Hello... from the WOOOORLD OF TOMOROOOoow!

Heya! Just heard about this project from a friend and can't help getting hyped about it against my better judgement. XD

This game sounds too good to be true and is set on a massive scale, so you'll have to excuse me if I take a somewhat cautious approach towards it. I've been burned often enough to have learned. But appearently not often enough to give up hope entirely. XD

Anyway, I'm a big fan of what Space Engineers has acomplished, but realise that S.E. will probably never be able to reach proper completion considering how shaky the engine is and how they can't afford to overhaul it at this point. But I won't dwell on that subject, since this isn't Space Engineers. XD

Loving the approach this team seems to be taking at the moment, focusing on stability first and foremost and limiting exposure to the masses. I do hope this company won't be shy to take drastic measures when they need to during the development phase and won't sucumb to the masses. A game made late is 10x better then a game made poorly! (so long as it doesn't bankrupt the company ofcourse.)

I wish the best to this project and will be keeping an eye on it! If I can help in any way at all, let me know. I may be a little cut and dry, but I always try to be constructive. :)

Welcome Eruend!

I totally TOTALLY get the heistation or cautions approach to games these days. So many companies have burned customers it should be against the law (in other industries it is). Even AAA studios are taking advantage of their loyal customers with subersive tactics and lawyer speak to get them out of deliveirng what was sold.

Those who know me know I am as skeptical as skeptical gets, but within reason.

Novaquark and their team are not only comprised of some industry greats, but seriously talented people. They have been extremely transparent with the community and make attempts at every corner to build trust.

I love this post from J.C. Baillie https://devblog.dualthegame.com/2015/04/24/dual-universe-financing/ .

​And actually, while I am on the topic of that dev post, read all of the dev posts, heck spend a few hours going over the main web page. Lots of cool stuff to see and read. The backstory by Alain Damasio is pretty cool http://www.dualthegame.com/backstory

Welcome aboard!

From one noob to another WELCOME!

I agree that there needs to be some healthy skepticism regarding any project that offers soo much that players want, and I think the general consensus is cautious optimism.  There was actually a series of videos done by BlueDrake42 questioning the promotional material for the game but in the end he had to kind of eat his own words.  Here's his final rant on where he's at so far... (he eats quite a bit of crow in this)

[Video removed]

From one noob to another WELCOME!

I agree that there needs to be some healthy skepticism regarding any project that offers soo much that players want, and I think the general consensus is cautious optimism.  There was actually a series of videos done by BlueDrake42 questioning the promotional material for the game but in the end he had to kind of eat his own words.  Here's his final rant on where he's at so far... (he eats quite a bit of crow in this)

(not sure what the rules are for posting videos here but I do believe this is relevant) 

Personally I would delete the video. That guy is not worth any of our time nor deserves the views as he cares nothing about facts.

Did Novaquark import a mesh: Yes. E3 came up fast and they needed to make a video. A hand built voxel ship can take months to build. Note the picture below. This took me a total of about 3 months with all the materials already farmed. Also note,  they still had to hand polish the mesh because the fine details did not take.

Does this mean that we can't make ships as cool as  the one shown in the video? No, we can make way cooler ships and buildings.

Is Novaquark being misleading in that video? Yes, only because the imported mesh does not even come close to showing what will be achievable in game. Players will make ships that make that mesh model look junky, I have no doubt about this absolutely NO doubt!

Why did they use a mesh? Because every tool that places voxels in the game is a mesh. When you place a cube, its a mesh of a cube. When you make a blueprint, its a mesh of your voxel build. When you place a sphere, its a mesh of a sphere. This is how they are able to make tools that scale up or down. There is nothing subversive about using a mesh in the game.

​The fact that bluedrake42 had to make fun of Nyzaltars English is proof of the immaturity this person exudes. Novaquark is from France, last I checked they speak French. I guarantee everyone on these forums that Nyzaltars English is 100000000x better than Bluedrake42's French.

lmx-1.png

lmx-1%202.png

I agree with every one of your points Kiklix, but for the moment BlueDrake42 and the TheXPgamers are the only ones on YouTube with any sort of following that even have videos about this game.  Also he did have one point; the devs need to get feedback from the community, and provide updates and transparency through the development process (even though he was kind of a dick about it).   

