Inspecting Peoples' Inventory

Anaximander

So, my idea is this.

You set up a nice, marvelous city in a planet. Let's call the planet
Bananaville.

Bananaville 's main city is Mango and it is a place where people can buy anything and the local goverment is run by a paranoid individual who doesn't want guns inside the city.

You set forcefield around the city and a main gate into it, positioning a few guards to check the flow of people in it. 

Let players inspect other peoples' inventory, to check if they carry guns or sabotage equipement with them that could take down arcification equipment and render a safe-zone's defenses inert.

Simple idea really. Make the inspection be a consensual process, requiring the inspected party have to accept to it. 

This is about inspecting enemy inventory, not about a possible pickpocket mechanism. Stay in topic. Cheers ^_^

This would be useful only if you could kill someone inside a safezone or TCU.

Safezones will be rare if my understanding is correct of how they want to implement them. Like a top-tier tech that pacifies the crowd. In any case, jamming devices that will take down defenses inside the city perhaps. Sabotage is as dangerous as a gun. Editing post accordingly good sir.

TCU(territorial control units) from my understanding are safezones too, with a time window or something similar, to avoid losing your claim overnight without being able to defend it. Still not sure if you could kill people inside it and it just protects blocks.

While for sabotaging a safezone, i doubt it, because the safezone itself wouldn't make sense

TCU(territorial control units) from my understanding are safezones too, with a time window or something similar, to avoid losing your claim overnight without being able to defend it. Still not sure if you could kill people inside it and it just protects blocks.

While for sabotaging a safezone, i doubt it, because the safezone itself wouldn't make sense

TCU are the Claim system from Landmark in a way, meaning other people can't build in your territory without your permission. Arkification Tokens are the Safeone thing. 

Well i dont see a problem with allowing this as long as there is a conceal skill where i cn choose to hide something anyways.

A "conceal" skill take all the actual skill away from infiltrations and espionage. You know, casual bribing, inside men, all the good stuff that can produce good internet stories. And a "conceal" skill would defuse the purpose of the inpsection as well. And I think you are confusing the Concealing with Jedi Mind Tricks good sir :P You can paint a grenade like an easter egg, it won't fool anyone with enough brain-power to breathe on auto mode :P

But the way I think of it, is to be part of trading interface. You see the other guy's inventory, he sees yours. It would really help with casual trading as well, making scamming harder. And to that extend, such an interface would help with people who want to play quartermasters in a military organisation, handing out rifles, armors, etc, to players that respawn (as on death, you lose all you got on your person as far as the devs have explained it).

It's something small in my opinion, that implicates itself in a greater scale down the timetable.

Were did you read that TCU will have pvp between players enabled? Because i can't find any mention to this.

Anyway it's not bad, this could be an extension to cargo scanners, that are probably already planned, since it's an important feature for people to understand what other people are carrying on their ships, so they can de ide if it's worth to attack them or not.

Were did you read that TCU will have pvp between players enabled? Because i can't find any mention to this.

Anyway it's not bad, this could be an extension to cargo scanners, that are probably already planned, since it's an important feature for people to understand what other people are carrying on their ships, so they can de ide if it's worth to attack them or not.

TCUs are a cross between Landmark's claims and  Lineage 2's siege crystals. You make a claim and then they are contested in PvP That's my understand of them. You set a claim, for a person to take over your territory, they need to fight for the area in PvP and play a game sort of King of the Hill. It's a great way of making defending your territory a must. 

TCUs are a cross between Landmark's claims and  Lineage 2's siege crystals. You make a claim and then they are contested in PvP That's my understand of them. You set a claim, for a person to take over your territory, they need to fight for the area in PvP and play a game sort of King of the Hill. It's a great way of making defending your territory a must. 

i understand what you're saying, and I know they are not invulnerable safezones, but still if the players will be able to fight inside it, depends on how novaquark wants to implement it. It could just be a complete safezones where you cant have pvp, except 2-3 hours a day, set by the owner, where it can be declared a war using a special items, and only after that, you can kill people. Who knowws...

@CaptainTwerkmotor,

Looking in my inventory, is like asking for my back pack at a gate to a sports arena....concealing my firearm would be hiding it at my ankle when you casually wave your metal detector around 60% of my body....there is skill in hiding things that doesnt take bribes, there is also skill in searching for concealed things...

You are asking to see in my bag, i dont see the game allowing me to hire mules to swollow ballons of plastic explosives to rp a non conceal skill approach....

i could get behind this idea as long as we have the ability to build smuggler ships. just work it like real life and make hidden compartments, if the inspector doesn't find them well you just won the smuggling mini game.

here is a question though. what happens when you get caught smuggling in illegal things?

