Body implants/augments

gabrielen

So i was thinking, in many science fiction books/games/films there are always many bio-technological implants or gadgets that after one injection or augmentation are then permanent part of your body, like Infra-red camera directly to your eye so then you can see in darkness or muscle strengthening to make you jump higher etc. I thought it would be great to have at least some possibilities to do things like that in DU  :D

So i was thinking, in many science fiction books/games/films there are always many bio-technological implants or gadgets that after one injection or augmentation are then permanent part of your body, like Infra-red camera directly to your eye so then you can see in darkness or muscle strengthening to make you jump higher etc. I thought it would be great to have at least some possibilities to do things like that in DU  :D

Good sir, having enhanced muscles and having skeletal integrity is an entire different thing. You see, you can't make your muscles exceed a threshold of strength per muscle strand, due to your bones not being able to support the forces being applied. There's a reason Wolverine has super-strength while not being super-strong by mutations. It's the skeleton made of comicbookium. So, the way to super-strength, would be through skeletal augmentantion. If they add it in the game, they should make it so the player loses something for them and the cybernetics act as loot on the player's death, so there's a price on becoming a cyborg and not end up after a year of the game being with cyborg pirates in space. A concept similar to the Jedi concept of Star Wars Galaxies before NGE. You became a Jedi, but you needed to lay low with the lightsaber, cause people would wreck you if they found out you had one.

I think it would be cool but probably two lines so one would be cybernetic augmentation and one would be bio augmentation. so you could get your eye replaced with a camera to see in the dark. or you could get geneticly engineered eyes to see in the dark. each would provide something a little different so something like the eyes could of course give night vision but it could use power for the cybernetic ones and the bio ones could make you unstable or paralize you for small amounts of time

Good sir, having enhanced muscles and having skeletal integrity is an entire different thing. You see, you can't make your muscles exceed a threshold of strength per muscle strand, due to your bones not being able to support the forces being applied. There's a reason Wolverine has super-strength while not being super-strong by mutations. It's the skeleton made of comicbookium. So, the way to super-strength, would be through skeletal augmentantion. If they add it in the game, they should make it so the player loses something for them and the cybernetics act as loot on the player's death, so there's a price on becoming a cyborg and not end up after a year of the game being with cyborg pirates in space. A concept similar to the Jedi concept of Star Wars Galaxies before NGE. You became a Jedi, but you needed to lay low with the lightsaber, cause people would wreck you if they found out you had one.

yeah but i was thinking about like nanobots for example that make your muscles lighter and at the same time more efficient - same with bones  B)

I think it would be cool but probably two lines so one would be cybernetic augmentation and one would be bio augmentation. so you could get your eye replaced with a camera to see in the dark. or you could get geneticly engineered eyes to see in the dark. each would provide something a little different so something like the eyes could of course give night vision but it could use power for the cybernetic ones and the bio ones could make you unstable or paralize you for small amounts of time

I was more up for something like nanocameras transfering noctovision to your in-body nano-neurotic system connected to your brain or something like that (just like in "The Void" or "Głębia" (don't know if the last one is translated to english ;):D

yeah but i was thinking about like nanobots for example that make your muscles lighter and at the same time more efficient - same with bones  B)

I played Metal Gear Solid 4. The La Li Lu Le Lo will never make me put nanomachines in my body.

I played Metal Gear Solid 4. The La Li Lu Le Lo will never make me put nanomachines in my body.

But if they were directly controlled by your brain? just like cells in your body? :D

But if they were directly controlled by your brain? just like cells in your body? :D

I don't know what kind of New Age voodoo magic you believe in, but if you could control your cells you would be immune to ageing or tumors good sir.

I don't know what kind of New Age voodoo magic you believe in, but if you could control your cells you would be immune to ageing or tumors good sir.

I mean brain controls all parts of our life, from hormons to breathing, imagine having like an interface but in your brain, imagination that lets you connect with your implants or just like chip in brain with ARK Ship ;D

I mean brain controls all parts of our life, from hormons to breathing, imagine having like an interface but in your brain, imagination that lets you connect with your implants or just like chip in brain with ARK Ship ;D

I see, so you mean meditative interaction. Then yes, that would be quite nice, but I do expect those implants to come at a cost, or higher survival needs equating to higher stamina drains for the implants to work. And the implants are lootable when a space-racist kills you for being a cyborg :P

I'm in agreement with Captain, if you are able to get permanent body/neural enhancements, there definitely needs to be downsides to using them, balance and all that. Course, if you can enhance certain characteristics then you can more aptly customize your character and experience a much more highly tailored gaming experience, so I'm all for it.  ^_^

I want Groot branch like extending fingers, Cyclops death beam sight, Mystic figure taking skin and Pattinson environment resistant hairs!

Them Pattinson hair though should come with the shovelface as a counter-balance.

Dual Universe is primarily horizontal progression, so implants wouldn't be providing astronomical increases in power.

I would expect there to be a limit on how many implants the human body could hold and, that limit is reached, we would have to swap in new implants.

Dual Universe is primarily horizontal progression, so implants wouldn't be providing astronomical increases in power.

I would expect there to be a limit on how many implants the human body could hold and, that limit is reached, we would have to swap in new implants.

If fact, there is a certain limit good sir, due to many many reasons, one of which being not enough skin for the body to breathe. But, the way people expect a bionic limb or a cybernetic eye to work is "giving you the looks" or "giving you a slight bonus". For example, enhanced muscle mass to give you a slightly bigger inventory, or a bionic eye that makes you lock-on faster in EVA/Ground combat.

I mean, nobody wants to be Captain 'Murrica, but everyone wants to be the Winter Soldier (err, minus the Hydra agent part).

If fact, there is a certain limit good sir, due to many many reasons, one of which being not enough skin for the body to breathe. But, the way people expect a bionic limb or a cybernetic eye to work is "giving you the looks" or "giving you a slight bonus". For example, enhanced muscle mass to give you a slightly bigger inventory, or a bionic eye that makes you lock-on faster in EVA/Ground combat.

I mean, nobody wants to be Captain 'Murrica, but everyone wants to be the Winter Soldier (err, minus the Hydra agent part).

I think it should be make like each nano augmentation should give you a bonus to something like stamina or less hunger going down or something, but the more you have the next one would give less and less and get more and more expensive - so at some point you wouldn't be wealthy enought to buy next one of the same type - also it wouldn't give you much ;)

I think it should be make like each nano augmentation should give you a bonus to something like stamina or less hunger going down or something, but the more you have the next one would give less and less and get more and more expensive - so at some point you wouldn't be wealthy enought to buy next one of the same type - also it wouldn't give you much ;)

Indeed fine sir, as cybernetics are machinery, cyber organtic machinery, there should be a change in power consumption. Power, as they say, comes at a cost. While the idea of "less hunger" is not applied like thus, a certain balanced is preserved. And yes, if a person goes full cyborg they should have to use like... power cells for ships to keep going, although such a thing would be really expensive and would make said individual a target for griefing. But the wealthy overlords of a faction would have to be impervious to assasins, won't they? ;)