Agriculture,woodcutting etc in Dual Universe

KingofPR

I would like to see things like Agriculture,woodcutting and other more Passive jobs for Pve players.This could change the landscape in planets, just imagine that at the start of the game you see this forest infested planet with rivers and mountains then in lets say a year from release this planet has less forest(WoodCutting)and in its rivers borders you will see plantations.Now we coudld is for what could we use the Wood that we harvested for Fuel or it could also be used for decoration.Now for stuff like edible plant it could be used for filling you're  hunger bar or Buff?     

I've seen a devblog mentioning wood, and actually there has to be a way to remove all those trees we've seen in the teaser, or we couldn't build anything xD

Regarding agricolture, would be cool, not a priority though.

Yeah it wood be nice to make some decorative furniture/log cabins at the start. I think also there was mention of the tree sap being used as fuel. But aside from those, there wouldn't be much use for wood later on in the game.

As far as other agriculture goes, food was mentioned in another topic and had mostly a negative response. I think it's just too much of a chore and a worry to keep your character fed to make it fun.

I could see agriculture being a nice thing, but not food. But perhaps we could grow materials and fuel. Though I suspect in the future people will have better ways of powering/heating their stuff than charcoal.

Such things already seem like they will be a main part of the game. Woodcutting will most certainly be, as you can shape voxels (made of wood) with a lot of detail. As for agriculture, you will need to find a renewable source of food for your faction, group, and so on. So farming will no doubt be in the game, at least some form of it. You can be sure that this game will not be all about those who PVP/PvE to win. There will be passive jobs. In fact, earning money will be a main goal for many, as if you earn enough money in-game, you will be able to purchase an in-game item that will allow you to play another month for free. (As the pay model has been confirmed to be a monthly subscription)

Such things already seem like they will be a main part of the game. Woodcutting will most certainly be, as you can shape voxels (made of wood) with a lot of detail. As for agriculture, you will need to find a renewable source of food for your faction, group, and so on. So farming will no doubt be in the game, at least some form of it. You can be sure that this game will not be all about those who PVP/PvE to win. There will be passive jobs. In fact, earning money will be a main goal for many, as if you earn enough money in-game, you will be able to purchase an in-game item that will allow you to play another month for free. (As the pay model has been confirmed to be a monthly subscription)

This is under the assumption that food will be required in the game, which afaik we have no confirmation of and large portions of the community seems to be against.

The problem with food is that unless the requirement is low enough to be trivial, which defeats the whole purpose, is that it limits your ability to just log on and sit around talking to people. It may well create situations where not playing the game is the best move one can make in a given situation and I don't think that is healthy for a game. Survival mechanics sound fun on paper but once they are ingame they can be a real detriment to fun.

I would like food to be a requirement as it is a whole industry and there will always be demand for it. Woodcutting and the others will be done with the nanoformer/forge as its done in the lore that way as i remember but it is there. It also adds a whole new strategic target for war as if they have no way to grow food they can not fight.

The problem with food is that unless the requirement is low enough to be trivial, which defeats the whole purpose, is that it limits your ability to just log on and sit around talking to people. It may well create situations where not playing the game is the best move one can make in a given situation and I don't think that is healthy for a game. Survival mechanics sound fun on paper but once they are ingame they can be a real detriment to fun.

Minecraft has food, DayZ has food, Rust has food, Empyrion has food, tons of survival games have food and they don't turn into the scenario you're talking about. If there's no survival mechanics they may as well just be building Everquest Landmark 2.0 . 

Minecraft has food, DayZ has food, Rust has food, Empyrion has food, tons of survival games have food and they don't turn into the scenario you're talking about. If there's no survival mechanics they may as well just be building Everquest Landmark 2.0 .

You freaking get it, it makes big groups grow slow like in Rust etc.

