Multiboxing support?

yamamushi

Multibox Support  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Allow for multiboxing?

• Yes
    • No

I'd say that in principle, multiboxing should not be allowed. But as stated before, there's not much that can be done to perfectly prevent that. Very strict regulation of IPs would not allow any kind of personal gathering of couples, family, or friends to play, whereas anything less will mean that it's still possible to multibox.

I would agree with others above who have said that it's unfair or it's P2W. Multiboxing seems ethically dubious at worst, but work relieving at other times, such as mining materials. I think NQ should strive to make every player's chance to succeed more or less equal.

PVP has been offered as a reason almost unanimously as to why it would be unfair, since a possible encounter between a normal player and a multiboxer favors the multiboxer. But there's also every other aspect of the game which they could effect. Markets would be dramatically effected by a huge influx of minerals gathered by a huge multibox army. A monopoly of information on surveys of planets might ruin exploration for others.

On a genuinely large scale that NQ is hoping for, multiboxers probably wouldn't have much effect at all. A small group of 5,6 or even 10 to 20 wouldn't matter in a sea of organizations, each with hundreds or thousands of players.

Something no-one has really brought up is the possibility of an item that gives you more ingame time being released, which I think I heard something about. That would allow multiboxers to mine and earn enough to support their other accounts without pay to win... potentially making this style of gameplay more common.

If that gate opens with "tokens" that you can buy in game the flood gates towards Pay-2-Win will open.

Banning multiboxing is basically impossible and as far as I'm concerned of very little importance. What is more important imho is banning the use of botting and input broadcasting meaning you would actually have to play each account individually, that way it is fair for everyone. Though if scripting will be as strong as they have made it out to be you might be able to accomplish many of the things people would normally use bots for ingame, I still think using software to give game inputs should be banned though.

The idea of multi-boxing in a game akin to this makes no sense to me - It's too complex to allow, at this stage anyway. But I'm sure someone along the line will write bots in game via the LUA function.

However, it is inevitable that someone will manage to multi-box, there is no way to prevent it. But EvE went and made a good compromise, as long as YOU control the accounts and it isn't MACRO'd or run through other software, it is okay. Because it's up to you to manage. 

We'll just have to see really, I mean, people might end up creating drones that just do things via LUA and there may be no need for multi-boxing. The possibilities are fairly endless. 

I dont see a way to stop it, unless they ban multiple log ins from the same IP address, but then that stops people like me with kids that all could be playing at the same time.  Its going to happen, it not the end of the world.

I dont see a way to stop it, unless they ban multiple log ins from the same IP address, but then that stops people like me with kids that all could be playing at the same time.  Its going to happen, it not the end of the world.

When the game starts dying because of One Man Armada multiboxers, you mgiht reconsider this notion good sir.

j5xFkm0.png

This graphic perfectly explains everything that i had to say on the subject. Thank you!

I never saw anything negative about multiboxing in Everquest when it was usually PVE and someone bringing in an extra support class to buff and spot heal or something like that.  It usually just made the game more fun for everyone.

Someone botting several characters in PVP, cloning keystrokes to control all of them with the same mouse and keyboard is just cheating.  I think that can be dealt with on its own without wasting time trying to stop people from multiboxing.

I never saw anything negative about multiboxing in Everquest when it was usually PVE and someone bringing in an extra support class to buff and spot heal or something like that.  It usually just made the game more fun for everyone.

thats only as long as pve isn't competive and mining/crafting etc. in Dual Universe will be very competive, thus multiboxing will give a definite advantage in early and late game which completely unequalizes the game.

@vylnqun

The point is for the game to be reactive and not stream-lined as of rotations. If there are NO rotations on keybinds, that will ruin people running drone-army multiboxing. If the game becomes a "spam 1 - 2- 1 - 3 - 5 - 1" like WoW or other MMOs, then multiboxing is unavoidable.

From the FAQs in case you didn't notice:

"Can I have more than one character?"

"Yes. But you will only be able to improve skills on one character at a time."

Still we don't know if you will be able to open multiple clients at the same time. 