In any case I do believe NovaQuark is totally on the right path.  From what I've seen and heard so far they have an engine that can do what the gamers want, and are taking steps to grow the community and set up a process for getting feedback from the users.  Like Eruend said "Loving the approach" so far...

I agree with every one of your points Kiklix, but for the moment BlueDrake42 and the TheXPgamers are the only ones on YouTube with any sort of following that even have videos about this game.  Also he did have one point; the devs need to get feedback from the community, and provide updates and transparency through the development process (even though he was kind of a dick about it).   

In any case I do believe NovaQuark is totally on the right path.  From what I've seen and heard so far they have an engine that can do what the gamers want, and are taking steps to grow the community and set up a process for getting feedback from the users.  Like Eruend said "Loving the approach" so far...

Being a dick is kind of Bluedrake's whole show.

And please, let's not make the Dual forums like some other space game forums that their community doesn't even accept to take the game off the pedestal for a moment. 

If NQ takes feedback, the game will be great.

I do not want roadmaps, because roadmaps are silly. They devs may end up forcing half-done projects off the door to keep up with the roadmap.

The people behind the project are passionate on what they want to build. And as I stated in a private conversation, I would be contempt with half the features Dual offers. Give me a real-sized planet, the hex claim territory and call it "Second Earth". I would be more than contempt to play the game if their voxel engine doesn't torture my GPU , and given JC Baillie's stunt where he played the game on a laptop and the darn thing didn't explode, I guess it's safe to assume the engine and server tech are somewhat stable :P

huh. I didn't expect quiet as much of a response to my introduction topic. XD

I get that this game's not going to be Space Engineers, but I was wondering though, what's the scale of the structures we'll be able to make mechanical-wise? I get the feeling we won't be able to make things such as player built weapons, transforming configurations or walking mechs in this game. (I.E.: the use of rotors, pistons and connectors in S.E. which is both its bane and salvation) Though I do think this game might atleast end up getting a logics system to allow programing or such.

Any idea on wether or not this game will host similar features?

huh. I didn't expect quiet as much of a response to my introduction topic. XD

I get that this game's not going to be Space Engineers, but I was wondering though, what's the scale of the structures we'll be able to make mechanical-wise? I get the feeling we won't be able to make things such as player built weapons, transforming configurations or walking mechs in this game. (I.E.: the use of rotors, pistons and connectors in S.E. which is both its bane and salvation) Though I do think this game might atleast end up getting a logics system to allow programing or such.

Any idea on wether or not this game will host similar features?

Actually Mechs are kind of confirned in a Ask Us Anything response (check it on the main page of the forums).

Those mechs will be possible through LUA scripting, which IS confirmed to've been successfully integrated to the game's engine some time ago in the same Ask US Anything topic.

Wepons and armors for players will be predefined meshes with possibly color schemes, which I'm tots cool about :P

That's awesome!

I think there was some confusion about the weapons part though, so I'll clarify. Would it be possible to build something that would allow us to hurl a mass of voxels at an enemy ship? From what I've read on the "Ask Us Anything" topic, it almost sounds like it'll be possible, just not intended or desired.

If this is at all possible for the game, it's something the devs may want to keep an eye on when they try to balance the game for PvP. Because you KNOW players are going to make some crazy devices. Such as small automated ships carrying a lethal payload in the form of a guided missile. Or huge cannons that are actually printers set to make a huge rod to be flung out towards an intended target with the use of some gimmick like wheels or something.

These weapons would go against the originally intended approach of having automated weapons shooting between ships and would add a significant layer of depth in space combat related to larger ships. But wether or not this would be a good thing for this game is up in the air. All I know, is that people (including me) will try their hardest to make such things happen if they are at all possible.