Just a small question about player names

Halo381

I couldn't really find any other place to put this... anyways, the topic:

I've been noticing in The Arkship Pub, some corporations require you to put in a character name. Now, naturally, if you put in a character name and you were to get the game a little late, maybe someone takes your character name. So my question is, is there a way to cement that name in place, for you and only you? And, since there can be multiple characters, can you do this with more than one name?

At best you could hope to be early or hope that (late) beta chars don't get wiped completely. Then again if we're talking about a full name, first and last name or similar then chances are you should be fine. In theory. I don't think there will be any reservations before you are able to create chars in the game.

Then there's forum names. If someone sees your name on the forums, they'd have to be pretty crappy to steal said name. Of course it's possible someone might, however, so far, the people I've met on the forums don't seem like those kind of people.

If someone takes my name, Lord only knows what i will do.....

Hunt them down in game and make their life miserable so they get a name change?

• 1 month later...

Then there's forum names. If someone sees your name on the forums, they'd have to be pretty crappy to steal said name. Of course it's possible someone might, however, so far, the people I've met on the forums don't seem like those kind of people.

It is possible and does happen. Some dude has been registering my name on random games that he (or she?) never ever plays after the fact. So far I've found about a dozen or so games where I would try to register it, it's already been taken, and if I go to their account it's always "last used / last played / last seen" on the same day as it's been registered on. 

Ah if only arson was legal.... 

Do we know if it is going to be FirstName@LastName? Were we can have any FirstName we want as long as our LastName (or account name) is unique?

As far as I know, nothing like this has been openly discussed by Novaquark.

Guest Tekdout

Do we know if it is going to be FirstName@LastName? Were we can have any FirstName we want as long as our LastName (or account name) is unique?

I was wondering this as well. It is very early still of course.

Guest Tekdout

As far as I know, nothing like this has been openly discussed by Novaquark.

Have they said the min/max character name length will be?

I don't think any of the devs have yet commented on naming of character, I would definitely love if we can register our names during the alpha/beta round and still have the right to retain that name during the game launch with the option to change the name.

Oh yeah, that could be the pain. Somebody used my nickname in reddit and twitter. Seen my nickname in few games. But most funniest, when I created nickname, there was nothing ininternet.

But I don't think we need worry about this, game developers use site systems for ages. So your nickname on forum or communuty site will be account for the game. I'm nearly sure about that.

Thanks,

Archonious

Oh yeah, that could be the pain. Somebody used my nickname in reddit and twitter. Seen my nickname in few games. But most funniest, when I created nickname, there was nothing ininternet.

But I don't think we need worry about this, game developers use site systems for ages. So your nickname on forum or communuty site will be account for the game. I'm nearly sure about that.

Thanks,

Archonious

"Coupled with the fact that you're allowed to change your forum name, this stands as a splendid option. That said, I wouldn't dare anyone to steal my name, but if someone is feeling so foolhardy as to do so...I look forward to meeting that person in the game. Let me assure you, that thief will long remember that unpleasant first encounter and many others that will follow."

"Coupled with the fact that you're allowed to change your forum name, this stands as a splendid option. That said, I wouldn't dare anyone to steal my name, but if someone is feeling so foolhardy as to do so...I look forward to meeting that person in the game. Let me assure you, that thief will long remember that unpleasant first encounter and many others that will follow."

I chose CaptainTwerkmotor and I own that decision. I'm going with the flow like a badass :P

In-game, I'll probably choose a name like "Nott A. Budgai". 

• 4 weeks later...

Based on the Kickstarter stretch goals All players who have an Arkship ID card of any level will be able to reserve their character name for the release, if the goal of 6000 backers is reached everyone who has Iron Supporter pack or better will gain an additional name reservation.

Iron Supporters would have one.

Anyone with an Arkship ID card would have two.