How far can you go as a Solo Player

I got that. But why actively discouraged people from trying another approach?

Now, I wouldn't say to actively discourage people from trying is a good thing. However, I don't think things like making travel difficult should be categorized as actively discouraging solo play. Things like that are supposed to be grand milestones that we achieve, and, as the technology in dual grows, travel becomes easier. Building, mining, etc. becomes easier. But in the first weeks and months of the game, I expect we'll be seeing a very team-oriented universe. Perhaps that will drive off too many people, but personally, I believe that's the way to go. 

They say Rome was built in a day. But it wasn't built by one person. Perhaps a hundred thousand years in the future, it could be, but not at the beginning. 

sounds interesting here. BUT...I've been playing games and MMO's for 20 years. I've been in Societies, Gilds, and Unions on many different games. But remember, we all start out as solo players. Some stay that way for a few hours, some for days and weeks. Its their choice. I see people saying that solo player and ...by hinting seriously ...people in general...cant do what groups can do. Who made and invented Microsoft? Some big research team at a major corp? Nope, some of the richest people on the planet are solo people, people that went it alone and made it big. Its not any more impossible for a player to build a custom cruiser that everyone wants alone rather than sponging off friends to get it done then selling it himself. If I see new player enter a game and 2 minutes later start asking...begging...to join a group I feel sorry for them, they admit openly they are worthless alone, how sad for them.

In an open world game people can do what they want, and should. I believe in helping others, I have many times, but when I joined groups one person stood by saying 'go here , do this, do that' and did little or nothing themselves. I will help others, but demand from me and you'll be fighting alone. Period. If you need a big group great, I'll watch and see what you accomplish as a group, and if its truly grand I'll applaud you all, or whoever takes credit for it all at least. But dont think for a second a single person cant do well, as Elon Musk or the many like him, I dont see him taking a back seat to some group he 'needed' to win, and we shouldn't think people here should need one either.

sounds interesting here. BUT...I've been playing games and MMO's for 20 years. I've been in Societies, Gilds, and Unions on many different games. But remember, we all start out as solo players. Some stay that way for a few hours, some for days and weeks. Its their choice. I see people saying that solo player and ...by hinting seriously ...people in general...cant do what groups can do. Who made and invented Microsoft? Some big research team at a major corp? Nope, some of the richest people on the planet are solo people, people that went it alone and made it big. Its not any more impossible for a player to build a custom cruiser that everyone wants alone rather than sponging off friends to get it done then selling it himself. If I see new player enter a game and 2 minutes later start asking...begging...to join a group I feel sorry for them, they admit openly they are worthless alone, how sad for them.

In an open world game people can do what they want, and should. I believe in helping others, I have many times, but when I joined groups one person stood by saying 'go here , do this, do that' and did little or nothing themselves. I will help others, but demand from me and you'll be fighting alone. Period. If you need a big group great, I'll watch and see what you accomplish as a group, and if its truly grand I'll applaud you all, or whoever takes credit for it all at least. But dont think for a second a single person cant do well, as Elon Musk or the many like him, I dont see him taking a back seat to some group he 'needed' to win, and we shouldn't think people here should need one either.

Sure you can be a solo player, but you can't expect to be a swiss army knife. You won't be able to make a giant battleship on your own for more reasons than one.

Ah, but "need" is an objective term. You certainly don't need a group of people helping to be successful. What we're getting at here is the resource draw and the simple time it takes to do certain things would make it more efficient to work in a group. Sure, you can build a stargate by yourself. But it could take months to gather the resources on your own. If you want to go at it alone, fine by me, but an organization could probably get the job done in a few weeks, compared to your months. 

I believe I said it in a previous comment, but it's not like you have to join a massive corporation or anything. Heck, having two other people with you would exponentially increase your profits. For all intents and purposes, you're practically still solo gaming, just with a couple other soloists with mutual interests.

• 3 weeks later...

Sure you can be a solo player, but you can't expect to be a swiss army knife. You won't be able to make a giant battleship on your own for more reasons than one.

Well I have spent a year solo-building Taj-Mahal in survival (vanilla) MC. It took months just to dig that 15 000 000 blocks to make a hole for it and many more to perfect my build. I wouldn't say that great tasks in sandbox games are impossible. It just takes time and dedication. :D On the other hand those slow tasks are something that helps me rest after work. I hope You are wrong in this case. I don't mind spending year or so of my late evenings to build a nice ship just by myself but I'm usually just too tired to play well with others.

Well I have spent a year solo-building Taj-Mahal in survival (vanilla) MC. It took months just to dig that 15 000 000 blocks to make a hole for it and many more to perfect my build. I wouldn't say that great tasks in sandbox games are impossible. It just takes time and dedication. :D On the other hand those slow tasks are something that helps me rest after work. I hope You are wrong in this case. I don't mind spending year or so of my late evenings to build a nice ship just by myself but I'm usually just too tired to play well with others.

Well, having friends who did similar masochistic stuff in MC, I can understand your arguement :P But the thing is, due to DUAL being an MMORPG, different classes, need to contribute different end-game things.

A full engineer can offer something other, than a half engineer half medic, or a half engineer, half soldler, when it comes to gameplay aspects. And this is the core reason why MC and DUAL differ, as Dual is only MMO, it can't be done as a solo experience entirely. Sure, you could build a basic ship, you could be our Lord and Savior, Jango Fett reborn and make a fortune griefing griefers as a bounty hunter, but you wouldn't still be able to make a ship of your own without buying Elemens (engines, trhusters, cockpits) from other players, which is also the main drive of the game, the economy. But that is for the spaceships only.

As for the ground buildings though, I do expect for us to talk in private. I'm interested in a Taj Mahal, BUT, with an underground dungeon and bunker as well.

I like to be in a good guild. But I am quite picky and not likely to join an organization on day 1 of playing a new game. And I left organizations in MMOs when their policies deviated to something I no longer wanted to be associated with.

Thankfully us here at ACS are not like most organizations - we believe in organized free will. 

I got that. But why actively discouraged people from trying another approach?

"I doubt that's what we're trying to do. Many of us have been part of more MMOs than two or three. Experience taught a majority that going solo just doesn't do it in the long run. Well, if you're long run means casual play--once in a while evening gaming session, solo is usually the best. However, for people who seek dedication to something in an MMO, solo is world's away, especially if you are thinking in the long term perspective. We just don't want people griping for solo play in an MMO and coming back to spit trash and crap in the community and blaming the developers for "unfair" gameplay mechanics. Someone posted in the previous page that many guilds, alliances and whatnot started solo. I agree. A lot of us here to started solo and while I respect the courage to think that you can sink months (or years) in an MMO going nothing but solo, all in all... you have balls of steel, sir."

Well a game like Eve the universe is finite.  So you can solo but holding a region in null is not happening.  This universe is not finite really, being procedurally  generated.  It is an MMO and the devs want it to be an mMo but the construction of the universe allows solo players to go further probably then any other MMO ... as far as having a lot without being found. 

If you wanted to you could go out far with just probes for a while so there isn't a stargate network others could use to find your trail. If you really wanted to go solo you could from what I know of the game so far. 

You would be missing out on tons of player content though but just depends on the person of course and what they want to do.  I don't understand why people get so worked up about someone playing an MMO but like to play solo.  To each their own.  LEAVE SOLO PLAYERS ALONE!

dbb8chris-crocker-leave-britney-alone.pn