I don't see the purpose in this if you: 

a ) cant kill people in these zones

b ) require consent to the search 

a more worth while mechanic would be something that simply prevents destructive behaviour in these safe zones 

@Shynras

It's war and conquest mate, not marriage proposal. You don't need to ask for permission, then use a magic ring to engage in war. Plus, asking for "special items, 1-2 hours a day, just fucks up people in the other side of the world and their timezones.

@Galloinfligo

It's FutureSpace good sir. Full body scanning. Can't hide anything on your ankle :P So, an inside job would be the only way to sneak in forbidden items and gadgets. Plus, I hate the term "skill" when it's something you just press a tick onto it in a menu. And I say again, having a conceal magic spell (cause that's what it is really, since it takes no effort on the player to do anything), is defusing the purpose of having an inspection system in place, and such a magic spell opens the gates to "+5% critical chance" magic "skills" that make the game an RNG simulator.

@Magnatron

Since the game is gonna be run by players, I guess you are tagged and blacklisted. And possibly, if Territorial Claim Units are in place, you could kick said person off your territory with the press of a button. So, it works in many ways.

Jedi mind powers, magic spells? I say screw skills for a character, lets make to players that want to build ships have to really know astrophysics, and engineering right??? Need a strpnger metal? Hope you brushed up on your metallurgy.

There is a point when a game based skill makes things easier. Its my point, you got tech to beat an ankle gun, i got tech to shield my item from your tech, and make it look like a different object

@GalloInfligo

Good sir, you are mixing construction with interaction.  With the same logic of Concealing, one can suggest another magical skill called "Insight". Boom, your Concealing skill is countered by that. No skill on my end, I just put a tick in a category. This is why some things need to be player-driven. You can't become a spy because you invested 5 points in Hacking, 5 points in magic stealth that turns you invisible by pressing a button and 5 points in Coercion. These need to be gameplay mechanics left up to the players.  It's a sandbox MMO. While I am totally down for a tech tree when it comes to building and crafting, interaction should not be limited to cookie-cutter preset builds, because cookie-cutter preset builds are cancer for MMOs. It's the reason I quit WoW and many other MMOs after that for that exact reason, people choosing the path of least effort to be the best, no individuality.

It's the kind of the same thing as saying "Well, I climbed on mount Everest once, I am a legit badass climber" and then you see George McFly going like "I did too. I took a chopper to the top. I am a climber as well." McFly in this case is the idea of becoming a spy because you ticked a box in a skill tree.

Weapon skills are excluded to this. I firmly suggest that weapons should be mastered with use in the game. You start bad and you get better by practising the weapon in game. 

But skills like concealing an item, should not be left to "Checking the Skill Tree". 

Plus, we all know ruffians will be in the game and having to interact with them and bribe them to help you sneak in a major city is a sick idea. Much immersive, many a ploys. Yarr.

I agree it would be better left to players as long as there is tech also available to counter your searching tech, so either tech or skill but one needs to be there.

Also as a whole other idea for you to ponder.... You dont allow weapons into your city, but with the nanoformer, i can just make them once past your security check point.

I agree it would be better left to players as long as there is tech also available to counter your searching tech, so either tech or skill but one needs to be there.

Also as a whole other idea for you to ponder.... You dont allow weapons into your city, but with the nanoformer, i can just make them once past your security check point.

That would require a forge or something. Maybe the owner of the city doesn't allow for people to craft anything in it :P And judging by the Territory Devblog, it would be as such. I can totally see players creating spy networks with local assets in every major city under their payroll. Perhaps even hiring a localete to locate the City's Territory Unit, intelligence gathering in other words. Perhaps an agent won't even have to carry a gun,  acting like a "tourist" to map out the city you intend to take over. thus rendering the "Concealing" and "Insight" skills practically inert. Everyone can pretend to be a merchant or a customer, just carry X amount of money with you so when the guards check your inventory, they go like "this guy means business, he's gonna lift the market off!" and let you in pronto :P

( I am not a miltiary historian, I just know a bit here and there .)

im not sure with (at least basic) weapons crafting needing any extra tools but the nanoformer...

"A nano-assembling cannon capable of absorbing, carrying, and reconfiguring the molecular structure of raw materials and of then forming, by freeing them in calibrated streams, most basic objects for which you have acquired the skills. I know I can manufacture weapons, simple shapes, objects whose schemes I remember, little things for the moment, but very useful." (fixed the typo)

https://devblog.dualthegame.com/2015/08/20/dual-universe-part-4/

you may not build a laser with it, but a modern day mechanical assault rifle should be possible from that description.

