Inspecting Peoples' Inventory

Anaximander

Politics or military dictatorship aside, not many people will forgo their weaponry, probably hard-won, or crafted with much needed materials, and leave them aside to enter. Unless you've got some sort of weapon-detecting technology, it'll be difficult to enforce.

It's my belief in the darkness of space, and alien-strangeness of newly discovered planets, politics will come in the shape of guns, ships and defenses, and military dictatorships will be too busy warring for resources and fame and fortune to worry about enforcing security gates in case of gun-carrying rogues. 

That said, anything is possible at this point in time, it's all speculation  :D

I explained it on the original post :P Set up a checkpoint on the city entrance, having a force field covering the sky above and around. Then force people for an inventory inspection. No civil forfeiture bullshit here, you just go away and go store the gun on your spaceship and come back later, or go to one of the banks established outside the city to store your guns there in a terminal or something, then come back into the city later, after the inspection of course. It's so emergent gameplay, that I'm gonna explode if the Alpha is not out on schedule >:(

I explained it on the original post :P Set up a checkpoint on the city entrance, having a force field covering the sky above and around. Then force people for an inventory inspection. No civil forfeiture bullshit here, you just go away and go store the gun on your spaceship and come back later, or go to one of the banks established outside the city to store your guns there in a terminal or something, then come back into the city later, after the inspection of course. It's so emergent gameplay, that I'm gonna explode if the Alpha is not out on schedule > :(

It might be possible, I think it should be possible to have a secret compartment (earned or somehow crafted) in which to store a couple of things other people can't see. Though it would foil your sky force field. Other than that, I'm sure we'll be able to set our own terms on our bases and city locations to some degree, I just wonder how much control we will have over other people's civic behaviours. 

It might be possible, I think it should be possible to have a secret compartment (earned or somehow crafted) in which to store a couple of things other people can't see. Though it would foil your sky force field. Other than that, I'm sure we'll be able to set our own terms on our bases and city locations to some degree, I just wonder how much control we will have over other people's civic behaviours. 

Let's say the inventory is box-space, similar to Diablo series. Make the secret compartment take a small firearm, like a sidearm and an extra magazine, or... 4 grenades, or a hacking device. You get the idea :P Make the pouch possible, but not exploitable to the point it's game-breaking.

I can see Kiklix being my Q and me being M. Wait... not the lady M. Voldemort-with-nose M. We'll set secret shops for our agents where they can resupply on gear, perhaps, even smuggle weaponry into cities to start an insurgence when a war breaks out. 

Much cunning.

Many confusing.

Wow.

I think your still missing the fact that someone could join your city, gain crafting rights for their business and then just make everything they need for assassins etc in your city.  so inspecting my inventory is not going to help you.  I do have to say though, this has been a highly entertaining topic to be in, you crack me up man.

I think it's more likely that a freeport, hippy organisation would have a no guns policy.  "Come and party with us, leave your guns at the door!"

But then there's also digging your way in.  Maybe you can stop people flying in with anti-air guns, but can you guard every inch of the ground?

Maybe have a check-in office by the gate that issues tags to every visitor to say they went through the checkpoint and were searched.  It has a limited time, say 24 hours, so you have to go to a checkpoint and get it renewed.

Then put massive automated turrets all over the place that shoot anyone who doesn't have a valid tag.

I think your still missing the fact that someone could join your city, gain crafting rights for their business and then just make everything they need for assassins etc in your city.  so inspecting my inventory is not going to help you.  I do have to say though, this has been a highly entertaining topic to be in, you crack me up man.

And THAT good sir, is EMERGENT gameplay :D The guy who makes weapons for the assasins is an infiltrator (or a ruffian). After that, let the Internal Affairs take the lead, with sanctions being placed and secret agents investigating the issue. Intelligence and Counter-Intelligence. That is a gameplay to look forward to :D (And the secret compartments in clothing ofc). I have no issue with a guy managing to gain the enemy's trust and being in caputs with an assassins organisation, because THAT is fun gameplay and a drama source :D

Along this same topic, I'd like to be able to inspect ship cargo before allowing someone to dock in a station.

The same could be said for player inventories and allowing someone onboard a station....

I mean the last thing you want is for players to start shooting at each other onboard your space station.

@Shynras

It's war and conquest mate, not marriage proposal. You don't need to ask for permission, then use a magic ring to engage in war. Plus, asking for "special items, 1-2 hours a day, just fucks up people in the other side of the world and their timezones.

We have no informations yet, that's a viable option like yours. I said that because I think is similar to what the devs have in mind, not because I like it (and in this case i'm fine with it).

I just hope there'll be enough pvp, without the risk of losing everything overnight. I don't care about anything else

Along this same topic, I'd like to be able to inspect ship cargo before allowing someone to dock in a station.

The same could be said for player inventories and allowing someone onboard a station....

I mean the last thing you want is for players to start shooting at each other onboard your space station.

And we all know that when it comes to PvP guilds, E-Peen comes before reason. 

As an old saying goes : "Bar fights are fine to watch, unless you own the place." So yeah, bouncers, definititely check their inventories.

