Use things built in the beta/alpha and turn it into "Ancient relics"

Semproser

My suggestion is, that when the open alpha comes out, after people have spent a while frantically running around, building ships, cities, houses, mining stations etc. when the game is actually released, convert all of these creations into "discarded ruins from a long forgotten race" by changing all of the blocks used. Like all metal becomes corroded metal, all turrets become broken turrets or removed, power cores become depleted power cores that are useless (if there are such things) and giant space ships become 40k-esque space hulks... dead, broken and discarded. Cities built during the time become abandoned wilds, buildings above a certain height have their top halves removed, random holes in them everywhere, environmental recapture so vines everywhere, bushes and trees breaking through blocks in the roofs and flooring. 

These things could be made to either make them a valuable resource, or have no value at all depending on what the devs want. 

I would be fine with all of this being purely decorative, part of an integrated sub-lore, but something that cant just be rebuilt in the game as they would be exclusive (yet useless) blocks. Something to preserve, as part of this world's legacy. Hell the resources might even have value simply because of their rarity, after all "party hats" were one of the more expensive things in Runescape at one point - not because they are good or useful, just because they are rare. 

If you don't like the idea of all this coming from the alpha, I'm sure there's room for this kind of thing anyway that's put in the game by creative teams you might employ. I just think this sort of thing just gives a small bit of...atmosphere to a game that needs it. 

Anyone agree?

I like this idea, adding randomly placed abandoned structures/crashed ships adds a lot to exploration and crowd sourcing designs from the alpha is a great way to go about it.

I agree, but also have you consider this: How resource-consuming would such an action be and would it be worth a possible delay for release of other content?

I think coming up with designs for structures is the intensive bit, writing code to place it in world would be fairly simple compared to that. Its not something that needs to be done straight away it could even be done post release when they open up new worlds and star systems

My suggestion is, that when the open alpha comes out, after people have spent a while frantically running around, building ships, cities, houses, mining stations etc. when the game is actually released, convert all of these creations into "discarded ruins from a long forgotten race" by changing all of the blocks used. Like all metal becomes corroded metal, all turrets become broken turrets or removed, power cores become depleted power cores that are useless (if there are such things) and giant space ships become 40k-esque space hulks... dead, broken and discarded. Cities built during the time become abandoned wilds, buildings above a certain height have their top halves removed, random holes in them everywhere, environmental recapture so vines everywhere, bushes and trees breaking through blocks in the roofs and flooring. 

These things could be made to either make them a valuable resource, or have no value at all depending on what the devs want. 

I would be fine with all of this being purely decorative, part of an integrated sub-lore, but something that cant just be rebuilt in the game as they would be exclusive (yet useless) blocks. Something to preserve, as part of this world's legacy. Hell the resources might even have value simply because of their rarity, after all "party hats" were one of the more expensive things in Runescape at one point - not because they are good or useful, just because they are rare. 

If you don't like the idea of all this coming from the alpha, I'm sure there's room for this kind of thing anyway that's put in the game by creative teams you might employ. I just think this sort of thing just gives a small bit of...atmosphere to a game that needs it. 

Anyone agree?

i guess in alpha they will only test mechanics and stuff like that. But its a cool idea

Not only use those creations as relics, but also maybe as working buildings/ships? Let's use (Everquest) Landmark's idea of development with community and create tournaments for builders to design and build diffirent type of buildings and ships, so that Devs wouldn't be able to do everything. Voxel gives freedom, why not to use it? :) 
Besides it makes backers occupied and able to really participate in the process of creating their dream game...

what should happen, is that weapons fire doesn't make particles disappear, they make particles compact into a new material: scrap.

This scrap would then combine the materials inside and could be retrieved to get back the original material quantity.

The more compact a scrap voxel is, the harder and longer it will take to be refined.

This would allow for battles to leave nearly 100 % of their original material, but in an unusable form, and with a wreckage shape similar to the one of the ship. assuming only the planet gen would be reset (refill the ores and regenerate the non artificial undergrounds, compacting all artificial constructs into scrap ruins) this would leave a nice amount of wreckage and scrap to work with.

Scrap would need some amount of resources to refine, since you need to separate all the metals. base metals could be combines into alloys, and any failed alloy would be scrap with the composition used to make it. To separate the metals a chemical process would need to be used, like in reality.

