Body implants/augments

gabrielen

So i was thinking, in many science fiction books/games/films there are always many bio-technological implants or gadgets that after one injection or augmentation are then permanent part of your body, like Infra-red camera directly to your eye so then you can see in darkness or muscle strengthening to make you jump higher etc. I thought it would be great to have at least some possibilities to do things like that in DU  :D

It's not impossible since the nanoformer is a cybernetic attachment to your arm. But even then the implants your talking about would probably not be available until much later in progression if at all, given that most of the bonuses could probably be gained though a sufficiently advanced body suit plus helm. I am not sure why you would need implants that would do the same thing especially in what I imagine DU will be.

Further down the development road, I could see at least cosmetic changes that could be done to one's character. It wouldn't be too difficult to skin a bionic arm onto someone, if they wanted it.

The skills AMA answer actually says that a brain implant is how you gradually learn skills over time,but that doesn't have any actual implications for game play because everyone has the same one. 

The only way I can see this being implemented, is through the skill tree and like Woodsman said, maybe there would be a character cosmetic change once you reach a certain skill level. One branch of the tree could be "biotech", which gives you enhanced vision types, running speed, or and other PvE enhancements.

Further down the development road, I could see at least cosmetic changes that could be done to one's character. It wouldn't be too difficult to skin a bionic arm onto someone, if they wanted it.

WINTER SOLDIER CONFIRMED

The skills AMA answer actually says that a brain implant is how you gradually learn skills over time,but that doesn't have any actual implications for game play because everyone has the same one. 

The only way I can see this being implemented, is through the skill tree and like Woodsman said, maybe there would be a character cosmetic change once you reach a certain skill level. One branch of the tree could be "biotech", which gives you enhanced vision types, running speed, or and other PvE enhancements.

actually is not what i meant here  :D i was more up for nanotechnology implants connected to your nano-neurotic system inside your body or something like that  :), actually nanoformer probably is connected to something like that so it can transfer data from and into your brain without any "cables"  ^_^

It's not impossible since the nanoformer is a cybernetic attachment to your arm. But even then the implants your talking about would probably not be available until much later in progression if at all, given that most of the bonuses could probably be gained though a sufficiently advanced body suit plus helm. I am not sure why you would need implants that would do the same thing especially in what I imagine DU will be.

you know when you die you drop that helmet etc. but when its an integral part of your body (like nanoformer or maybe chip in your brain) you can't loose it after death, and yes it won't be avaliable in the "stoneage" but maybe some time after creation of wirst star gates  ^_^

• 6 months later...

I'd be up for having nanotechnology and genetic engineering combined to create things like weaponized appendages or a self healing body or a computer/router in your body or night-vision eyes. This would be aside from cosmetic alterations.

I'd be up for having nanotechnology and genetic engineering combined to create things like weaponized appendages or a self healing body or a computer/router in your body or night-vision eyes. This would be aside from cosmetic alterations.

The Discussion has taken place in the past.

My opinion is, that later on, the Devs could implement a cyborgification method, that a player can turn their body into full on cyborg through expensive procedures that put a toon off comission for a week (because surgery, that skeleton won't change in a go).

But, the caveat, is that the cybernetics exhaust you faster - they run on power after all, but they provide bonuses on attirubtes - thus higher skill training, and hopefully, attributes provide other stats, i.e. Perception making you better at locking speeds, while Strength makes you able to move faster in heavier armors, so a balance can be kept.

Oh, and if you die you lose the limbs, like any other item, so, here you go. Cyborgs may not be obvious to people, but those who know, will just go after you like you're a loot pinyata. And since no Jump Clones like in EVE, putting them on would be like an investment only reserved for people who REALLY want to be competitive and / or are funded with these cybernetics because they are kill-machines or w/e.

Genetics is a... eh, can of worms best left sealed. Even EVE refrained from it,, and we all know EVE is all about cyberpunk on its science.

Oh, and if you die you lose the limbs, like any other item, so, here you go. Cyborgs may not be obvious to people, but those who know, will just go after you like you're a loot pinyata. And since no Jump Clones like in EVE, putting them on would be like an investment only reserved for people who REALLY want to be competitive and / or are funded with these cybernetics because they are kill-machines or w/e.

