Wheeled or Tracked Vics?

Shōjiki_Haundo

hello. I'm new to forums for dual universe and i would like to say my hello's to all of you.

Question: Will there be Wheeled or Tracked Vichs in Dual Universe?

I've been looking throughout the boards and dev blogs in search of this certain aspect of the game's building element. But sadly i couldn't find anything regarding the topic, except for lets say "hover cars only" in one post. I just find this slightly disappointing. I know this game takes place far into the future but the exclusion of having Wheels or tracks for land Vichs seems out of place.
  I could name a few advantages for having Wheels or tracks. One being that they could be far cheaper to develop and maintain compared to hover (anti gravity) Technology.

(be gentle its my first time on this forum)

It's up in the air as of what vehicles can we expect. Only thing that is certain, are Mechas.

I don't see the problem for all 3 type of vehicles (wheels, tracks & hover) as not being different levels vehicle engineering, each having its own merit.

Wheels : run on biofuel, can go for longer in hard terrain.
Tracks : good for traversing sand,  primarily armored vehicles utilise it, biofuel also.
Hover : good at traversing anything , costs an arm, a leg and your firstborn to power it with FutureSpace fuel.

Pretty sure that wheels are going to be in the game. And even if not, since they confirmed rotors, you should be able to made them with blocks (same should be for tracks)

ground vehicles would be a must if planets have gravity, which I certainly hope they will. Flying vehicles have a limit to how heavy they can be before the fuel needed to lift them becomes to expensive to be practical. I hope any assault on a fortified planetside base will require the use of ground vehicles.

I really really hope they will add wheel suspension. Flying is great but I like to keep myself on the ground whenever I can. That's true, wheels could affect server performance if you look into KSH game, however nobody expects physics MMO simulator, right? Physics needs to be at high level, that's true, but it don't have to be super advanced performance consuming feature. Impression in that case is more important than mirroring reality.

For and advantage of wheel set there should be extremely low energy consumption. Energy is everything, saving it could be really fun part of the game. We will see what NQ will bring to us, I believe they have been testing other let say 'competetive' titles, they are aware of fun coming from one of the oldest human invention :-D.

I really really hope they will add wheel suspension. Flying is great but I like to keep myself on the ground whenever I can. That's true, wheels could affect server performance if you look into KSH game, however nobody expects physics MMO simulator, right? Physics needs to be at high level, that's true, but it don't have to be super advanced performance consuming feature. Impression in that case is more important than mirroring reality.

For and advantage of wheel set there should be extremely low energy consumption. Energy is everything, saving it could be really fun part of the game. We will see what NQ will bring to us, I believe they have been testing other let say 'competetive' titles, they are aware of fun coming from one of the oldest human invention :-D.

I can see people making fancy muscle cars and selling them to people who want to have a collection of sorts.

GRAND THEFT AUTO : DUAL UNIVERSE.

I really like what i see from the posts on this topic. From what i can tell, yes wheels and tracks should be a thing in DU as a cheaper and more appropriate mode of transportation on planets compared to hover technology (in most cases). The only apparent problem that comes to mind is how the physics engine and server will handle them. I remember in SE that wheels were a give or take a Dodgy thing at best. so a quick solution is to make land vichs into a sort-of semi physic object (i dont know much about physic engines)  similar to that of lets say World of tanks type physics. 
not only that but with the inclusion of Wheels and tracks also implies a new aspect for business and economy. People interested in the creation of amored Tanks, APC's, Artillery, all the way to Dump Trucks, Mineral Excavators, and leisure vichs have a new market that also mirrors the development of Space ships and planes.

I just hope that if they do make wheels/tracks they're better than the space engineers ones, the space engineer in me cried a little when he read the bit "there will be rotors so you can make wheels"

I know its not SE but if you live a year or so with randomly exploding rotor blocks you learn to fear them a little :P 

I just hope that if they do make wheels/tracks they're better than the space engineers ones, the space engineer in me cried a little when he read the bit "there will be rotors so you can make wheels"

I know its not SE but if you live a year or so with randomly exploding rotor blocks you learn to fear them a little :P

If that happens in DU, I'm setting up a vehicle building organisation, calling it General Rotors.  "Our cars will blow your mind. Quite literaly."

i was just considering the worst case xD. Anyway wheels are such a huge feature, i cant see them being ignored

If wheels aren't included/aren't buildable, then hover engines should be very easy to build and maintain. At least simple versions should be. Moving across ground on a planet shouldn't be made hard to achieve. It's a simple first step.

I'm really interested in seeing what kind of ground vehicles people can come up with.  Slightly off topic but I'm also looking forward to seeing the "reactor" tech that will be used for air vehicles.  It was brought up a long time ago and might have changed by now, but if they differentiate between air and space vehicles that opens up a whole load of questions and possibilities.

I'm really interested in seeing what kind of ground vehicles people can come up with.  Slightly off topic but I'm also looking forward to seeing the "reactor" tech that will be used for air vehicles.  It was brought up a long time ago and might have changed by now, but if they differentiate between air and space vehicles that opens up a whole load of questions and possibilities.

I do really hope that ground vehicles can have hitboxes depending on the parts that compose them. Can you imagine someone pulling a Hollywood-esque explosion by getting a lucky shot with an anti-materiel rifle on a guy's reactor engine? Tis' gonna be glorious.

My only concerns about this, is that mechs could just be something gimmick, for fun, and not competitive enough against the efficiency of a common wheel base vehicle

I'd hope for a rather situational balance between movement types.

With sometimes wheeled vehicles being advantageous, sometimes tracked, sometimes legged and sometimes hover vehicles being the best choice.

For high speeds on flat, firm terrain wheels would be the ideal solution, because they are fast and arent that good at scaling obstacles.

For lower speeds in rougher terrain treads would win because they are better at getting through mud and over rocky terrain.

For even lower speed in very rough terrain mech legs would win out because a mech can scale most things that arent vertical walls or water but arent likely to be able to keep up speed wise on easier terrain.

Mechas would likely also win out in urban combat because the high frame (because of plentiful cover) and low speed matter less there and building debris is no obstacle.

i suspect hovers will be more similar to helicopters and vtol aircraft than ground vehicles depending on their flight ceiling

Their flight ceiling would also strongly influence what terrain they could scale.

If its centimeters its a faster variation of wheels which can also traverse water and mud.

With increasing flight ceiling they could scale ever rougher terrain until they can ignore terrain completely.

They would likely be the most limited in carry capacity

There will be some kind of land vehicles, but we don't plan to have land vehicles with wheels at the moment. It will be more hovercraft or antigrav vehicles like Star Wars land speeders.

Got this in an email from NQ. Just to answer any questions on the matter of wheeled vehicles

I'd actually be fine with just hovercraft vehicles, If the tech was viable IRL we would probably use them over wheeled vehicles anyway.

One thing I do hope they add is some sort of rail system, for trains, space elevators, etc.

are you willing/allowed to share more of that mail? assuming theres more interesting data in there

All the other information in the mail has already either been confirmed, or it's up in the air still, to my knowledge. It was sent before I joined the forums.

All the other information in the mail has already either been confirmed, or it's up in the air still, to my knowledge. It was sent before I joined the forums.

*shrug* oh well, would have been interesting anyway.

One thing I do hope they add is some sort of rail system, for trains, space elevators, etc.

i want to build rail lines through jumpgates/wormholes.

Peter Hamilton's Commonwealth is best sci-fi universe