I stated my opinion before regarding this, but I want to add an option. I don't know how "automated constructs" (like drones) are going to be balanced (and they need to be), but in a certain way a mining drone (or whatever) is the same as running multiple clients. There are some scenarios were this balance may come by limiting resources (by making them rare or hard to find), to limit the amount of stuff you can generate with both systems.

Eve online doesn't have drones, and materials regenerate themselves over time. So you can't compare the two.

From the FAQs in case you didn't notice:

"Can I have more than one character?"

"Yes. But you will only be able to improve skills on one character at a time."

Still we don't know if you will be able to open multiple clients at the same time. 

I stated my opinion before regarding this, but I want to add an option. I don't know how "automated constructs" (like drones) are going to be balanced (and they need to be), but in a certain way a mining drone (or whatever) is the same as running multiple clients. There are some scenarios were this balance may come by limiting resources (by making them rare or hard to find), to limit the amount of stuff you can generate with both systems.

Eve online doesn't have drones, and materials regenerate themselves over time. So you can't compare the two.

Mate, are you serious with that question?

The question "Can i have more than one character" and its answer, means "YOU CAN HAVE MULTIPLE CHARACTERS PER PLAYER ACCOUNT, BUT YOUR SKILLS CAN'T BE UPGRADED OFFLINE".

If a guy mutliboxes, GUESS WHAT SHERLOCK, they can upgrade ALL OF THEIR CHARACTERS AT THE SAME TIME, BECAUSE THEY PLAY ON DIFFERENT CLIENTS.

So, multi-client disabling is the way to go if Novaquark doesn't want its game to become Pay-2-Win.

@vylnqun

The point is for the game to be reactive and not stream-lined as of rotations. If there are NO rotations on keybinds, that will ruin people running drone-army multiboxing. If the game becomes a "spam 1 - 2- 1 - 3 - 5 - 1" like WoW or other MMOs, then multiboxing is unavoidable.

yes, it will "ruin" their advantage in pvp a bit, and most likely in pve too, but certainly not in mining. And getting more different skillsets than other people, which also is a very big advantage.

thats only as long as pve isn't competive and mining/crafting etc. in Dual Universe will be very competive, thus multiboxing will give a definite advantage in early and late game which completely unequalizes the game.

PVE isn't competitive it's collaborative by definition, so no problem there.  And in terms of mining and crafting i don't see how it could give an advantage.  Please give some examples.

If i can only control one character at a time i can only mine or craft on one character at a time.  If someone has to control each character separately they aren't going to be saving any time or gaining any advantage switching back and forth mining or gathering with two characters online at the same time.

edit: Just to clarify i am absolutely against any character being able to gain any skills or resources without a real human inputting clicks or keystrokes to gain them.  No one should ever be able to just sit there and gain anything.  As long as that isn't possible and botting isn't allowed i would hope that the style of multiboxing that was common in Everquest could be allowed.

Dual is obviously breaking new ground in a lot of ways and we really have no idea how so many things work.  But i have faith that NQ will make the right decisions regarding stuff like this.

PVE isn't competitive it's collaborative by definition, so no problem there.  And in terms of mining and crafting i don't see how it could give an advantage.  Please give some examples.

If i can only control one character at a time i can only mine or craft on one character at a time.  If someone has to control each character separately they aren't going to be saving any time or gaining any advantage switching back and forth mining or gathering with two characters online at the same time.

All activities in DU whether they are non-combative (PvE) or combative (PvP) are always competitive, sometimes/usually collaborative as well.  Every activity is done in competition with other players.  Either you have to produce more efficiently, transport more efficiently, find a niche in the market or unknown trade route, out-buy, out-sell, out-gun, or anything else, you are competing with other players.  Unless you are playing completely solo, you are also doing these activities collaboratively.  You are always competing with your enemies and rivals whether you know who they are or not, and collaborating with your friends and allies.

How can mining or crafting with multiple accounts signed in at the same time give an advantage?  Well as a single player you can mine or craft a greater volume without needing to collaborate with other players, defeating the purpose of an emergent, player-led story on a single shard universe, and keeping all the product and profit to yourself.

