Meditating about LUA and the Virtual Simulator

Asimos

https://devblog.dualthegame.com/2016/02/20/builder-gameplay-voxel-tools-elements/

Here is a brief outline to some safe building zone ideas: [...]
Virtual Simulator: enabling player to enter a virtual world (call it “inception syndrome”!). While in that virtual space, the player would be able to design any construct, in a completely peaceful setting. This would help builders to design their construct and create their blueprints safely, without being interrupted by any PvP action. For ships, it will also be possible to test their flight mode, without risking a crash or wasting resources!

I was reading this in the devblog, meditating about the possible relationship between the "virtual simulator" and the LUA code...

Starting from the point that in the "real game" you could use LUA only to interact with the "Mesh-based Elements"; should it be possible to use the code in the simulator to automatically build complex (or repetitive) voxel patterns?

What do you all think about it?

https://devblog.dualthegame.com/2016/02/20/builder-gameplay-voxel-tools-elements/

I was reading this in the devblog, meditating about the possible relationship between the "virtual simulator" and the LUA code...

Starting from the point that in the "real game" you could use LUA only to interact with the "Mesh-based Elements"; should it be possible to use the code in the simulator to automatically build complex (or repetitive) voxel patterns?

You're not allowed to build in the virtual simulator, but to design only. So far we know there are going to be Elements with the ability to build. We don't know yet if there'll be one with the ability to design. But i doubt it, since it doesn't make sense. 

Regarding the "build voxel patterns", I imagine you could create a blueprint of it, and print it as many times you want in the real world, with a factory unit. If there'll be a merge block, you could maybe create an automated system in the real world, that craft multiple "patterns", merge them, so you'll get the "repetitive pattern" result you are looking for. 

the virtual simulator is kinda like single player creative from what I have read. You can build whatever you want there and such but it will not exsist outside of the simulator. Thats why I sugested making it an actual single player thing that can be done offline away from the servers.

Depends on how much control they let us have using LUA but sounds interesting. I doubt they will have the simulator automatically making things though unless its through a foundry at which point you might as well build it in world as you would have the blueprint already as far as I know

I like the word you've chosen. Meditating. Cause that's EXACTLY what I do before getting down to working on code. Meditating. :P I see this game turning me into a monk after a few months trying to make a mecha walk properly :D

You're not allowed to build in the virtual simulator, but to design only. So far we know there are going to be Elements with the ability to build. We don't know yet if there'll be one with the ability to design. But i doubt it, since it doesn't make sense. 

Regarding the "build voxel patterns", I imagine you could create a blueprint of it, and print it as many times you want in the real world, with a factory unit. If there'll be a merge block, you could maybe create an automated system in the real world, that craft multiple "patterns", merge them, so you'll get the "repetitive pattern" result you are looking for. 

I wasn't thinking about an element, more about some kind of console...

A way to use the LUA code to "automatically" place some blocks (in the virtual simulator, at that point you should eventually add the Elements by hand and save the end result in a bluprint to build outside the simulation)... A lot of things that you could do by hands could be made a lot easier with the help of some script (eg: define all the cubic voxels that fit in a sphere of given radius, draw some sort of fractal pattern repetition, and so on...).

I wasn't thinking about an element, more about some kind of console...

A way to use the LUA code to "automatically" place some blocks (in the virtual simulator, at that point you should eventually add the Elements by hand and save the end result in a bluprint to build outside the simulation)... A lot of things that you could do by hands could be made a lot easier with the help of some script (eg: define all the cubic voxels that fit in a sphere of given radius, draw some sort of fractal pattern repetition, and so on...).

There are going to be "voxel tools" in the game (I think that's what you're asking for), there's a devblog about it, or a thread quite detailed. So you'll not have just to place a 25cm block one by one, but you'll have commands (maybe on your action bar, like Landmark), that you can use to place bigger blocks, drag your mouse to create large surfaces, or tools like that. 

LUA doesn't place blocks, it only serves to program elements. So before the scripting, you'd need an element capable to place blocks.

There are going to be "voxel tools" in the game (I think that's what you're asking for), there's a devblog about it, or a thread quite detailed. So you'll not have just to place a 25cm block one by one, but you'll have commands (maybe on your action bar, like Landmark), that you can use to place bigger blocks, drag your mouse to create large surfaces, or tools like that. 

LUA doesn't place blocks, it only serves to program elements. So before the scripting, you'd need an element capable to place blocks.

I know about the tools description in the dev blog, it is one of the first things i've read! ;)

Let's say that you want to design the blueprint of structure like this (something that is not made by simples pattern, like plane surfaces or rows of voxels), maybe composed of hundreds small blocks:

incendia-ex-objet-voxel-hgg-hde4-n8i76.j

Place them one by one, by hand, could be a true nightmare! But if you have at your disposal some sort of console, like this...

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/CE24kR13QJI/maxresdefault.jpg

It could be quite trivial!

I know that the my proposal is a bit strage, maybe what i need is more similar to a modelling software than a game interface, but... Hey... Never say never! :P

An array tool maybe or a merge block to merge many of those pieces together, crafted by a single blueprint. Imdoubt there's going to be more than that, you'll build it by hand. A big ship is considered a multiplayer activity, so in that case, you should look for people to help you.

Yes perhaps some kind of console where you can write scripts to generate patterns would be cool, but that could be an issue if, for example, a player generates some code from an existing model to create constructs. The devs may object to people importing constructs rather than creating their own. I would go one step further and suggest an import feature which accepts a common 3d-model filetype. It's a feature I would support, though I think the devs might object to that too.

I hope there will be possibility for one to make some kind of converter that converts 3D pictures to ingame voxel shapes like there are for 2D pictures in some games etc. So we can just make something in graphic program and convert/import it into the game without any issues.  :D