Planet Size?

plumata

Hello all,

I've just done some rough and ready math based on the trailer and it seems that the planet shown is approximately 100,000 voxels in diameter or maybe a bit larger. The base voxel size seems to also be less than 1 meter(Perhaps 1/3) leading me to believe that the planets are quite small, possibly 40 km in diameter. No doubt my measurements are in error but the planet and moon still visually seem far too small.

Is there any further information out there on this topic? All my searches have come up empty. Hopefully these are just placeholder assets and the final planets and moons will be much larger.

Example planet (30km radius): https://board.dualthegame.com/index.php?/topic/296-devblog-territory-control/

Voxel and planet size: https://board.dualthegame.com/index.php?/topic/14-voxel-tools-pre-alpha-game-design/

Hi Kiklix!

You're totally right. The smaller the voxels are, the more performance issues you have.

We had to make some tough choices, and we think we have come to a good compromise:

- Voxels on any planet will have a size around 100 centimeters.

- Constructs made by players will be composed with 25 centimeters Voxels permitting better precision.

Granted, this is still bigger than Landmark, but in exchange you have mobile constructs ;)

And for the planets, well, you will have some up to 100 km radius (which means a bit more than 125 000 km2 !)

So it seems the largest planets will be made up of around 4E15 voxels, each of which can be split into 64 pieces for building purposes. That is a lot! NQ have said that there will be a limit to how deep you can go in a planet though, so many will be inaccessible. Even so, the top, surface layer alone will have around 1E11 voxels on the largest planets. That is still a crazy number.

Feel free to check my numbers and tell me I'm wrong...

Thanks for the information, I guess my measurements were a bit on the large side but it's good to hear that there will be bigger planets. Hopefully 100km diameter will be enough to look relatively natural.

Thanks for the information, I guess my measurements were a bit on the large side but it's good to hear that there will be bigger planets. Hopefully 100km diameter will be enough to look relatively natural.

A realistic sized planet is bad in a mmorpg, where the social component is so important. 

A realistic sized planet is bad in a mmorpg, where the social component is so important.

30 Kilometer radius would be 1130000 Square Kilometers of surface.

15 Kilometer radius would be half that.

Great Britain is 209000 square kilometers. 

The planets need to be smaller imo.

Less we have patches of land occupied by sheep and angry Scotts. :P

Here is article about biggest maps in games - it give nice sense of scale. Biggest map mention in article has 40 000 km2 - 40 x smaller than one planet (!). Biger maps CAN be done of course, but where is point of that?

One word, a lot a wall-of-texts worth of answer. India.

If you expect 1,293,057,000 players, I am ok with that ;) But I doubt such numbers :D

The point is for players to not be packed like shrimps in a can. Even in games, people want their personal space. Possibly, having a territory claim being organised into streets for easier navigation. So yeah, I would suggest a 10 kilometer radius world. Enough to have two or three cites, and a countryside. I do say time and time again that most people will probably stay in a planet they call home and do their thing, either it be PvE, harvesting or statue-carving. Not all want to be Captain Kirk, but many want to be a mayor of a frontier town.