Anonymous - IRL

Anonymous

So. Here I am.

Basics: Australian. Life long gamer. Digital native and netizen.

Unlike a lot of you cool kids, I'm not a C# programmer, can't do 3D models, and I'm only slowly learning LUA (by which I mean it's on my to-do list).

And I've never played EVE, Star Citizen or any of other other titles that seem to give cred (does Stellaris, No Mans Sky or Rebel Galaxy count?). I did play SW:Galaxies back in the day tho.

So. What do I bring to this little party? (since intro threads seem to be as much about introductions as they are a sort of "recruit me" post or NQ resume - yeah - who knows - maybe it'll pique their interest.) Not a lot really in my mind - I'm just some guy - the stuff below should give an indication why I try not to mix social and professional life. (But hey - NQ, if you're reading - I'm happy to do both for the right peep ;) ).

Professional skills:

• Architecture, implementation etc of High Availability / High Performance online solutions
  • Big data | Linked Data | Open Data | Semantic Web
  • International Standards on data exchange, web standards, technical standards (ISO, W3C etc)
  • Information Architecture, Concept Modelling etc inc. knowledge management
  • IT Security, encryption, blockchain etc
  • Cloud, Distributed applications (blockchain, P2P or traditional federation)
  • Identity and Access | Privacy
  • Artificial Intelligence, Neural Networks, Deep Learning etc
  • World Design / Game Design
  • User experience / UI / machine to machine service design/ API design inc. patterns
  • Social media / online community engagement and management
  • Bunch of other things most people find really boring but are the foundation of stuff like MMO's (e.g. everything from time synchronization through to GIS systems)
  • Behavioral and organisation psychology | social engineering etc

Currently working in the Public Sector, sometimes an invited expert to various W3C/Internet/Government fora, presented to people like the OECD and various Central Banks/Statistical Organisations on developing for 0-scale architecture (cloud etc.), Programme committee member for International industry conferences, that sort of stuff.

Completely self taught , never been to University - I'm just a guy who's apparently OK at what I do.

Oh - and I've worked on a few "major" games over the years (in terms of size or brand) writing story lines / world backgrounds / inventing game mechanics etc or managing large communities inc. admin run game events and story arcs - never paid - I just love making and playing games, especially grand strategy, sandbox and RPG's.

CUBye!

@yamamushi No I hadn't! Thanks! Another resource for the collection. Are you involved?

FinTech isn't normally an interest area for me - I came to DAO etc from looking at public services which could be consensus based (Szabo's smart contracts, provenance chains, metadata registries etc) as well as looking at the Open Government Partnership effort and tracking the W3 efforts.

Was OT.org at the W3 Blockchain workshop at MIT in June?

Thanks, and no rush :)

(Meh - my stuff just made me feel better about watchin you cats in the builders corner going off with your ideas and plans ;) Anyone can have ideas and be a bit extroverted IMO - you guys in build land have real skills! But cheers - it pays the bills.)

@yamamushi No I hadn't! Thanks! Another resource for the collection. Are you involved?

FinTech isn't normally an interest area for me - I came to DAO etc from looking at public services which could be consensus based (Szabo's smart contracts, provenance chains, metadata registries etc) as well as looking at the Open Government Partnership effort and tracking the W3 efforts.

Was OT.org at the W3 Blockchain workshop at MIT in June?

I'm pretty sure if they were, it was probably Chris Odom there from Stash. 

I was involved heavily in Open Transactions for a few years, as well as Bitcoin (I started the Austin Bitcoin Meetup) but lately I have been avoiding anything major and finally just relaxing. 

I don't particularly have a big interest in FinTech either, I came into the picture looking to find a solution to censorship resistant markets. I spent several years working on various approaches, and playing around with p2p stuff. I wrote an app that can make BitMessage act like a decentralized fileserver, and it kind of turns it into TahoeFS, although I gave up on that project for a while because I couldn't figure out some issues. There is a lot of interesting potential out there, and doing that kind of research was really fun.

In OT, I was working with others on voting pools, or rather, ways to have bitcoin exchanges that couldn't steal your money, and wherein an exchange being shut down would not mean losing access to your money. That has been a long project though, and I'm not sure how far they are along with it. On paper the idea works, implementing it securely was a whole other issue, even for a company full of cryptographers. 

I'm pretty sure positive that OpenBazaar was influenced by Open Transactions, not only because they used the name "Bazaar" after it showed up in the OT desktop client "Moneychanger" under the markets tab, but also because they came into the OT IRC room asking for input way back before they launched. 

Anyways, welcome to the forums :-) Hit me up on Discord sometime