This would require a chemical synthesis mechanic, and an advanced metallurgy mechanic, that would give you an advanced degree of freedom to work with alloys and their recycling. for containers, a good idea would be to require certain alloys that to not react with the contained compound to build and use a container for some materials. for instance a plutonium container made out of neutron reflecting materials would trigger a nuclear blast. (i am pro nuclear weapons as we wand absolute freedom even if it means having massive craters in the ground of planets and even then it could be awesome to see a crater from space :D )

what should happen, is that weapons fire doesn't make particles disappear, they make particles compact into a new material: scrap.

This scrap would then combine the materials inside and could be retrieved to get back the original material quantity.

The more compact a scrap voxel is, the harder and longer it will take to be refined.

This would allow for battles to leave nearly 100 % of their original material, but in an unusable form, and with a wreckage shape similar to the one of the ship. assuming only the planet gen would be reset (refill the ores and regenerate the non artificial undergrounds, compacting all artificial constructs into scrap ruins) this would leave a nice amount of wreckage and scrap to work with.

Scrap would need some amount of resources to refine, since you need to separate all the metals. base metals could be combines into alloys, and any failed alloy would be scrap with the composition used to make it. To separate the metals a chemical process would need to be used, like in reality.

This would require a chemical synthesis mechanic, and an advanced metallurgy mechanic, that would give you an advanced degree of freedom to work with alloys and their recycling. for containers, a good idea would be to require certain alloys that to not react with the contained compound to build and use a container for some materials. for instance a plutonium container made out of neutron reflecting materials would trigger a nuclear blast. (i am pro nuclear weapons as we wand absolute freedom even if it means having massive craters in the ground of planets and even then it could be awesome to see a crater from space :D

Offtopic but cool.

While the feeling and the theoretical side of this is appealing, I think in reality it wouldn't work well.  People in Alpha should be focused on smooth gameplay finding bugs, not what cool thing should I build so it is an ancient relic in game release. 

why not get the best of both worlds?

While the feeling and the theoretical side of this is appealing, I think in reality it wouldn't work well.  People in Alpha should be focused on smooth gameplay finding bugs, not what cool thing should I build so it is an ancient relic in game release. 

I disagree, having a bunch of cool stuff created by the alpha team is going to be important for marketing the game to a wider audience.

Because you wouldn't get the best of either

that is not the case, if the game mechanics are well done, you will have to use everything at a certain point in time (as a group of players), thus build a base together, thus testing out the whole lot of features, and leaving behind a ruin as a testimony of your help. 

I disagree, having a bunch of cool stuff created by the alpha team is going to be important for marketing the game to a wider audience.

how useless decorative wrecks, built by players in alpha stage will be attractive for new players, compared to real contents that they could make instead wasting time on this idea?

That could help, but not necessary.  It may be more effective after launch and the player created gameplay being roles or objects sort of iron out showing what the game is really about.  We can't show that until we create it. 

Playing Eve however this was the best marketing tool I think ... it stirs the emotion, and emotion is what motivates people.  I agree with what you are saying and the effectiveness of what you are saying just not the timing.

that is not the case, if the game mechanics are well done, you will have to use everything at a certain point in time (as a group of players), thus build a base together, thus testing out the whole lot of features, and leaving behind a ruin as a testimony of your help. 

Well that's exactly what Alpha is suppose to find out.  If you focus on one thing, building a cool relic, you ignore the other aspects of the mechanics and gameplay.

They talked about finding blueprints and such. I love to have maybe some the top selling blueprints from alpha/beta that are submitted maybe a special box they can check that can be used once the game goes live as rare drops and such.

Seconded, it would be very neat to see really popular structures and ships to appear in the full release as leftovers. Not at a 1-1 ratio, but as a neat procedurally generated treat

Following the lore - there was no human on this starting planet.

Then this could give extra advantage to alpha team members. They can easily create hiden treasures.

Overall idea is nice, but not that simple to say "Yes"

Thanks,

Archonious

Then this could give extra advantage to alpha team members. They can easily create hiden treasures.

I agree. What will set this game aside from other similar games is that it will start as a totally blank slate. A cool as it would be to have some monuments to the alpha/beta stages,  it makes more sense with the lore and the nature of the game.

I did see somewhere that someone suggested preserving some player made structures immediately around the ark ship. If anything should be preserved, it should be something small like that.

Overall idea is nice, but not that simple to say "Yes"

Thanks,

Archonious

Bro I wrote a whole section about how the builds would be converted to be useless and purely decorative.