Limits on editing the environment

Muttley

I have three questions. The first is a general question about the limitation of mining.  The second is a question about the persistence of player changes to the environment. And the third is a question about limits on mining around important or permanent constructs such as the Arkship.

Question one: is there any indication how far into a planet one can mine?

Question two: do changes tot eh environment have a time limit? By this, I mean will the environment return to its initial state over time? 

Question three (It sort of ties into the above question): what is the nature of the limits on mining (or any changes to the environment) around vital constructs like the Arkship?

If you've ever been to a music festival you will know that it's never good when 1000's of people hang out around the same area for a few days. It's not long before the place is trashed. How much worse would it be if they can destroy/ create with a click of a mouse button? I have an image of the area around the Arkship being a mess of potholes, near bottomless fissures, walls, and penises shaped structures that reach far into the sky. None of that is appealing to me least not because it would make movement very difficult to move around on foot. My assumption here is that NQ must have something in mind to keep important areas clean.

Hey there,

Yes, there is a hard limit, it's around 2KMs from memory.

We are unsure at this stage whether the ground regenerates or not - unless I've missed something (someone will surely answer this better than me, i've been on a slight hiatus again, so.)

As for the natural limits, apart from the 2KM limit downwards, I believe the safe zone around the Is mineable, but will have limited resources (low tier), compared to the outside.

This is based on my memory when I'm tired.
Someone, as I said will probably correct me.

Like Anasasi said

You will not be able to dig to the planet's core, it will be limited to about 2km, give or take. (I'm not sure on the exact number)

I'm pretty sure there are no plans for having regenerating land. While I agree that things might get messy, I'm sure the devs will think of a way to handle it.

Players will spawn inside a safe zone that exists in the form of a 'Protection Bubble'. This bubble is generated by the Arcship. (The place we spawn from.) Inside the safe zone will be only basic materials. In order to advance your research, you'll need to venture outside of the safe zone in order to gather rare and more advanced materials that cannot be found inside the safe zone. (In short, the area in the safe zone is minable, but not very beneficial.)

Where the heck did you get that 2km info, the point of DUs technology is that there is no limit on voxel stuff.

All I remember is that there will be a "limit" set by environmental conditions (heat oxygen etc.) so in theory with the right tech you can hollow out a whole planet.

And no, resources are finite the world won't regenerate -> This makes mining sites very valuable. 

Where the heck did you get that 2km info, the point of DUs technology is that there is no limit on voxel stuff.

All I remember is that there will be a "limit" set by environmental conditions (heat oxygen etc.) so in theory with the right tech you can hollow out a whole planet.

And no, resources are finite the world won't regenerate -> This makes mining sites very valuable. 

Its been stated in several interviews(i think he mentions it in the graystillplays video). The choice to do this is based on balance and developer choice. I believe there is no technological limit to 2km.

There's alimit in mining, while is true that you'll not be able to go deeper because of heat/oxygen reasons, they'll not give you the technology to do so. It's just a way to roleplay it xD

Voxels don't regenerate. A great amount of people wants to build stuff underground, that wouldn't work. You will see messy stuff rarely, the world is huge.

They have some ideas to handle the mess in the starting area. We don't know how yet

Thanks for the answers folks. I just had a quick look at the Kickstarter page and just a few minutes ago NQ answered many of the same questions that I was asking.

Many of the following answers are subject to changes as the game development evolves. Keep in mind all this is just "Work in Progress". 
- When your character die, you'll lose what your character was wearing/carrying on him. 
- When you build a house or ship outside of a safezone, yes, someone will be able to destroy it. However, when you build for example an outpost outside a safe zone, you will have protection measures when you're offline: when attacked your outpost will be able to enter in a temporary invulnerability mode (for 24 or 48h), to give you the time of reacting and calling your friends to help defend your base. 
- Yes, you will be able to build inside the safe zone. 
- No, no one else will be able to destroy your ship when you are in a safe zone. 
- how to avoid the safe zone getting littered by left over stuff from other players: we have currently several ideas, but until we've made a clear choice between them, we won't enter into details. Note: There won't be only one safe zone. It will be possible to discover other places on other planets where it will be possible to activate a Safe Zone. But we can't tell you more than that at the moment. 
- What happens when you dig a hole: at the moment, yes it stays forever, unless another player comes and modify the landscape or fill the hole with some materials.

The key thing to remember, is that while people will be mining all over the place and making huge messes, each planet is very very big.  A standard 200km planet has a circumference of 630km (~400 miles), which is a ridiculous amount of space for a game, let alone a single game location.  NQ has stated previously that if we tried to, it would take thousands of players decades to mine out an entire planet.

1. The planets are rather huge 

2. There will be lots of planets

So, even if some parts become messed up, in theory the Community can just move. Like in reality, when a territory becomes uninhabitable, the population moves.