Inventory, Cargo and Storage.

So how will the inventory system work, in the brief trailer we see someone produce a cockpit and part of a ship hull from what i assume is their personal inventory so I'm guessing it's quite large in fact large enough to hold all the resources to build a fighter, done with the shake of his glowing hand (some sort of nano fabrication or something). How does this translate to ships, am i going to have to pipe/conveyor the minerals mined by the drill at the front of my ship back into a storage container or will the ship be one entity and the container fill by itself as long as it's part of the ship.

Considerations for the piping/conveyor system is that it would make ship design complicated but in a good way, interesting to do and something to think about carefully and optimise so you're not weighing your ship down with too much internal piping but also you then fall into having to have connectors on the ship to link to other ships/buildings/star bases that you wish to trade with.

If you go with the one entity approach there is less to think about and your ship designing doesn't require you to think about internal mechanics and functionality. With regards to trading you can simple shift resources from one cargo hold to the other without regard for how (probably short range tele) if they are close to each other. Then you have to consider the range that this transfer can occur at, can it be increased perhaps by scaling to ship size or perhaps some sort of power hungry module like molecular transporters and can you build ones so big you can buy and sell remotely to an entire planet or Solar system.

You could also go with the one entity approach and require direct contact between the two such as having to touch hulls or sit on a buildings/star bases landing pads.

Also what considerations are there for people who want to steal cargo, can you simple rock up and hack into it, perhaps you have to damage it to a certain threshold before you can loot it or even destroy it.

Circle back around to the building side, we see him use his glowing hand, are there larger ship sized module versions that i can put on the front of a builder ship to produce large objects or would we have to design a capital ship in person in small pieces (not a good idea honestly lol). Once i finish my ship and have the blueprint how will production proceed, do i need a factory with a big open space for the ship to spawn into as arms piece it together or will it just pop out next to it, I don't think a small space station or building should be able to produce something larger than itself.

What are people thoughts and if any of these questions are part of other threads can you link them in please. 

Welcome to the forums Mafoon!

I would definitely favor having conveyor systems throughout ships for the reasons you mentioned. Just adds a new level of functionality to ship building and thankfully that is what is planned.

Circle back around to the building side, we see him use his glowing hand, are there larger ship sized module versions that i can put on the front of a builder ship to produce large objects or would we have to design a capital ship in person in small pieces (not a good idea honestly lol). Once i finish my ship and have the blueprint how will production proceed, do i need a factory with a big open space for the ship to spawn into as arms piece it together or will it just pop out next to it, I don't think a small space station or building should be able to produce something larger than itself.

I know that you can resize voxels dynamically so you would probably be using larger hull blocks for a capital ship, although you can still use small ones for detail. 

I've seen that there will be large scale industrial elements for constructing blueprints but after just looking around for info I can't seem to find anything. I just hope to see appropriately large shipyards for building large ships.

• 1 month later...

"The conveyor system is a good idea, but if it's pipes that small, good luck trying to pass a small jet or a large object through 2 metre diameter pipes. Pipes should be limited to resources, in my opinion. Well, again, it's five hundred years into the future and we don't know what kind of conveyor system, the developers have up their sleeves. Honestly, I would prefer if ore and resources were packaged into one big box for each type and objects like ships, jets, vehicles, structures were disassembled.

This would allow for the pipe/conveyor system you suggested while making sure that we don't damage sensitive structures like vehicles and thingamabobs. 

Still, the best idea would be to keep ships and vehicle in bottles, like the kind Blackbeard in Pirates of the Caribbean used to keep conquered ships. Now, that would be wonderful. 

"

I like inventory systems that are simple and easy to use. The idea I have thought of is two types of containers. Personal containers that sit on elements or terrain and can be opened by a player by going up to it and clicking. The other would be a cargo hold style container that is accessed from a panel. All cargo hold elements attached to the ship(or w/e object you made) are combined when accessing via a panel and items can be transferred to and from the cargo hold via the panel interface. I suppose that since pvp is a factor you could either always grant access via the panel(via hacking or a skill perhaps) or maintain that the cargo hold elements can be opened manually just like a personal storage they just don't have to be opened that way.

In always liked the idea of having 2 types of inventory systems; A basic one when you put all items in and leave them there (just like Minecraft) but everyone has access to it so you have to be weary of who you let into your house/structures, etc.

And second to have a sort of limited (maybe 20 items or so) bank/safey deposit box so you can keep money or other very valuable things in.

