Biological Warfare

Kuritho

I feel like that'd be a little OP, killing so many players at once. Of course, that's the point of a bio bomb; to kill many, many people, indiscriminately 

I feel like that'd be a little OP, killing so many players at once. Of course, that's the point of a bio bomb; to kill many, many people, indiscriminately 

The difference between an actual bomb and a virus is that:

You actually have to come in contact with the virus for it to hurt you.

A bomb could target a building and you could still suffer.

Actually, you can achieve much more with a dirty bomb (a dense radiation dispenser bomb), to kill targets fast, but not create an uncontrollable contagion that will pretty much derp up the planet.

Just sayin'.

Actually, you can achieve much more with a dirty bomb (a dense radiation dispenser bomb), to kill targets fast, but not create an uncontrollable contagion that will pretty much derp up the planet.

Just sayin'.

Dirty Bombs have been used in many wars and it effective as hell

And to combat this, you could install an extra "cure" module in the life support systems to distribute a cure to your entire ship. The enemy would combat that with a more "virulent" strain.

Bio-weapons could be really fun indeed. >:)

IF the DU devs introduce a biological weapon into the game, I pray that it has NO contagious effects what so ever!  Every time a game developer tries to incorporate an in-game disease thinking they are being clever, it explodes in their face.  World of Warcraft had TWO outbreaks of an in-game disease effect spreading out of control.  (Some how they didn't learn their lesson the first time.)  In both cases, the CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) studied the outbreak for actual research.  Food for thought.

IF the DU devs introduce a biological weapon into the game, I pray that it has NO contagious effects what so ever!  Every time a game developer tries to incorporate an in-game disease thinking they are being clever, it explodes in their face.  World of Warcraft had TWO outbreaks of an in-game disease effect spreading out of control.  (Some how they didn't learn their lesson the first time.)  In both cases, the CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) studied the outbreak for actual research.  Food for thought.

That sort of brings out the entire point of a contagion.

Also, you could easily cleanse a ship by opening all of its airlocks in infected rooms.

Planets... we are talking building a huge wall.

Also, you could easily cleanse a ship by opening all of its airlocks in infected rooms.

That's not how pressure works mate. And bacteria can survive a heck of alot. To the point NASA has to decondaminate astronauts coming from space due to baceteria lurking in the vacuum of space. You cleanse the ship, Good Job, you lost half of your oxygen perhaps. Does it guarantee you cleansed the ship? Nope. 

No, that's what makes a GAME unplayable.  And this is also the point.  You are making the exact same assumption/mistake those game developers did.  You cannot control something like this.  As soon as you program in virulence it has all the same problems it has in real life.  The only way they could stop the outbreak in WoW was to turn that program off completely.  There is no "easily cleansing" or clever in-game mechanic to resolve it.  I don't think I can express enough how bad an idea this and how we don't need this level of immersion.

SWTOR has the rakghoul outbreak every other month or so and its actually kind of fun.

The disease will kill you and when you die you infect others around you, but it is easily remedied by purchasing a stim that cleanses it and give you immunity for a duration.

​In this example, I like diseases. In the wow example, not so much.

That's not how pressure works mate. And bacteria can survive a heck of alot. To the point NASA has to decondaminate astronauts coming from space due to baceteria lurking in the vacuum of space. You cleanse the ship, Good Job, you lost half of your oxygen perhaps. Does it guarantee you cleansed the ship? Nope.

Wat? Decon for astronauts because of space bacteria? i want the stuff you smoke man.

Theres nothing up there we didnt bring up ourselves, and anything we dragged up there has way too subcritical concentrations that a decon because of any microorganisms an astronaut collects would be necessary.

Taking tardigrades and bacteria through the solar system, that happens often, they actually started to decon mars probes before launch not to contaminate mars with earthly life.

But decon from anything you gathered in space?

That claim needs some serious backing to be believable