Nanoformer Capabilities

Wardion2000

In the DevBlog it was stated they planned to allow the Nanoformer on your arm to be used as a simple weapon shooting out materials or energy. (both, please?)

I was wondering if anyone besides myself would like to see it capable of other tasks?  For instance, The ability to grab a voxel of dirt and just drop it somewhere else as dirt.  Could be useful to disguise fortifications, or hide in a covered hole.  Also creating things on the ground could be a real pain if you can't fill in gaps for a foundation.  Could it be made upgradeable somehow to not just pick up certain substances but also change the state of them? (Collecting water and then creating ice.)  Can we upgrade the simple weapon function so it has more punch?  Or perhaps the ability to make blueprint structures and constructs build almost instantaneously?  "You wish to fight sir?  Very well." ~nanoforms a robot gargoyle~ "I shall oblige you."

Okay, I admit it.  I am so going to play a frikkin Space Wizard when DU comes out.

i think nearly instant building as long as you have the blueprint and ressources should be included, they wont force a player to stay at the same spot for 10 minutes or something like that.

They want to include hacking, so i think the nanoformer will also have a hacking interface, thus making it to some kind of multi-purpose tool, maybe we can upgrade it ourselfs with a limited amount of extra features.

i think nearly instant building as long as you have the blueprint and ressources should be included, they wont force a player to stay at the same spot for 10 minutes or something like that.

They want to include hacking, so i think the nanoformer will also have a hacking interface, thus making it to some kind of multi-purpose tool, maybe we can upgrade it ourselfs with a limited amount of extra features.

Also heard you could use programming in game? tho I have never really got a 100% confirmation on that.

I think what you are asking is possible in voxel engines Wardion. It's a simple "paint-job" so to speak. You have the material you want, you only add dirt over it and trimm the dirt voxels until they bake over the fortification material.

I think what you are asking is possible in voxel engines Wardion. It's a simple "paint-job" so to speak. You have the material you want, you only add dirt over it and trimm the dirt voxels until they bake over the fortification material.

I know it's "possible" I just don't know if it's allowed.  :unsure:

Unless they go for the "Brand new shiny" look in the game, I can't see it not be allowed. But given that voxels will have to protray damage on ships, I can see it being allowed, as it would bep art of the mechanics of the game.

Hmm,  I just thought of some more utility uses as well.  

• The ability to create environmental effects. (like smoke)
  • An interface for the remote control of drones.
  • An HTML5 programmable interface just like DPU's.

Anyone else with other thoughts and ideas?

Instant construction would be a bad thing in m opinion, I would much rather see something like space engineers welding system. Imagine a well stockpiled defender just instantly building turrets and fighters to defend their previously undefended base, or a wealthy attacker doing the same against a weaker defender. Building times means people have to be prepared before things go south. Also a welding like mechanic would probably mean we'd have to build foundries to build larger ships, adding to the overall complexity of the game, while also providing weak spots. If you can take out the enemy's foundries they can no longer produce capital ships and so you have made the war much easier for your side.