You have to think of a balance because it's still a game at the end of the day. I don't want to sink 30 hours in and gather thousands of resources just for someone to turn around and stab me in the back and steal everything. I think I'd rage quit :P

On a side note I'd hate the idea of "insta-teleport-items" from one ship to the other. That just feels a cheap and nasty way of going around a problem and breaks immersion in my opinion.

You can have the pipes connecting (how ever small) and say they are transporting data via some sort of fiber optic cable, sort of a data/matter transporter. At least it adds more functionality and problems to overcome.

I like the idea of conveyor systems and being able to see it moving into the ship though :)

"Well, lucky for us, Novaquark just released a photo of a pair of containers. Find it here.

It would be safe to say, that moving items and energy will be done with containers like this. Of course, the options for pipes is still valid, given that energy would be transferred faster through pipes than carrying these nice looking boxes around.

"

"Well, lucky for us, Novaquark just released a photo of a pair of containers. Find it here.

It would be safe to say, that moving items and energy will be done with containers like this. Of course, the options for pipes is still valid, given that energy would be transferred faster through pipes than carrying these nice looking boxes around.

"

I think that is a very large assumption. The container is labeled personal container. Implying that it is not a ship cargo hold or container. And just because these containers exist doesn't really mean much about how they function. These could very well just be unmovable elements placed on terrain acting as a more standard storage box that you find in any number of games, minecraft, ark etc. None of those containers have anything to do with how you move inventory from a to b.

I think that is a very large assumption. The container is labeled personal container. Implying that it is not a ship cargo hold or container. And just because these containers exist doesn't really mean much about how they function. These could very well just be unmovable elements placed on terrain acting as a more standard storage box that you find in any number of games, minecraft, ark etc. None of those containers have anything to do with how you move inventory from a to b.

"I did not imply that all amounts of items and all items will be moved by these two containers. I also did note that energy will be more suitable for movement through pipes rather than boxes like these. It's going to be most tedious to move thousands of these again and again, don't you agree?"

"I did not imply that all amounts of items and all items will be moved by these two containers. I also did note that energy will be more suitable for movement through pipes rather than boxes like these. It's going to be most tedious to move thousands of these again and again, don't you agree?"

Very much agreed!

All ideas I have read here are interesting and I hope that moving cargo is not going to be too simple or too tedious. Devs need to make compromises left and right, I'm aware of that but simple teleportation from A to B would bee too easy as hauling everything by hand would be endless chore. Conveyors/pipes etc. with scriptable behavior might be really good way to handle it. I would love to see assault "leech" crafts attacking my mining ship if it means that they need to dock with me, make a hole and suck directly from really large containers inside the ship. I know it's probably not gonna happen but it would be great.

Hiring people to make a delivery run from point A to point B would be a nice option for newbies just starting to expand. It would give them an opportunity to make a fee while they move to the next area. Also, a mass driver could be an option in which only time would be a consideration, and possible logistics depending on how dynamic they make planetary orbits and star locations.

Hiring people to make a delivery run from point A to point B would be a nice option for newbies just starting to expand. It would give them an opportunity to make a fee while they move to the next area. Also, a mass driver could be an option in which only time would be a consideration, and possible logistics depending on how dynamic they make planetary orbits and star locations.

"It's called hauling and for large amounts or long distances, freight hauling. While I do support finding something for new people in Dual Universe to do, I wouldn't trust a new person to haul my precious cargo. How many people value their integrity in the real world, talk less of inside a game. For small amounts, where there's little to lose: sure, help them out and give them a job. But whether it's ships or food, I don't play nice with people that steal my goods."

"It's called hauling and for large amounts or long distances, freight hauling. While I do support finding something for new people in Dual Universe to do, I wouldn't trust a new person to haul my precious cargo. How many people value their integrity in the real world, talk less of inside a game. For small amounts, where there's little to lose: sure, help them out and give them a job. But whether it's ships or food, I don't play nice with people that steal my goods."

I trust people until the give me a reason not to. Then I hunt them down and take back my goods, my money, their ship, their clothes, and strand them on Ceti Alpha V.

"Well, that's all right for some people. But, good luck catching thieves. Even if you find them, you might not be able to take back what's yours. There's a reason why people join organisations and some protect their members more fiercely than others."

"Well, that's all right for some people. But, good luck catching thieves. Even if you find them, you might not be able to take back what's yours. There's a reason why people join organisations and some protect their members more fiercely than others."

