Destructable Planets?

28 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think destroying a planet would be fun

• yes - blow that sh## up
    • no - that's where i keep my things i assume
    • yes - i'd mine it until its all gone!

Is the planet entirely made of voxel material? if so will it be theoretically possible to destroy an entire planet? 

please say yes, if we really are going to have a GIANT universe with nearly endless exploration options and locations to call home it would be a real unique feature. 

Obviously this should be something that would take a huge collaborative effort and massive amounts of resources, something that may not be technically feasible to do but theoretically possible if a large group is dedicated to the task. 

What's the purpose? You can't mine the planet to the last brick. You can't destroy planets either.

Edit by Nyzaltar:

Unappropriate vocabulary part removed.

Even if you disagree with some suggestions, it doesn't give the right to be impolite.

what if you couldn't dig into it, but you could eventually amass enough arms to destroy a volume equal to the entirety of the planet.

if it was an astronomical task that would take hundreds of people focused on a singular goal for an extended period of time. I think it would be nifty anyway.

what if you couldn't dig into it, but you could eventually amass enough arms to destroy a volume equal to the entirety of the planet.

if it was an astronomical task that would take hundreds of people focused on a singular goal for an extended period of time. I think it would be nifty anyway.

I don't think it could be hard to implement, but since this isn't dragonball, I don't think it will ever happen

Being able to destroy a planet might be fun for that organization who like to grief people for no other reason than to watch them suffer, but I imagine the work and effort performed by players on a planets worthy of being destroyed would far outweight the needs of the organization who wants to blow up planets. Meaning if you piss off enough people they will quit the game and take their wallets with them. It makes no sense from a business standpoint to give that much power to a player over other players.

I don't think that's the case eve has shown that people will work insanely hard and then take the fruits of their labor and throw it at a problem knowing it might get destroyed

in any event, if one had the time to create such weapons in game, they could just as easily wipe everything off the surface of the planet down to the un-diggable zone anyway and the result for the players would be the same, just in a much less awe inspiring way .

Eve also has a smallish population of about 350,000 and seems to cater to a specific demographic. Dual has a wider appeal if for no other reason people are allowed to design and build their own creations.

I would have to imagine Novaquark would like to see as large of a population as they can get as this means $$$$$ which is the first reason to make a game for any company. Regardless, Nyzaltar has already stated that they have no intent on allowing planets to be destroyed.

Hi guttertrash and welcome to the forums :)

This topic has been brought up a couple of times before.  The most recent got a response from NovaQuark.

https://board.dualthegame.com/index.php?/topic/534-whats-about-fully-destructible-planetsstars/?hl=%2Bdestroy+%2Bplanet#entry3558

Hi everyone,

As said in another topic, technically anything on the planet is destructible (except what is built in safe areas).

However, there is also some gameplay balancing concerns.

It would be horrible for the people on the receiving end of it, or the people who are unlucky to be placed on the planet. They will lose everything.

This sentence sums up the problem.

+ the fact that having safe zones would be pointless.

So the clear answer is no, there won't be weapons powerful enough to destroy planets.

And yes it will be possible to destroy anything on a planet surface that isn't in a safe area (assuming the agressor has the means to destroy the defensive measures put in place).

Best regards,

Nyzaltar.

Ok First you would need a Deathstar to Destroy a planet like that(Cool idea btw),But really m8 i think something like that would be Crashing the server(If anybody knows more about stuff like server please Comfirm this or not confirm it).Just Imagine The lag and the Frame drops that would cause,youre basically distroyng something bigger than the biggest ship.

From Nyz in the "Ask us Anything" thread:

Indeed, the procedural generation algorythm used to make our first planets did the same thing that can be done with heightmaps.

However, we are looking into making 3D procedural generation, meaning caverns and similar things. As you can imagine, R&D is far from being finished in this domain. This is work in progress. As for the max depth you will be able to dig the ground, the exact limit hasn't been defined yet, but we are aiming at a few kilometers (the final decision may be tied to technical performances). Beyond that, let's say the temperature will start to raise too high to be a viable environment.

So looks like only up to a certain depth. And even if you wanted to, it would be difficult due to heat concerns.

I love the idea, simply because, you know, planet goes kaboom, but if you really think about it, doing so would be really problematic. I like the concept of planet glassing, and would be okay with that, but removing an entire planet could disrupt trade, something I enjoy dabbling with.