Ringworlds?

SilverRangerOne

After seeing this video (Link here) building a ringworld is now greatly simplified.  I will now make the inner core of the ringworld out of dirt!  :D

But in all seriousness, If there is no upper limit on far things can stay attached structurally making a ring world in layers starting with simple substances will make the needed construction expertise almost trivial.

Do not worry good sir, we got duct tape to keep structures together. Also, not wanting to sound like an elitist mathematical jerk, but if you measure the distance from the star by calculating pixels and so on and so forth, you will find that the perimeter of the area around the star that the Dyson Sphere would have to be built, equals to  [(Bored)/(Why?)]E+(Nope).

Do not worry good sir, we got duct tape to keep structures together. Also, not wanting to sound like an elitist mathematical jerk, but if you measure the distance from the star by calculating pixels and so on and so forth, you will find that the perimeter of the area around the star that the Dyson Sphere would have to be built, equals to  [(Bored)/(Why?)]E+(Nope).

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED

It is plausible. the devs themselves said someone will build a death star, why not a halo ring of sorts? 

Being plausible doesn't mean people will be actually let to build a death star good sir :P People will nuke the site before they let anyone harness the power of a sun with a ringworld made of solar panels and store the energy for an endless supply of power to their ships :P

Being plausible doesn't mean people will be actually let to build a death star good sir :P People will nuke the site before they let anyone harness the power of a sun with a ringworld made of solar panels and store the energy for an endless supply of power to their ships :P

Yeah, as soon as any one group caught whiff of someone building a project like this, it'd be nuked within a week. So that said, go ahead. Build one!

Though, it would be cool for a community project to build a ring world, that would somehow remain "neutral" not belonging to any group when it was finished. Could be a fun community goal that NQ could put together.

Yeah, as soon as any one group caught whiff of someone building a project like this, it'd be nuked within a week. So that said, go ahead. Build one!

Though, it would be cool for a community project to build a ring world, that would somehow remain "neutral" not belonging to any group when it was finished. Could be a fun community goal that NQ could put together.

Indeed. That would be something people would fight over, even possibly an "alien" construct immune to damage that if a faction controls it's pretty much a permanent and unending power source. It would still be able for players to craft one, just not an indestructible one.

I would VOLUNTEER though to maintain one, if the pay was right.

While I agree that those who would want to maintain power wouldn't want someone outside of their power bloc building ANYTHING like this.  How would you stop them?  It's not like in EVE where everything is built as an all or nothing approach.  A Ringworld or other Dyson construct could be built in sections with interlocking components.  These components can then be BROUGHT to the final construction site all at once.  Ah, how I love sandbox construction.

While I agree that those who would want to maintain power wouldn't want someone outside of their power bloc building ANYTHING like this.  How would you stop them?  It's not like in EVE where everything is built as an all or nothing approach.  A Ringworld or other Dyson construct could be built in sections with interlocking components.  These components can then be BROUGHT to the final construction site all at once.  Ah, how I love sandbox construction.

Haaaaaave you met stealth bombers?

Don't underestimate the power of a dedicated, angry nerd. Spending years in an organization with the sole intent of bringing them down. And as your super duper awesome Project Ringworld is underway with multiple sites creating separate blocks, your most trusted ally and right hand man is telling the enemy where it all is, and the location where it will be built. But no, the enemy wont attack while it's being built in sections. They will wait in hiding for the pieces to arrive. Kill you, steal the sections, and build it themselves.

Or something like that, I don't know.  :P

You have a good point, and I don't see why you wouldn't be able to do this. But on the scale of a Ringworld.... man, I don't know. Thats YUUUUUUUGE.

Don't underestimate the power of a dedicated, angry nerd. Spending years in an organization with the sole intent of bringing them down. And as your super duper awesome Project Ringworld is underway with multiple sites creating separate blocks, your most trusted ally and right hand man is telling the enemy where it all is, and the location where it will be built. But no, the enemy wont attack while it's being built in sections. They will wait in hiding for the pieces to arrive. Kill you, steal the sections, and build it themselves.

Or something like that, I don't know.  :P

You have a good point, and I don't see why you wouldn't be able to do this. But on the scale of a Ringworld.... man, I don't know. Thats YUUUUUUUGE.

Very true.  I will never underestimate the nerd rage.  Still, It doesn't have the OUTRIGHT vulnerabilities that building large stations and titans did in EVE.

• 3 weeks later...

Very true.  I will never underestimate the nerd rage.  Still, It doesn't have the OUTRIGHT vulnerabilities that building large stations and titans did in EVE.

"You're right, it doesn't. But it will take two to four months at the least to build that. To you that's an eternity. To your rival and enemy, it's just sixty-one to a hundred and twenty checks."

Take it a step further to a Dyson Sphere.

" I don't know of any post by the developers that says harvesting energy from a star would or wouldn't be possible. If it's solar energy you need, some solar plates on the planet would do. Why would you build a Dyson Sphere to do the same thing you could do from the safety of a planet. Even if, harvesting solar energy from star was possible, the developers would need to code the difference in solar energy quantity and quality from just beside a star to collection from a planet. Even if they do it, it won't be in the near future."