I thought that respawning was using the many worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics to swap your consciousness with another close version of you from another timeline in a different location, hence only a few items are lost, not all of them. And also, the longer you do not 'save' at a respawn beacon, the more items you lose.

TL;DR I though respawning meant losing some items, not all.

I thought that respawning was using the many worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics to swap your consciousness with another close version of you from another timeline in a different location, hence only a few items are lost, not all of them. And also, the longer you do not 'save' at a respawn beacon, the more items you lose.

TL;DR I though respawning meant losing some items, not all.

Yeah, but the machine only teleports back your body as it was at the moment the Arkship took a snapshot of it, thus seeking IT out of the multiverse to bring out of the RNs.

In one world, you were having cybernetics, but since the arkship doesn't recognise them as part of the snapshot, it finds your body from another world as it would be without cybernetics.

It means you lose all items. Some are destroyed, others jsut drop. It's what drives EVE's economy hard. People being taken out, thus needing resupply of armamanets and ammunition and of course, if you are KILLED in a pod, you need to add implants to it on the clone yo lost.

Now, DU has no clones, but its logic is much the same. Your body, in this dimension, is dead. But the new "you" is taken from a multiverse hthat you ALMOST died and were pulled out.

And well, because nothing is meant to be permanent in games like DU. Cybernetics give a boost and they can be lost, they are esentially, nothing different than glyphs from WoW or Tatoos from any Korean MMO, the only differnece being they can be lost on death.

As you see, there's a reason dirt-cheap ships are being sold en masse in EVE. Because people fly in them all the time. Same thing wil lhappen in DU most likely, with people skirmishing in light armors with weaker guns, so they don't have to waste all their money if they were to be led into a ambush.

Yeah, but the machine only teleports back your body as it was at the moment the Arkship took a snapshot of it, thus seeking IT out of the multiverse to bring out of the RNs.

"the longer you do not 'save' at a respawn beacon, the more items you lose"

The arkship could take a snapshot of you every time you activate/bookmark a respawn node

I could see this getting abused if it was real life (stealing from other timelines via quantum mechanics).

"the longer you do not 'save' at a respawn beacon, the more items you lose"

The arkship could take a snapshot of you every time you activate/bookmark a respawn node

I could see this getting abused if it was real life (stealing from other timelines via quantum mechanics).

Still though, it's the only intermediate form of "softcore" gameplay. You lose all your gears, some are destroyed and some are loot, but you don't lossoe your toon or skill training, so, there's that. And implants are part of your gear really. IF they were not, the market would be stale on them.

Still though, it's the only intermediate form of "softcore" gameplay. You lose all your gears, some are destroyed and some are loot, but you don't lossoe your toon or skill training, so, there's that. And implants are part of your gear really. IF they were not, the market would be stale on them.

Well, instead of being able to install them at will, you would need a surgeon to install them (skill training time!). When you die, it could damage or disable the cyberware's buffs so you would need to go back to a surgeon to get it fixed (even MORE trauma style mechanics). The process would require less materials than getting a new one, whilst simultaneously increasing the cost of augments due to less mass-production. Maybe the surgeon needs the blueprints for the augment in order to install or repair them.

Well, instead of being able to install them at will, you would need a surgeon to install them (skill training time!). When you die, it could damage or disable the cyberware's buffs so you would need to go back to a surgeon to get it fixed (even MORE trauma style mechanics). The process would require less materials than getting a new one, whilst simultaneously increasing the cost of augments due to less mass-production. Maybe the surgeon needs the blueprints for the augment in order to install or repair them.

In EVE, there are two types of cybernetics, one is an accelerator that has an expiration time and an activation time and an implant.  Implants are lost on death, while acceleratiors just go bad if left not consumed. So yeah, some, minor implants could be worked in the sense of "software needs to be reinstalled". But cybernetics are a thing that just needs to be a reward for not dying all the time and a way for people in really expensive armors to make a difference on ground combat, if NQ follows the EVE "ship role == class role" model, but in DU being "armor role == class role" type of equipments. If that's so, then yes, some people in some really really expensive monsers of armor will just have cybernetics to get every last bonus out of the armor, at the expense of being a primary target - which is why they need those implants and cybernetics to begin with.