@Cornflakes

I know I am paranoid enough to have people walk into my city with only their money and the clothes on their person. And if shit hits the fan at a velocity of said shit turning to a shitstorm, I will pull a Mad King Targaryen and yell "BURN THEM ALL" and detonate my stockpile of nukes beneath the city.

@GalloInfligo

Good sir, you are mixing construction with interaction.  With the same logic of Concealing, one can suggest another magical skill called "Insight". Boom, your Concealing skill is countered by that. No skill on my end, I just put a tick in a category. This is why some things need to be player-driven. You can't become a spy because you invested 5 points in Hacking, 5 points in magic stealth that turns you invisible by pressing a button and 5 points in Coercion. These need to be gameplay mechanics left up to the players.  It's a sandbox MMO. While I am totally down for a tech tree when it comes to building and crafting, interaction should not be limited to cookie-cutter preset builds, because cookie-cutter preset builds are cancer for MMOs. It's the reason I quit WoW and many other MMOs after that for that exact reason, people choosing the path of least effort to be the best, no individuality.

It's the kind of the same thing as saying "Well, I climbed on mount Everest once, I am a legit badass climber" and then you see George McFly going like "I did too. I took a chopper to the top. I am a climber as well." McFly in this case is the idea of becoming a spy because you ticked a box in a skill tree.

Weapon skills are excluded to this. I firmly suggest that weapons should be mastered with use in the game. You start bad and you get better by practising the weapon in game. 

But skills like concealing an item, should not be left to "Checking the Skill Tree". 

Plus, we all know ruffians will be in the game and having to interact with them and bribe them to help you sneak in a major city is a sick idea. Much immersive, many a ploys. Yarr.

Perhaps, rather than have a specific skill, there'd be an item; say, like a hidden pouch you can stick in your inventory, and no one will be able to see it or it might be disguised as something else.

Perhaps, rather than have a specific skill, there'd be an item; say, like a hidden pouch you can stick in your inventory, and no one will be able to see it or it might be disguised as something else.

Now that is something that involves SOME skill on your part. Preperation and premeditation for your actions. But still, there should be a way to tell if you, not a Win situation, but a challenge.

I'm all for inventory inspection, but not for this kind of scenario. If someone walks into your city, or base etc, and you made clear, either via signpost, announcement, or other means of communication, that no weapons are allowed, and people still walk in armed, and fighting ensues, then you deal with the offenders. That's where part of the fun will be, dealing with the rule-breakers. I don't mean griefers either, and I'm not saying that because I'm in a pirate/smuggler based organization (we're good, freedom-loving pirates) but simply because space is a hard, cold place  :ph34r: .

I'm all for inventory inspection, but not for this kind of scenario. If someone walks into your city, or base etc, and you made clear, either via signpost, announcement, or other means of communication, that no weapons are allowed, and people still walk in armed, and fighting ensues, then you deal with the offenders. That's where part of the fun will be, dealing with the rule-breakers. I don't mean griefers either, and I'm not saying that because I'm in a pirate/smuggler based organization (we're good, freedom-loving pirates) but simply because space is a hard, cold place  :ph34r: .

Well, JC Baillie spoke of politics. I'm tots down for working for a military dictatorship. No, guns, allowed. And having to smuggle a gun into a city is the quintessential thing that will distinguish a good assasin from a bad one. Unless they add karate chops in the melee combat and cybernetics. Then we will also ban cyborgs as well, because, why not, let's go full Best Korea on our turf xD

Well, JC Baillie spoke of politics. I'm tots down for working for a military dictatorship. No, guns, allowed. And having to smuggle a gun into a city is the quintessential thing that will distinguish a good assasin from a bad one. Unless they add karate chops in the melee combat and cybernetics. Then we will also ban cyborgs as well, because, why not, let's go full Best Korea on our turf xD

Politics or military dictatorship aside, not many people will forgo their weaponry, probably hard-won, or crafted with much needed materials, and leave them aside to enter. Unless you've got some sort of weapon-detecting technology, it'll be difficult to enforce.

It's my belief in the darkness of space, and alien-strangeness of newly discovered planets, politics will come in the shape of guns, ships and defenses, and military dictatorships will be too busy warring for resources and fame and fortune to worry about enforcing security gates in case of gun-carrying rogues. 

That said, anything is possible at this point in time, it's all speculation  :D