I don't want or mean to de-rail the thread but .... I have always wondered why do you always post in quotes?  just curious

I don't want or mean to de-rail the thread but .... I have always wondered why do you always post in quotes?  just curious

I don't know, I always read his posts ina disembodied voice. Perhaps that was his point all along :o

I don't know, I always read his posts ina disembodied voice. Perhaps that was his point all along :o

"That's what I hoped to achieve. It seems I have done well."

Im mostly annoyed by that quote thing.

Its not more or less "real" than without.

Its only more annoying. Like a guy who always uses weird voices for some reason.

Punctuation was invented for a reason, and misusing it doesnt make your writing clearer.

So how will the inventory system work, in the brief trailer we see someone produce a cockpit and part of a ship hull from what i assume is their personal inventory so I'm guessing it's quite large in fact large enough to hold all the resources to build a fighter, done with the shake of his glowing hand (some sort of nano fabrication or something). How does this translate to ships, am i going to have to pipe/conveyor the minerals mined by the drill at the front of my ship back into a storage container or will the ship be one entity and the container fill by itself as long as it's part of the ship.

Considerations for the piping/conveyor system is that it would make ship design complicated but in a good way, interesting to do and something to think about carefully and optimise so you're not weighing your ship down with too much internal piping but also you then fall into having to have connectors on the ship to link to other ships/buildings/star bases that you wish to trade with.

If you go with the one entity approach there is less to think about and your ship designing doesn't require you to think about internal mechanics and functionality. With regards to trading you can simple shift resources from one cargo hold to the other without regard for how (probably short range tele) if they are close to each other. Then you have to consider the range that this transfer can occur at, can it be increased perhaps by scaling to ship size or perhaps some sort of power hungry module like molecular transporters and can you build ones so big you can buy and sell remotely to an entire planet or Solar system.

You could also go with the one entity approach and require direct contact between the two such as having to touch hulls or sit on a buildings/star bases landing pads.

Also what considerations are there for people who want to steal cargo, can you simple rock up and hack into it, perhaps you have to damage it to a certain threshold before you can loot it or even destroy it.

What are people thoughts and if any of these questions are part of other threads can you link them in please. 

Alain Damasio's back story PDF has a lot of details, sneaky Easter eggs and a nice hat tip to minecraft.

Gravitational compression, anti-gravity belt pouches holding tons of stuff (page 5).

"Honey I shrunk the kids!" comes to mind. In other words that glowing glove makes Aladdin's lamp look like a wimp. All the pipes, storage etc are the low energy, high stability alternatives.

And it looks like they are not alone out there. 

Could we see the Slower Than Light meets Faster Than Light welcoming committee scenario.

Why use STL If you have FTL ? Why use Cryogenics, with a lousy AI nurse, if you have Resurrection Node - quantum duplication?   

Was someone back on earth working on a plan B that bore fruit while our hero's slept? It's my favoured option. Even the ancients are from earth; people who took even greater risks by leaving early or late or not at all.

Not sleeping on the ship but waking, working, living and dying to ensure the survival of others.

Or Uploading themselves late and beaming themselves to smaller faster probes.

Perhaps staying doomed to develop FTL, etc, sending the data to their brothers Arkship hours before doomsday.

9854 years a sleep for our heroes is 9854 years of history for anyone else that did not choose that path. Fascinating. 

It is relatively simple code to create a locked freight container or haulage box and a cash on delivery with insurance contract. 

Alex puts goodies in a special box and creates a haulage contract automatically. Bill takes the box to destination and drops it off on a delivery stage; that may be a docking clamp, weighing machine, contents scanner. Bill gets paid.

As far as the server is concerned the haulage container is just a number on a generic box which if delivered loads a goods look up list to the receiving players inventory or storage. Nothing to steal except a generic haulage box that yields random loot if opened and lands you on a bounty hunters list. While thanks to insurance another box is generated and sent with the same little number describing Alex's box of goods. 

No tears PvP with full economic PvE. 

Im mostly annoyed by that quote thing.

Its not more or less "real" than without.

Its only more annoying. Like a guy who always uses weird voices for some reason.

Punctuation was invented for a reason, and misusing it doesnt make your writing clearer.

"

I appreciate constructive comments and feedback. It lets me know how to help everyone out. But, Cornflakes, dear friend, there's no harm done in putting my posts between two punctuation marks. It's quite obvious that I do know how to use punctuation marks appropriately. If you had any qualms about me using them, you could as well as told me on Discord. I will continue using quotes, however and I hope this ends here. We've almost derailed a thread.

"