Ringworlds?

SilverRangerOne

Even if I don't support circle-jerking, ring-worlds or as some great fictional general put it "God's Personal Anti Son of a Bitch weapons", would depend on how "wide" fragmented servers could be. Plus, you would need an INSANE amount of minerals to build a ringworld. There's a difference between "plausible" and "possible" gents.

I fear that before building something like that you have to completely mine out several planets^^

I mean, if the ringworld has a mega-feckton of turrets, it would be awesome, sure. But you have to wage.

A fleet of ships and possibly making the moneh.

Or build a ringworld.

Money or ringworld. Hmmm...

It could be done,now how much time will it take?that the real question

We were told the diameter of a planet is ~30km, smallest voxel size is 25cm, lets say the orbit is 5km above the ground (to fit the very small planet size), that makes 500k voxels to build a ring. if you place 1 voxel per second thats ~6d for a single line of voxels without mining, refining etc.

Would you have to build the ring while it orbits the planet you want it around, or could maybe a bunch of organizations pull an ISS, and each build a section before moving it by either its own hyperdrive, or in some massive space truck (whose own construction would probably be just as complex/time consuming).  

It is implausible, but there is another issue: what would you do with all the space the structure provides? At some point you just don't need any more rooms or pieces of a certain kind of machinery. There just wouldn't be any point in having a structure that large, from a logistical standpoint..

good luck trying to find enaugh material to build a sphere around a planet m8. you'd have to harvest 10 planets to build this sphere.

but it would probably be possible, not saying it wouldnt.

I mean, let's face it, "empires" will probably carve out and scrap entire cities to build such a colossal weste of reousrces. Which sounds tots normal, as humanity has done WAY WORSE than build pretty rings around planets. For more info, check the Conquistadors and how they build churches.

So no, I don't think it's implausible at the very least. I find it a Server-Wide war ready to happen. The War of the One Ringworld they will call it.

Sounds like an interesting player project rather than a suggestion to builder mechanics. Of course some people will try to do this or other massive projects. Not to be overly pessimistic but I can see most of these ending due to lack of interest or PVP asshats who do useless things for no reason. It will probably be abandoned/destroyed before it gets anywhere close to being the cause of the War of the One Ringworld.

Not to say that I hope they don't succeed. I just don't think it's likely.

@Velenka

I can imagine the capital world of a faction building such a ring around their planet by devouring planets worth of materials and shipping them back to the capital. Then, the War of the One Ringworld shalt begin. 

That or some asshole will smuggle a nuke via stealthy means and blow the darn thing up.

In reply to the original post.  Possible yes.  The game engine could conceivably do it. (no upper limit has yet been put in place for size.)  But WHY?  In real life, we want to build these things to solve energy, space, and calculation limitations that being on a planet has.  These limits don't exist in-game so the only reasons "I" can think up are:

• A billboard, advertising your talents as a builder/designer.
  • Some in-game mechanic introduced by the devs. (e.g. territory control)
  • Because you can. (A perfectly valid reason in a sandbox.)

So my question is, "why do you want to know SilverRangerOne?"

Personally, I think it's perfectly viable to build a ringworld. Singular. Only one, if any, should be built. If it is built, put it around the first planet we have access to. That'll be the spawn point of every new player, and it'll be their first base for quite a while. I saw one of the posts earlier referring to the fact that an installation like this would tie players down in an area that lacks resources, however, there will forever be a number of players who stick around the first world. While creating a station to serve their needs would probably be relatively simple, a ringworld would accomplish more, I believe. Some players say it'd deplete multiple planets to build a ringworld. This may be true, this may not; we don't currently know what the resource density will be like in Dual. Another player said it'd just be a waste of space. To that I say: There is no shortage of industry that could be put on such a station. Just because there is one ship seller doesn't mean that a hundred more won't open up on the station as well, and the space would allow Corporations that branched out quickly to bring their business easily back to the homeworld without having to build any extra facilities. Besides, there can never be enough storage space.

Now, despite having said all that, the production of a ringworld is highly implausible. It'd require cooperation between hundreds, maybe thousands of players, each with different ideals and mindsets, which I don't see happening in the early days of the game. Another big issue is the defense system; this thing is just a massive target waiting to get blown up. While power ought to not be an issue, it'd still require a massive amount of power to keep this thing running. And of course, the government system on this thing would be absolutely horrendous (too many agendas, too many opinions). Unless it were broken up into large sections governed by blanket corporations (corporations that hold dominion over a bunch of smaller corporations), or governed by a third party, it'd be too politically unstable to even attempt. 

Those are my thoughts. Feel free to tear them apart.

• 2 weeks later...

I can see further down the line in the life of DU, maybe a year or so, people having cracks at building Dyson's Spheres (Or more likely rings). I hope we get to this stage, huge organisations working to create this. Wether there is any actual benefit you get from building one or not I'd love to see on built.

After seeing this video (Link here) building a ringworld is now greatly simplified.  I will now make the inner core of the ringworld out of dirt!  :D

But in all seriousness, If there is no upper limit on far things can stay attached structurally making a ring world in layers starting with simple substances will make the needed construction expertise almost trivial.