Hacking

Halo381

I took a gander at the forums and I didn't see anything on hacking (possibly missed it, idk) but what do you guys think about having the ability to hack into enemy systems?

I was thinking of a situation where you're trying to determine the affiliation of a pirate but their information is hidden so you'd have to hack into an interstellar library system to figure out what organization they're apart of. Or maybe you've snuck your way into an enemy ship and hack into their systems so that you can shut off their weapons or shields, to make it easier for your buddies to raid. 

These are my thoughts. Feel free to tear them apart.

So hacking has been confrimed by the devs for one system, and that's is the Territory Units. https://devblog.dualthegame.com/2015/07/24/territory-control/#more-468 in this Dev blog, they say that hacking into a Territory Unit is a method of capture. So we know that the system will be in place, but as for what other things will be hack-able I am not sure.  It could be that the DCUs have a mini-game security system by which you can break in and scramble the script, and it would be sort of balanced in the sense that while yes, your system maybe offline but to fix it, all the player would have to do is reconnect with the box and load a saved file. This opens the door to some pretty interesting scenarios for when your assaulting a base or station.  

Hacking into enemy systems could be interesting, as far as one could imagine anyway.

I like the idea that it may be possible to hack locked containers - meaning nothing could truly be safely stored on a ship during a raid unless extremely well hidden. 

As for other uses, maybe shutting down systems or using weapons against their own people could work. 

Of course, I'm still half asleep and my ideas are not great, so I may edit this later, lol. 

Hacking has been confirmed as a long term feature. It won't be in alpha, probably not in beta, maybe at official launch, otherwise in an expansion/update. That info is a good few months (a year?) old though, and a lot of things can happen during development.

Well, but what do you mean for hacking in game? "Press F to hack" ?? A minigame?? A real interaction between LUA scripts?? 

I figure hacking would be a minigame, though once you complete that and are in the system, it could be possible to interact with the LUA Scripting of say, a ship, and lock some doors, maybe turn off the thrusters. Perhaps the hacking minigame would only give a player entry level access to the systems on the ship, and to unlock certain things like the weapons system you'd have to go through another level in the minigame.

Just a thought

Could work in some situations. Ofc you shouldnt be able to hack a ship from outside. But once inside you could interact directly with various elements, like an energy generator, the main hangar door or wathever. But to interact with multiple blocks remotely (still from inside the ship), imho you would need to hack a block that has those components linked in some ways.

I was hoping there would be 3 locks:

1. Pin Code (4 Digit)

2. Manual Opening (grinding the block and getting all THOSE DELICIOUS COMPUTER PARTS, and access of course)

3. Play a mini-game that gets harder (snake the game maybe?) with each security protocol and upgrades.

4. Sending a virus by:

A. Direct

B. Wireless

C. Sabotage during manufacturing

The PIN CODE would be the most safest (assuming you don't have a super hard Galaga level 200000) but would come with a safer chassis (balancing reasons). The Manual Opening would be another option, time consuming though. A mini-game would be for those people who are too #### good at them games. Plus, most minigames would require some time. A virus would make you an authorized person in that block/systems computer.

@Kuritho

Or, you know, build an in-game decoder, like every other hacker does in real life, pick-pocket a sample of genetic material for the DNA scanner and then proceed to open the doors/safes/whatevers.

Or if push comes to shove, rely on our Lord and Savior, an azidoazide azide explosive charge and bust that safe door open.

I know what code I would use:

1 - 7 - 3 - 4 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 2 - 1 - 4 - 7 - 6 - Charlie - 3 - 2 - 7 - 8 - 9 - 7 - 7 - 7 - 6 - 4 - 3 - Tango - 7 - 3 - 2 - Victor - 7 - 3 - 1 - 1 - 7 - 8 - 8 - 8 - 7 - 3 - 2 - 4 - 7 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9 - 7 - 6 - 4 - 3 - 7 - 6 - Lock

I mean... uhhh..... nevermind!

Hacking could involve simply revealing what that code is. Don't limit it to 4 digits though.

@Velenka

Sure, perhaps a "greater quality" lock allows for more digits, which would require a stronger decoder device (gameplay wise that is). But I will still rely on explosives. Because why not.