

It is exactly a strawman argument because you are trying to inject an analogy that has nothing to do with the topic at hand. 

It's not a source of revenue in any way, because like Klatu said, that's like saying earning PLEX is a source of revenue for people playing Eve Online. It's not like you can spend it outside of the game. 

The only people that could profit monetarily through such a system would be NovaQuark. 

Did you even bother reading the first post in the thread?

It's not a source of revenue in any way, because like Klatu said, that's like saying earning PLEX is a source of revenue for people playing Eve Online. It's not like you can spend it outside of the game. 

Yes, I did read the OP, and as I have already said, I dis-approve the suggestion, but my word doesn't mean anything, it is just to bring out another PoV different then yours.

If you do not believe it is a source of revenue just because it is an in-game money/time, then why do all these RMT exist in MMOs?

We disagree because we have different PoV on the same subject matter, it is as simple as that.

Another psot AttacKat is trolling. Clearly argueing against anything and agreeing only with people who disagree with the post, whatever that post is.

Please learn the difference between trolling vs exchanging differences in PoV.