Research / Technology Opportunitiess

Wilks Checkov

Primarily I am starting this topic just to indulge my curiosity on if there is going to be research / technological development in the game? Will it be static or linear, or just on a non linear path up? When the servers first start, will we have to start out with early space technology and then develop the more advanced knowledge as we go? Will we be able to learn it all, or will we have to specialize?

I know having technology IE {Research} in-game would bring a new factor to the RP and trade systems of the game, at-least in my opinion.

If someone does mind filling me in on this it would be appreciated.

As for discussion, I welcome it :) and would love to hear all your opinions on the matter. 

We do know there will be blueprints.

I think it would be a great start for a science based path to make production copies of a original intellectual copy. Or even replicate the intellectual copies so more people could create production copies.

@Neopolitan

What do you bet people will attempt to reverse engineer some blueprints? :P Give a new paintjob and voila!

No good sir, this is a legit iPhone!"

"But the apple is facing the wrong way and it says iFon on the back-side."

"Absurd good sir! It's totally not a nock-off."

Good times xD

I would think you would simply mess with the competition, size of machinery and you could make it more advanced. This defines simply would get better as time goes on but if the engines, weapons etc. could be improved that is another massive part of the game. Some group could build a giant research facility either as a ship or underground or as one station. This means someone you out tech everybody els as a way to compete. There could also be tech treaties between factions of even espionage ( it is is possible) to steal someone else's tech from there facility. AS the post above states, you could shoot down a really advanced fighter and then take the tech from it. You could have weapon testing ranges like in real life were they get to blow stuff up all day.

@Neopolitan

What do you bet people will attempt to reverse engineer some blueprints? :P Give a new paintjob and voila!

No good sir, this is a legit iPhone!"

"But the apple is facing the wrong way and it says iFon on the back-side."

"Absurd good sir! It's totally not a nock-off."

Good times xD

I could see it happening.  I think it's just as likely blueprints will cover design philosophy metas though.  Someone brought up wanting to target specific components in another thread.  I would counter by building extraneous parts in out of the way places to throw off targeting systems then.  You might spend a lot of time reverse engineering something only for the blueprint to be obsolete a week later.  Though I could see builders being hired to reverse engineer and improve on a design.  Seen the movie Paycheck recently?  Not the best movie I know, but a perfect example.