Multiboxing support?

yamamushi

Multibox Support  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Allow for multiboxing?

• Yes
    • No

To be fair, Eve Online is the only game I've ever multiboxed in, and it was only ever to mine on more than one account or to have an alt to check prices in Jita with.

However, I'm wondering what other people think about multiboxing in the scope of Dual Universe, and whether they think it should be allowed or not.

Personally, I think it should be allowed, as there are certainly going to be times where I'm just waiting around on one account (hauling cargo through space, etc.) and I'm going to want to be playing on another account where things are more active.

Although I really doubt we're going to see something like this happen, who knows right?

eve_diy_multiplayer_system_1-540x405.jpg

If I remember correctly, it was said somewhere that we'll be allowed to have multiple characters but only one progressing in skills at a time, or something of that nature, which to me suggests we'll be able play them in the same time, or otherwise how would we create situations where multiple characters are doing things to increase their skills to begin with? Aren't the skills use-based rather then time-based?

Going by this, I am pretty sure it is already allowed.

@Traceur

Multiboxing is the act of having multiple player accounts ran by a single person. In the literal way, a one man army if you will.

Multiboxing is not something that requires support. I mean, I multiboxed 5 mage accounts in WoW for a raid. In this game though, I think you'll need some good keyboard, with macro-keys and a little bit of know-how to create cross-window targeting. 

May I also add multi-boxing is lame? O.o 

@Traceur

Multiboxing is the act of having multiple player accounts ran by a single person. In the literal way, a one man army if you will.

Multiboxing is not something that requires support. I mean, I multiboxed 5 mage accounts in WoW for a raid. In this game though, I think you'll need some good keyboard, with macro-keys and a little bit of know-how to create cross-window targeting. 

May I also add multi-boxing is lame? O.o 

There is very little you can actually do against it other then leveling the playing field by removing some of the advantages it provides, which is what they seem to be going for, going around the use for multiple accounts by providing us with multiple characters per account and possibly letting us play them in the same time within some limitations on skill progression. in-game programming with LUA can also cuts down on a lot of the benefits multiboxing offers since you would probably be able to program a ship to do much of what you would othewise macro. Ofcourse any limitation they do place is another benefit for holding multiple accounts, and some advantages are always going to be there, in particular if a player wants the freedom to behave in ways they might otherwise get banned for, so that is a pretty awkward line for them to try and walk on.

Against.

I don't think it's a good idea, but aside from limiting the usefulness of something like this, I'm not sure if there is a good way to prevent it.

You wouldn't really need to socialize for certain tasks, like mining. Why get 5 people together to mine when you can just be all 5 people and do it yourself.

@Sledgehammer

It's an advantage called "Pay-2-Win" I believe. I personally have the specs to multibox, but I don't do so becauseI like challenge. If a guy with many zeros in his bank account can simply be a one man army, then it's not so fun to play in PvP.And locking down IP is not a viable option, cause many people play from the same house, like couples for example, so locking down IP to one account per connection is going to be a tough cookie.

And on the notion of "Why make a group of 5 people when you can be all 5 people".

Yes, some people seem to not give a flying flamingo when it comes to the MMO part.And since they said you can program your A.I., I don't see multiboxing being a thing, since the game will allow you to have a mining vessel, ran FOR you by your A.I. 

Multi boxing is not pay 2 win xD lol. Multiboxing in pvp is lame and makes aeasy target for non multiboxers thats for shure tahts why few people do that. But to have to log different character to say check a market on one side of the universe and then another istead of haveing them loged at the same time is riduculous.

I do not understand why are there so many ppl trying to impose all sorts of limits sugesting ridiculous ideas.

Ban multibox, favour the defending pvp side, make free to play... it feels that half of this forum don't even want DU, they want a minecraft mmo...

Multi boxing is not pay 2 win xD lol. Multiboxing in pvp is lame and makes aeasy target for non multiboxers thats for shure tahts why few people do that. But to have to log different character to say check a market on one side of the universe and then another istead of haveing them loged at the same time is riduculous.

I do not understand why are there so many ppl trying to impose all sorts of limits sugesting ridiculous ideas.

Ban multibox, favour the defending pvp side, make free to play... it feels that half of this forum don't even want DU, they want a minecraft mmo...

Not pay 2 win, pay for mulitple accounts to win win ;).  Nobody is calling to ban Multiboxing, just saying that it provides an advantage that is paid for.

Multiboxing in pvp is an easy target? sure if there are enough players, but if we consider a 1 player vs 1 player situation where one of those multiboxes and uses 5 spaceships, the outcome is pretty clear, obviously a case of unfair advantage. And no, it is not ridiculous to have to travel between markets, because thats where interaction with pirates etc. comes into play.

