Magrathean Society (Planet Building)

CosmicDragon

To step it up a bit, the no build limits has me thinking of planet building.  Now I know that the way that the Magrathean's did it was pulling matter though white holes, and I have seen nothing so far on spacial anomalies, (and for this to be a thing you will probably need the ability to create them) so this is way out there.  But limitless should mean limitless, although it depends on how the core and internals of the planet are going to be handled, and the way the movie depicts it at least it is a bit ridiculous (I don't remember how it was described in the book).     But the logistics and raw scale of the ships involved is fun to think about.  Of course it doesn't have to be an industry, it could like a throne of sorts for a mighty ruler of an alliance of organizations.  Just a very out in the almost complete emptiness of space idea. 

I should also point out, Magrathean's are from the book Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, and they build planets.

I have a question...

Wot :huh:

I was thinking you meant will there be building physics (sway, wind, corrosion).

Those would only apply if you are building things inside of an atmosphere, or in some gravity well.  Personally I see most of my construction happening in a space dock, or massive engineering capital ship.

I don't like the idea. Planets should be a limited resource, as any material in a certain way.

1)This would reduce exploration and colonization needs.

2)This would keep the center of the playerbase stable, while the needs for more resources and land, would force them to move: 

-Imagine there's a huge HUB where everyone trades, and do various stuff. One day a war happens, that HUB gets destroyed, and someone will build another one closer to new and resourceful planets, and the playerbase will partially move. 

-Or maybe, the main HUB will be shut down by their own owners, since the lack of trades in that area (since planets there could be out of resources) made it unconvenient, while players moved by their own to a zone with new and resourceful planets, and a new HUB is born spontaneously for economics needs

3)Every planet should be a precious asset, the territorial unit shouldn't reflect the land price by its own, but the land itself. Creating a planet would mean that you create value from nowhere.

4)Players would be picky. Take what nature offers, don't just create your ideal planet. In front of you there is a planet with pros and cons, embrace both of them.  

@Shynras , I hadn't thought of it like that, I couldn't imagine the chaos of Jita 4-4, being moved even to somewhere to the same system.

@Shynras

And make destroyed ships salvageable. That would allow for recycling of materials.

That would be cool, I'm pretty sure is going to happen, but still floating wrecks could create an insane load on the servers, so they'll need to find a way to optimize this. The wreck could be something not made out of blocks, but that wouldn't be ideal right? I'm sure there a better way, like making them disappear after an amount of time based on the size of the construct. 

@Shynras , I hadn't thought of it like that, I couldn't imagine the chaos of Jita 4-4, being moved even to somewhere to the same system.

They said already that resources on planets are going to be limited, so I do expect a "moving JIta". The game would be more dynamic and fun right? :D

@Shynras

The wrecks are blocks that existed on the server before, they only moved places in the grid. They won't be making a load on the server, as when you are not in their render distance, they don't count. The same goes for all the planets. They are not in YOUR sub-division of the server, so they don't affect you.

I also agree that building planets is too much. There has to be some limit, we are people in a new galaxy or new world, we aren't Gods, so planet building should still be fa ntasy and not possible for us, especially starting out again after a huge move. Planet building, if possible at all would take millions of years, thousand with an entire civilization working on it.Just think about Terraforming, only on a bigger scale, since nothing is there to start with.

They said already that resources on planets are going to be limited, so I do expect a "moving JIta". The game would be more dynamic and fun right? :D

Jita even if there wouldn't be any resources in the systestill would be like that just becose it's strategically located and it would exist anyway - imagine all SG starting in Alioth (and it will be like that becose everybody is starting there and players will make many SG at the same time there :D ) and then imagine that even if you passed that SG to go to another systemyou still need to go to Alioth>Systemso whatever you do it's a natural trade hub B) (read Pandora's Star Commonwealth and you will see what i ean :D)

@Shynras

The wrecks are blocks that existed on the server before, they only moved places in the grid. They won't be making a load on the server, as when you are not in their render distance, they don't count. The same goes for all the planets. They are not in YOUR sub-division of the server, so they don't affect you.

All the blocks that never moved, are procedurally generated, they are just the result of an algorytm. All the blocks modified (destroyed, created or modified) need to be saved on the server, because they're not part of the algorythm, but just a variation. A wreck, is what remains of a ship, after it gets destroyed, so it would be a "mobile entity" that is even more expensive to save on the server, since it has more variables, like speed (imagine a wreck that would keep his momentum).

With this in mind, a wreck could be made by a multitude of parts, maybe hundreds of pieces of the ship hull, floating around in space. And imagine the scenario after a large battle. That would make load on the server, indeed. Wrecks always get cleaned, even in common mmorpg, the loot you get from the mobs disappear after a while. Even in EVEOnline, wrecks don't last forever.