In Space Ungrades

CosmicDragon

For those builders who are looking forward to flying their ships, how do you hope that applying updates to a model will be implemented.  I think the devs might restrict building to designated zones personally.  But in capital ship having parked it in a stable orbit, or even in a spot in space, I would like to see my self remodeling part of the hull, or adding new researched features to my design with out having to fly, all the back from the edge of know space to do so.  In smaller ships it becomes a problem of a space walk not getting the control one needs to have when building.  Now I did see the short video were they demonstrated the voxel building tech, and that was a drift in space, but I could see that being done just as a demonstration and the feature being changed in the alpha release.  Maybe you think its a no brainier that it will be like it was in that video, reference any dev blogs if you remember them discussing this, I still haven't made it though all of them yet.  

I think you'll be able to add things to your ship anywhere, so long as you have the materials. IIRC it was mentioned in the Multiplayer Crew post that people could be running around the ship repairing things during battle as well. 

Here's the builder gameplay Dev Blog if you haven't read it yet:

https://devblog.dualthegame.com/2016/02/20/builder-gameplay-voxel-tools-elements/

Ships are going to be made out of blocks, even in the "survival world" and you'll be able to modify them whenever you want. There's no reason to limit building in certain zones. 

Actually their would be huge advantages to limit building to certain zones, performance-wise, since a lot of the code going over your structs and working the construction tools wouldn't have to be constantly running.

(I am pretty sure that you will be able to build anywhere as seen in the trailer, which is altogether fantastic - there's a lot of gameplay benefits for having it this way and it's part of the appeal of the game, but you said no reason, and I don't have enough will power to leave that alone).

Boys, I hope you understand how mass works and how you can't move a ship if your engines can't support its mass. Just sayin'. The limit of when a ship is counting as a space station, will be down to if the construct can even move due to mass.

So yeah, it's like Dark Souls. You either fat-roll or you fast-roll. And by the looks of how many people fail to grasp the idea of mass and stuff, fat-rollers will be the majority. >_>

I mean, metagame, right?

I wonder what the specs will be on the largest engine type, if they are individual components and not build able, then if they are build able I would love to see the reactor plus engine combo that can cannot propel its own mass. :) 

Actually their would be huge advantages to limit building to certain zones, performance-wise, since a lot of the code going over your structs and working the construction tools wouldn't have to be constantly running.

(I am pretty sure that you will be able to build anywhere as seen in the trailer, which is altogether fantastic - there's a lot of gameplay benefits for having it this way and it's part of the appeal of the game, but you said no reason, and I don't have enough will power to leave that alone).

Ofc limiting that could reduce server load. But not by a significant amount to justify this (that's why i said "no reason", probably shoul've said "not a good enough reason"), since it kills a lot of the gameplay. Other than that, i think this is already mentioned in the devblogs, that you'll be able to build anywhere.

Servers are going to be able to support fights with thousands of players, a guy building a ship somewhere it's not a big deal

@Shynras

Blocking building in certain zones would not decrease server load. The voxels are always there, by building, you simply change their colors. So no, reducing building capacity is not going to alter server-performance. That's the Devs whole ace up their sleeve, their compartmentalisation of the server and how the main server subdivides areas to reduce the load of updating information with all other players not present in one area. It's genious as an idea tbh.

Eh, the voxels arent not always there.

Nobody of right mind fills empty space with explicit data.

So you dont "simply change their color"

But that doesnt change with or without delineated building zones.

Unless voxel based destruction does /not/ make it into the game, then it would be (easier) possible to convert ships to fixed meshes out of building zones.

But then, there are voxel planets to keep track of, and i suspect they'll already be an irreducible voxel load and ships wont be /that/ much worse

@Cornflakes

The point is that there's no need to block areas from being built on. They said something about 70% of the game being free to build on. Let's assume that is 70% of a planet that can be built on. That's more than enough imho.

Eh, the voxels arent not always there.

Nobody of right mind fills empty space with explicit data.

So you dont "simply change their color"

But that doesnt change with or without delineated building zones.

Unless voxel based destruction does /not/ make it into the game, then it would be (easier) possible to convert ships to fixed meshes out of building zones.

But then, there are voxel planets to keep track of, and i suspect they'll already be an irreducible voxel load and ships wont be /that/ much worse

They've already said that voxel planets will basically just remember the editing, and there are also quite probably a lot less factors dependent on the location of a voxel. For structs there is every other calculation and voxel-check. Total mass (almost certainly), center of mass (probably), center of thrust, energy, damage, any level of co-dependency and communication, really any attribute you can apply to a block that can influence or be influenced by any other block.... There's a lot of data that instead of simply getting stored in a database ends up recalculated again and again in case the struct changes in the worst case scenario, or some hefty onStructChange event listeners that would almost be doing the same thing calculation wise.

They said something about 70% of the game being free to build on. Let's assume that is 70% of a planet that can be built on. That's more than enough imho.

Planets that can be built on (Structures connected to the planet) and environments that you can build within, not quite the same topic.

My opinion is that you will be able to "build" anywhere.  Now the question will be--in a sandbox universe--will you want to?  It will be like changing a tire on the driver side of the car on the shoulder of the freeway--doable but not normally a good time.  Given that in that type of situation you will be vulnerable to anyone coming by who may wish to....ummmm....acquire your vehicle, I think that there will be a market for spacedocks, open stations, co-op docks, etc...that provide some level of security (and access to materials, technology, assistance).  Of course that will then create some little "gem" of a place that a group may want to raid, take over, lay to waste for giggles, you name it, if not defended.

I think that the ability to modify something will end up not being limited by world/server mechanics, but by how social interactions start coming about in DU.  Tons of pirates, or organized groups that do play well in the ether together--guarded outposts/stongholds.  A general "I'm okay-Your okay" commune attitude--build anywhere.   We will probably end up being somewhere in the middle with someplaces being more dangerous than others.