Wheeled or Tracked Vics?

Shōjiki_Haundo

I'd actually be fine with just hovercraft vehicles, If the tech was viable IRL we would probably use them over wheeled vehicles anyway.

One thing I do hope they add is some sort of rail system, for trains, space elevators, etc.

Unless you plan on going over bodies of water, cause tough luck on that department :P

Everyone knows hoverboards don't work on water.

For real though, however hover engines and water is implemented, they should work over water.

They could make them rotor-crafts. Like the ones the military use in Avatar (the Na'Vi one, not the attack to the senses Shyamalan made).

Having biroter-crafts is a more practical thing than hovercraft. Why? Cause HOVER-crafts can't fly. Birotors can. 

It's not me, it's physics :P

Cause HOVER-crafts can't fly.

They can if the devs make them fly. Also, fan based propulsion would be limited to environments with atmosphere.

Though the hover engines shouldn't work above a certain altitude, but this should be high enough to warrant the term "flying."

They can if the devs make them fly. Also, fan based propulsion would be limited to environments with atmosphere.

Though the hover engines shouldn't work above a certain altitude, but this should be high enough to warrant the term "flying."

If they add thrusters on a hover-craft... wouldn't that make it an aircraft? O_o

I mean, Harriers do that already, they hover, but they have jet engines and they are classified as VTOLs. So, a hovercraft that flies is a VTOL and not a hovercraft.

My brain hurts.

I was wondering if anybody remembers the hover bikes from Jak3 from the ps2 era.

if you make it. I will buy it. oh man will i buy it

I'll look into it. If I involve myself in crafting it will be with highly mobile vehicles, either cars, bikes or gundams :P

On the "how high can hoverdrives fly" topic:

Maybe they provide [blargh blargh directed gravity technobabble] upwards thrust that decreases with 1/h^k with h as the height measured from the terrain straight below it and k being some balancing constant ~2

That would decrease very fast with increasing height, faster than the gravitational pull (whichs 1/r^2 being measured from the center of the planet) and would enable a large variety of hovercraft.

Large, heavy tank like vehicles which can only hover a few cm off the ground, over lighter speeder equivalents to "helicopter" like craft with light frames and oversized hover engines.

Of course the usual variations of larger drives and MOAR POWAAAH apply

On the "how high can hoverdrives fly" topic:

Maybe they provide [blargh blargh directed gravity technobabble] upwards thrust that decreases with 1/h^k with h as the height measured from the terrain straight below it and k being some balancing constant ~2

That would decrease very fast with increasing height, faster than the gravitational pull (whichs 1/r^2 being measured from the center of the planet) and would enable a large variety of hovercraft.

Large, heavy tank like vehicles which can only hover a few cm off the ground, over lighter speeder equivalents to "helicopter" like craft with light frames and oversized hover engines.

Of course the usual variations of larger drives and MOAR POWAAAH apply

VTOL as an idea (cause at the point the hovercraft can create lift is a VTOL to me :P ) is a nice idea in genral. But the real question would be if uhm, "hover engines" will be universal as modules, with the mass of the construct playing a factor on the hovercraft's distance from the ground. is the hover tech like the one being demostrated here 

?

Or is it somehow magically anti-gravitational? O.o Cause quantum locking is pretty much game over on the market if it comes out :P  Super-conductors babe. Pump that nitrogen more ~_~ mhmmm.

That superconducting levitation needs a strong magnet on the other side, doesnt "just work".

Would work for vehicles on prepared tracks but nowhere else.

But yeah, flux pinned superconductors are cool :P

With my simple lift calculation heavier vehicles would naturally stay closer to the ground as there the hover engines would be much more powerful

I dont know how to include mass and local gravity into the calculation while still including a flight ceiling for vehicles.

i thought about it, but everything i thought about made them too powerful

That superconducting levitation needs a strong magnet on the other side, doesnt "just work".

Would work for vehicles on prepared tracks but nowhere else.

But yeah, flux pinned superconductors are cool :P

With my simple lift calculation heavier vehicles would naturally stay closer to the ground as there the hover engines would be much more powerful

I dont know how to include mass and local gravity into the calculation while still including a flight ceiling for vehicles.

i thought about it, but everything i thought about made them too powerful

What if the superconductor was made wider and , naturally, imbued with more power, enough to ease the amount needed to levitate the vehicle itself via thrusters? O_o

Also, good point. Will different planets have different gravitational attractions? O_o cause that could make a hovercar pretty useless in some scenarios, while good ol' tracks will be crispy cream for such an occassion (I'm pretty sure you'll tell me I'm wrong, but let me speculate xD)

Tracks have the problems on the other end of the gravity scale :P

But yeah, vehicles would have different flight ceilings.

They would always have some movement abilities as their lift rises steeply at very low heights

Tracks have the problems on the other end of the gravity scale :P

But yeah, vehicles would have different flight ceilings.

They would always have some movement abilities as their lift rises steeply at very low heights

You know what I'm thinking? Afterburners from jets on a hovertank. Mhmmm, I don't know about you, but the soundtrack from Top Gun seems inappropriate for a flying tank imo.

A tracked tank with afterburner thrusters would be awesome.

if only robocraft worked on my computer, stupid broken anti cheat software :V

Well, we know they aim for hover-tech for ground combat. So, hovertank with afterburners = I believe I can fly, I believe I can touch the sky!

eh i'd prefer wheeled vehicles they tend to be more fun in terms of traversing the ground and well more practical, think about it hover vehicles are essentially flying and would use almost as much fuel and cost as much to produce as an actual ship, where as though a wheeled vehicle probably couldn't go as fast it would be more economical and practical. plus being able to go all dukes of hazard is always a bonus =D.

eh i'd prefer wheeled vehicles they tend to be more fun in terms of traversing the ground and well more practical, think about it hover vehicles are essentially flying and would use almost as much fuel and cost as much to produce as an actual ship, where as though a wheeled vehicle probably couldn't go as fast it would be more economical and practical. plus being able to go all dukes of hazard is always a bonus =D.

You clearly have never ridden in a tank before. Imagine going dukes of hazard in a tank over a sand berm. Now that is fun. :D 

In seriousness though, I'd prefer wheeled/hover vehicles. 

Indeed, you can't turn up the volume on "they see me rollin', they hatin' " with a pesky hovercraft. It ain't rollin' , it ain't gangsta.