Consturct customization: "Paint jobs"

shadowrod

Hello! So I literally just found out about this ambitious yet amazing project that is Dual Universe And one thing that truly has me stoked about this are the immense creative possibilities that will come from this!

So, back to the suggestion: I was reading into the ship customization on the dev blog, but i don't think I read anything about players being able to import their own custom textures into the game to decorate their constructs with.

As a professional Illustrator / graphic designer, I would love to give my ship its own custom paint job! :D

Suggestion: Let players create and import textures (png. jpg or gifs (if someone wants an animated sign / banner for a building!) to customize our constructs with to the next level!

I'm pretty sure every organization / state / syndicate / corporation will also want their custom symbols proudly displayed on their warships.

Welcome to the community shadowrod.
I haven't seen anything about it ether, but I assume a game that has building and design as it's core mechanic would not leave out such an amazing feature.  I feel like logos/flags/symbols would be introduced as a sticker that can take custom textures, but a complete recolor of a ship hull to it fit it's owner's/organization's color scheme would be what a full re-texture is used for.   But I don't know much about graphic design, so there probably a better way of implementing it.  :P 

Welcome to the forums!

I think animated signs and banners would be awesome to up in cities and space stations.

It would be really cool if there was way to display an advertisments for a product on the markets like a ship just through in-game customization. That would give a little more consistency in terms of the quality of advertisments/displays.

As for paint jobs, I think you will be able to paint each of the individual voxels on the hull. And I think that a single voxel can be as small as 25cm cubed. If that is the case, you could actually make some pretty detailed paint jobs on ships by simply painting voxels. 

Custom textures would certainly take things to the next level though!

Unfortunately, I'm writing this from my mobile and can't figure out how to include a link, but this question has actually been asked and answered by the devs. The official line is that custom imported textures (for painting) will not be in the game, and players will have to stick with the default options. Custom colors, however, are a work in progress. They did say that smaller decals like logos, emblems and flags might be possible, though!

Exactly like this3ndup said. They also said that there will be a good amount of texture to choose from, directly in the game. And the reason to not allow imported images, is because they'd need to check them and because some texture could not be in line with the game graphics, and it could ruin immersion. 

• 4 years later...

NQ is not gonna let us have that due to the fact that they eventually wanna cash out on the player with things like this, unfortunately this will be a limitation to the sandbox creative part as greed for money will outweigh the chance personalization or rather will be an extra income source if anything on top of the regular sub. but i definitely would have loved to see such a system