Minimum system requirements.

BogdanB

Hello there!

I'm really looking forward into this title one thing concerns me. Minimum system requirements... I'm not graphics quality maniac, I put above everything performance and smooth gameplay. Smooth starts at 35 fps per second so my question is what kind of killer machine is required to experience smooth gameplay at lowest preset? Recently I've bought cheapest laptop with GTX960m with 4 GB video memory and I'm worried I've chosen to weak graphic card for Dual.

I'm also curious if all the simulation will be handled by server or maybe some portion of simulation will be calculated by client machines?

We;ll have to see the Alpha and later optimastion for such a question in my honest opinion. My suggestion to check how strong your laptop is, is this :

Donwload Planetside 2. Play on a ridiculously overpopulated battle. If it's above 15 FPS, your laptop can handle anything thrown at it.

f it turns to 1 fps but the client won't crash, chill, chill, your laptop can still handle ANYTHING else.

Planetside 2 is the best game to test your rig's power level (despite your opinion of Planetside 2 as a game in general xD)

They said that requirements are going to be probably medium.

I do expect, compared to landmark, to be a little heavier gpu side, and a little lighter on the cpu, but similar in the general view. Ofc that's just my impression. 

well given that the game is a ways out its hard to say atm. however I would feel that anything in the 900 series will work fine for most games on a min setting. the witcher is a killer single game for gpu, its hard to push that thing to its max setting and its min is the old 600 series

edit: im referring to witcher 3 btw

Edited by Gingerdeadman6

Witcher 3 runs about 17 fps at highest settings, but as I said I don't care about quality. I think NQ will give players lot of tweaking options, so players with wicker rigs could play as well ass owners of high end machines. This is their key to success, if they will manage make game smooth at low end machines they will get access to millions additional players, office workers and other people who are to poor to afford great computer but are capable to afford monthly subscription. More players is always good, makes game more interesting :-D. Maybe someone from dev team will notice my question and could estate/predict minimum requirements :-D. I have to know what kind of lap-rig I need to buy my girlfriend for birthday. Thx Captain for suggestion, I'll check P2 when I'll be able to do so.

• 1 month later...

My name is PvT. Dean im currently getting ready to build 2 pc's one is going to be a intel i7' with 32 gigs of ram and a evga geforce gtx 1070 and a 1tb hard drive space and the other will be intel i5 with 32 gigs of ram and msi geforce gtx 750 with 500gb of hard drive space both with windows 7 pro. And will dual universe be on steam i really want it to be on steam?

My name is PvT. Dean im currently getting ready to build 2 pc's one is going to be a intel i7' with 32 gigs of ram and a evga geforce gtx 1070 and a 1tb hard drive space and the other will be intel i5 with 32 gigs of ram and msi geforce gtx 750 with 500gb of hard drive space both with windows 7 pro. And will dual universe be on steam i really want it to be on steam?

I would personally not make any assumptions about requirements and performance, time will tell. I have however seen a trend when it comes to these large scale type games and that is that it either runs well on computers that can handle the graphics or it runs badly for almost everyone. From what I can tell the devs seem to know their shit when it comes to tech and programming and have a somewhat realistic picture of what they can actually get away with so I'm choosing to be optimistic, although the game is probably years away so I'd guess the final requirements might seem high by today's standards.

The devs don't expect this game to be available for limited public Alpha until at least 2017 and have said (as Marax27 said) that todays high end machines could be tomorrows medium range machines, so I think worrying about your computers specs could be a bit premature.

Depending on how the players are selected for the 'limited public Alpha', we might not get to even play this game until 2018.

It's hard for me to imagine 30 FPS or more during a battle involving three or more large - thousands voxels each - spaceships. It's likely that some aspects of game will bring FPS loss - no matter how top-of-the-line PC you have.

I'm curious how many computations servers will do. Splitting tasks between server and our PCs would be good for performance, but it would also make a great opportunity for cheaters.

There is another variable. Planetside 2 is a good test of a game but there is a catch. Most Australians play planetside 2 on an Australian server near the airport in Sydney. If an Aussie tries to play on a US or EU server it's unworkable. There are no Australian servers for landmark  so I have trouble with it. The same is true for quite a few other games, World of tanks, several MMO need to segregate Asia from the others because of bad links: Hawaii, California, several places in the middle east (the data is going though real world war zones in a few cases).
If your not on a server in Australia, Singapore, Japan, Korea or Russia (Siberia) you get lagged to death. The optic fibres are fast but they're plugged into old telecommunications infrastructure in some places. This will be a problem for a single shard universe design. I'm not sure folks in the US and Europe know how bad that problem is. 

I'm not allowed to blame the undersea optic fibre cables my brother made them. In Sydney they go though a facility that is 100 years old. The optic fibre technology is new but the power system and control wiring is decades old.
It's a problem the devs need to know about. 

In response to the question "Can I run this game with a 1070 and i5?" on Twitter, they responded with:

"That should do the trick (we have lower configs at work at the moment, more like 960-970 with i5). But i7 might be a nice add too"

https://twitter.com/dualuniverse/status/765652458051895297