I do not understand how anyone could think that multiboxing is not an unfair and quite big advantage, thats ridiculous.

AI makes for easy targets

I would reserve making that assumption till we know how sophisticated they will allow scripting and DPU's.  If it were to be totally free of restrictions you would be hard pressed to beat a well programmed A.I. drone.  Instantaneous reaction time, Instantaneous decision making.  Not to mention if I designed ships with A.I. piloting in mind I can skip certain aspects that a human pilot would find necessary. (cockpit, life support).  And then use all that extra space for armor, weapons, extra thrusters, and gyroscopes.  An A.I. drone can be designed to function with a minimum of parts and still pull off better maneuvering than a human ever will.  For instance, you could make it without retro thrusters.  Every time it wants to slow down it could flip a perfect 180, fire main thrusters, and then flip back without missing a beat.  Yeah A.I. drones could be scary.  Everybody just programs A.I. dumber for games so the player doesn't get embarrassed.

If you don't understand why they suggest a limit or why they put forth the idea in the first place perhaps you should ask before calling it "imposing" or "ridiculous".  An idea or suggestion doesn't emerge from a vacuum after all.  If they suggest something they may have been in a similar situation and want to point out possible downsides that they have experienced.   vylqun makes an excellent observation on the need to travel between markets. Because something might be THERE in between.  Could be bad.  Could be good.  The point is you won't know if all you are doing is logging between accounts.  As for multiboxing giving an advantage in PVP?  I could see it.  Clever keyboard scripting and macros could make a formidable formation of ships.  All with perfect coordination, timing, and targeting.  You could literally have the perfect wingmen that way.  At the same time, it may be a moot point as CaptanTwerkmotor suggests.  A.I. ships and drones may make it an irrelevant concept.

Don't pick out one word out of the post you need to read the whole thing, you clearly do not whant to understand yourself what is said. There are always two towers to view things from...

But hey let me spell it out for you: You will not need to travel between markets if both market characters are on the same account - you will just change the toon, with too accounts you can have them both at the same time without log in log out trouble, but still no need to travel!

We don't know how the scripting will work but you might be able to have a perfect wingman with just drones or scripted ships. I do not see multiboxing giving massive advantage in fleet pvp in this game at this point.

We don't know how the scripting will work but you might be able to have a perfect wingman with just drones or scripted ships. I do not see multiboxing giving massive advantage in fleet pvp in this game at this point.

that reasoning is flawed. I don't understand how you can think it'd be valid.

If one person has a Ship and good, scripted drones, what would keep the multiboxing person from having the same thing for each of his accounts? Do you really want to call PvP fair if someone with 5 Accounts can fight against someone with just 1 account? Thats utter nonsense. If all conditions are equal for both players, the one with more accounts will always win, even if those accounts only consist of some long range turret ships. (except you want to tell us that you're so bad at gaming, that you need several times the amount of ressources and ships to beat a single opponent <_< )

@vylqun

That's the point of multiboxing. So people with no skill can compensate with money. And let's face it, if they buy 5 accounts, they will ask for real money marketplace, cause multiboxers dont farm and shit. The ''minin'' multiboxing is a bullshit arguement. It's like saying you need a bazooka to hunt deer.

Apart from a multiple negative statements you still fail to provide a valid argument, and then you get a personal card out "you are so bad at gameing" - how constructive.

p.s. I have never ever said anything about being "fair"  - it's and MMO you do not have to  fight 1 vs 1

Apart from a multiple negative statements you still fail to provide a valid argument, and then you get a personal card out "you are so bad at gameing" - how constructive.

p.s. I have never ever said anything about being "fair"  - it's and MMO you do not have to  fight 1 vs 1

So, you wanna spend money to have an "unfair" advantage. Tell me again how multiboxing is not Pay-2-Win.

I am very strongly against multiboxing.

It is, frankly, a form of cheating.  It is immersion-breaking.  It is a form of pay2win.  It is contrary to the player-driven, cooperative/competitive MMO philosophy of the game on many levels.  It affects the emergent story of the game on a deep level.  It has far-reaching consequence for the player-driven economy and the cycle of creation/destruction.  It drastically affects what is possible for a solo player to do, and this relates back to my other points.

I would very much like to see multiboxing as strictly prohibited as is realistically possible.

There will always be people who multibox for the many stated reasons. However I believe the advantages of doing so can be reduced by empowering players so that you don't feel inhibited by just playing your main character.

If it's too difficult to check market prices. To hard to level or skill up then yeah we will see more multi box.

In eve how many people do you all think multi box pvp versus how many do it for mining operations. Just curious.