However it's implemented, there should be some way to conceal. And there should be some way to detect. And for both, neither should be a guarantee. ie, a high conceal skill player + high tech conceal equipment should not have a 100% chance to hide an item from another player with no skill and no equipment to detect, and vice versa. (not that these skills or technology will exist, or that this is the mechanic for searching inventories, this is just an example)

The chance could still be very high, perhaps 95% or 97.5% but not 100% in any case. But I would like to have the ability to sneak some item in past security. I think it's a valid strategy for playing.

However it's implemented, there should be some way to conceal. And there should be some way to detect. And for both, neither should be a guarantee. ie, a high conceal skill player + high tech conceal equipment should not have a 100% chance to hide an item from another player with no skill and no equipment to detect, and vice versa. (not that these skills or technology will exist, or that this is the mechanic for searching inventories, this is just an example)

The chance could still be very high, perhaps 95% or 97.5% but not 100% in any case. But I would like to have the ability to sneak some item in past security. I think it's a valid strategy for playing.

Please no RNG in this game. 

Please no RNG in this game. 

That's a valid opinion, but could you elaborate? Would you like to see some kind of conceal/detect mechanic at all? Or just not be a matter of chance?

In the other territory control unit topic, rights and abilities are discussed. One solution was that some actions are legal and others are not. So perhaps sneaking/concealing would work by bypassing a security checkpoint all together?

But I still would like to see somehow the ability to sneak something past someone who is looking. I suggested a very high chance as being a maximum so that there no guarantee that I could sneak past, but that on average, I usually could.

I think it's more likely that a freeport, hippy organisation would have a no guns policy. "Come and party with us, leave your guns at the door!"

But then there's also digging your way in. Maybe you can stop people flying in with anti-air guns, but can you guard every inch of the ground?

If i remember correctly if the territory is owned you set the flag for mining, so no flag no digging.

@Velenka

We discussed earlier on a Secret Compartment idea for concealing a small item. It can be a high end tech upgrade for certain clothes. So, if your guard at the door knows what clothes to look for, can simply turn down certain sketch individuals. I mean , if you dress like the edgiest mfer that came out to cosplay the Matrix series, yeah, you look sketchy bruh. 

Generally in favor for this if this is tied to some other factor, for example you can only do it if someone steps into a special scanner for this purpose, it's on your faction turf (pat down) or if it's possible anywhere but with some obvious reasonable time (like a meter) that shows you the inventory if it's succesful. Aka if the subject does not move for like a dozen or two dozen seconds.

Or if someone is unconscious, if that will be a thing.

Generally in favor for this if this is tied to some other factor, for example you can only do it if someone steps into a special scanner for this purpose, it's on your faction turf (pat down) or if it's possible anywhere but with some obvious reasonable time (like a meter) that shows you the inventory if it's succesful. Aka if the subject does not move for like a dozen or two dozen seconds.

Or if someone is unconscious, if that will be a thing.

I was thinking of the trade interface mate. Like :

I type /trade on you.

You accept to trade.

You can see into my inventory and I can see into yurs.

But YOU, have a special pouch on your outfit, which acts as a compartment of your inventory I CANNOT see. 

It would help with scammers as well, seeing if they indeed have the item they are seeling. 

Get it ? :P

I have an easy to use secret compartment.

A kadpack filled with the equivalent of four sequoia trees, a few tons of metallic ore and a gun.

Good luck finding the gun with a manual search :V

Or by profiling me through my clothes

My suggestion extends to entering a market area on a planet, not juking port authorities mate :P

That's a valid opinion, but could you elaborate? Would you like to see some kind of conceal/detect mechanic at all? Or just not be a matter of chance?

In the other territory control unit topic, rights and abilities are discussed. One solution was that some actions are legal and others are not. So perhaps sneaking/concealing would work by bypassing a security checkpoint all together?

But I still would like to see somehow the ability to sneak something past someone who is looking. I suggested a very high chance as being a maximum so that there no guarantee that I could sneak past, but that on average, I usually could.

Cargo scanners could have a limited range, so you'd need to place them properly around the perimeter without leaving any "hole". Then, they may be expensive in terms of energy consumption, so you'd create less, on a few entrances, and the perimeter would be closed by a wall (you'd need to cover the roof of your base too, for a perfect, closed system). With a good system in place like this, you shouldn't be able to hide anything, because is what happens IRL (you can hide stuff, but with a good system in place, you can't. In an airport they would even check inside your body for drugs, if they think there's need to).

So this would require building skills, to create, and ofc would influence the design of the city (you don't just build crazy stuff with no funcionality, but only because they're cool). 

Another thing that could be added, is that with a fast enough ship, you could be able to avoid being scanned. in this case, with some LUA scripting, should be possible to set an alarm, if you enter inside without being scanned. Then what? The automated defenses start shooting. So, you may find a blind spot, to avoid the bullets (and even here, this would mean that designing a good defensive system isn't just placing turrets randomly) or in alternative, you just know you have a limited time. Since this is an MMO, your ship doesn't necessarily get destroyed that fast, so you could drop a container for an accomplice, and leaev before getting destroyed (more multiplayer activities). A simple game design choice, could benefit different parts of the gameplay. And all I said isn't hard to add to the game.