CosmicDragon

is mostly a more efficient way to make power from (very) hot stuff instead of using a turbine

or in addition to a turbine.

they still need a source of heat as for example a fusion or fission reactor.

thats just a variation of fusion :V

is mostly a more efficient way to make power from (very) hot stuff instead of using a turbine

or in addition to a turbine.

they still need a source of heat as for example a fusion or fission reactor.

thats just a variation of fusion :V

Wait, I thought X-rays were produced on fission only :V Was it a typo or was I right to drop off Physics school? :P

Wait, I thought X-rays were produced on fission only :V Was it a typo or was I right to drop off Physics school? :P

no, the link leads just to a form of fusion reactor :P

you can also make xrays without any nuclear fission or fusion

• 2 weeks later...

Well, my Idea would be the following, that enery (or fuel) needs to be harvested and used, or stored and then used.

What do I mean? Let's take Antimatter as an example.

You need lots of power and an particle acelerator (or High power Lasers,..) to create that. But you would power that by solar, for Instance.

In the Spacecraft you would use an Antimatter reactor to generator Power.

So, via solar power you harvest energy, and convert it into antimatter to store it. In the spaceship you use it then for stuff.

The Idea behind this is, that ships usually are so small, that the can't harvest the energy resources by themselves, thus they need fuel of sort, and refuel somewhere.

While really big motherships could hold fission reactors and (re-)processing plants to utilize easily acquirable fission fuel, and utilize the fuels to their maximum extend until just worthless waste is left.

Or you have an ground base Uranium mining operation, and processing plant. Ships could get the std. Uranium for fuel, and sell their uranium waste. With the ground based reprocessing plant you would then reprocess the waste to sell the remains as nuclear fuel, again. Just because the reactor itself is light enough for the ship, but not the processing part.

Thus my Ideas:

Harvesting:

-Solar

-Chemical fuel gathering

-Fission/fusion fuels gathering

Storing:

-Batterys

-Hydrogen/O2(for fuel cells)

-fusion/fission fuels

-Antimatter

Usage:

-Fuel cells

-Batterys

-Fission Reactors

-Fusion Reactors

-Antimatter Reactors

-Hybrids of these above

And finally, due to the immense energy requirements of space propulsion, even antimatter powered ships would need to refuel on antimatter from time to time.

Why not just have solar panels and solar dishes like these...

http://www.ens-newswire.com/ens/oct2010/20101020_tesseradishes.jpg

Or a massive solar farm like this one I saw in California

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRgqLFeoEaStY7PrLh99-45JoLnH1o7tn0a9AdanXVxvWqKU4Mu