I would like food to be a requirement as it is a whole industry and there will always be demand for it. Woodcutting and the others will be done with the nanoformer/forge as its done in the lore that way as i remember but it is there. It also adds a whole new strategic target for war as if they have no way to grow food they can not fight.

Got to admit I love food mechanics, especially if intuitive and it feels complimentary to gameplay,  rather than a hindrance. Obvious example being Minecraft as most people know. 

I also would be up for Woodcutting and other skills, all those beautiful trees hopefully have a purpose too other than looking pretty  :P.

I hope DU offers an array of skillsets for different types of people.

Producing botanical gardens to create components for medical itens, YES. THAT is an industry. THAT is fun gameplay mechanics.

You know what is not fun? Playing Tamagotchi ...
in SPAAAAAAAAAACE.

Stop asking for a better version of Empyrion please and let Dual Universe become its own niche in the market. 

The Devs aim for 100000 players in a server. You know what doesn't sell? SURVIVAL MMOs.

You want an MMO with thousand of players online, or Space Tamagotchi with 50 people in the server?

If you want the latter, you are either a hipster of MMOs or a moron. Pick your poison.

Producing botanical gardens to create components for medical itens, YES. THAT is an industry. THAT is fun gameplay mechanics.

You know what is not fun? Playing Tamagotchi ... in SPAAAAAAAAAACE.Stop asking for a better version of Empyrion please and let Dual Universe become its own niche in the market. 

The Devs aim for 100000 players in a server. You know what doesn't sell? SURVIVAL MMOs.

You want an MMO with thousand of players online, or Space Tamagotchi with 50 people in the server?

If you want the latter, you are either a hipster of MMOs or a moron. Pick your poison.

DUDE CAN YOU FUCKING STOP BEING A MASSIVE DICK IN EVERY POST CALLING ME A MORON FOR AN IDEA I THINK WOULD BE COOL?TY

@Dragoon

I was not talking about you? >_>

In fact, I agreed to an extend on your idea of agriculture on the basis it will produce medical components.

The heckling part was for people who lobby for DU to be a survival game. 

Cool?

I dont want this to be a TAMAGOTCHI like some asshole thinks some people want but i dont want this to be Landmark 2.0,I want more deph to Pve features

When you say more depth in PvE... did Landmark had any PvE to begin wiith ? :P In comparison to Landmark, I would take hunting down cows with a lasso as satisfying PvE xD

If we want survival mechanics I'd much rather they went the space engineers route, with oxygen and energy. If you are in a oxygenated and warm environment you don't have to worry but out in space... lets just say things are different.

the language is becoming a little bit toxic here, heated arguments are great, but pls avoid direct insults like "some asshole" etc. ;)

agriculture for medizin/catalysators etc. is great, but ofc. not in connection with a food mechanic.

Even if some may find it appealing to have to eat every few hours, most voxelbuilders and general mmo players will find it annoying, and thus it's something not desireable for a mmo which aims to have more than 100players online at the same time, thus no matter what the people in the forum say, the devs wouldn't be so ... "optimistic" to implement something like that. I think that topic was mentioned often enough and doesn't need further discussion for now ^^

well is food is going to be in game then some sort of state of the art hydroponic farms fr geneticaly modified super food would make sence. Not farming in general as we know it today - in open land ect. You could even have a hydroponics module in an exploration ship... that actualy would be cool!

well is food is going to be in game then some sort of state of the art hydroponic farms fr geneticaly modified super food would make sence. Not farming in general as we know it today - in open land ect. You could even have a hydroponics module in an exploration ship... that actualy would be cool!

While your point has merit, there's the issue of mass and power. Having a hydroponics module is something I can't see being not viable, but then there's the power consumption of the module. Fuel runs out. If you mean to have a sort of moveable home to go cruisin' from planet to planet, then sure, it's viable as you would be near a resupply line. But for deep-space exploration, it's kinda blurry if it's gonna be possible. For what they are worth, solar panels do not work away from a star :P