Your last point about only being able to control one character at a time depends on the nature of the mining or crafting activity.  If it's click a button and wait then obviously multiboxing will provide a huge, unfair advantage.  If it's a complex activity that needs your complete attention then the benefits of multiboxing are drastically reduced (and in that case why would you even be arguing for it?).  This is probably the best way to ensure that multiboxing is not a problem, together with sanctioning/banning players who are caught doing it.

In your other post you mention bringing in an extra support class to buff and heal.  That is exactly the sort of thing I am strongly opposed to.  It should be an actual player providing that support, not a multiboxer's army.

Hi former one man army on EVE army here. 

Firstly multi-boxing takes skill, and anyone who says it doesn't hasn't really done it, or has only done the ratter/miner/noob gank crap. 

You aren't paying to win, you have to risk your assets valuable assets you worked hard for. And each of those combat assets gets a fraction of your focus compared to one person focusing on the status and actions of a single character. If i'm playing 2 accounts and fighting 2 people running 1 each,  I am the one at a disadvantage (well all other things being equal) 

the pay to win and it has no skill argument is frankly insulting. Being effective in combat multi-boxing requires focus, practice, and aptitude (and some serious hardware at times : ) 

Personally i would want multi-boxing, but i wont be turned off the game if they find a way to prevent it and make it against EULA. 

*note i am absolutely 100% opposed to any form of software assistance or automation in multi-boxing so those people running 100 accounts that 1 shot everything wwhen they click once, that's not what i'm supporting*

Firstly multi-boxing takes skill, and anyone who says it doesn't hasn't really done it, or has only done the ratter/miner/noob gank crap. 

You aren't paying to win, you have to risk your assets valuable assets you worked hard for. And each of those combat assets gets a fraction of your focus compared to one person focusing on the status and actions of a single character. If i'm playing 2 accounts and fighting 2 people running 1 each,  I am the one at a disadvantage (well all other things being equal) 

the pay to win and it has no skill argument is frankly insulting. Being effective in combat multi-boxing requires focus, practice, and aptitude (and some serious hardware at times : ) 

Personally i would want multi-boxing, but i wont be turned off the game if they find a way to prevent it and make it against EULA. 

*note i am absolutely 100% opposed to any form of software assistance or automation in multi-boxing so those people running 100 accounts that 1 shot everything wwhen they click once, that's not what i'm supporting*

Undoubtedly your form of multiboxing requires a lot more concentration and practice than mining armies, support ships or anything else that can be done afk (in Eve).  I would point out, though, that your example is 2v1, not 2v2.  Can a player of equal skill playing with just one account compete with you head to head when you are multiboxing?  If multiboxing gives you an advantage in 1v1 situations then it is pay2win regardless of how much practice it takes to master.

In any case, your form of multiboxing is far less common than the mining/ratting/noob ganking/support form.

i'd suggest reading the posts in the thread you're answering to ;)

Let me try to ignore the direct pvp part and make an example concerning the economy.

At the start of the game, everyone is equal. Some people start mining, some start research, some explore. Then there is one who has 6 accounts and does everything twice as fast. The gain per account is equal, but the multiboxer will pool all ressources, research etc. into his main account, while its very unlikely, that you will find 5 other people who would give up all their work just for you.

After a month or maybe two months the multiboxer will have an extreme lead in research and production capabilities and able to dominate the "early game" while it would need a group of people to stop him. Everyone else who hasn't found a group will be powerless. 

And all that just because he spent more money for gaming than the other players. Thats just unacceptable.

And no, the argument that you could join a guild and pool the ressources together doesnt count, because to have a comparison you would have to set them up against a guild of multi boxers with the same amount of real players.

Mate, are you serious with that question?

The question "Can i have more than one character" and its answer, means "YOU CAN HAVE MULTIPLE CHARACTERS PER PLAYER ACCOUNT, BUT YOUR SKILLS CAN'T BE UPGRADED OFFLINE".

If a guy mutliboxes, GUESS WHAT SHERLOCK, they can upgrade ALL OF THEIR CHARACTERS AT THE SAME TIME, BECAUSE THEY PLAY ON DIFFERENT CLIENTS.

So, multi-client disabling is the way to go if Novaquark doesn't want its game to become Pay-2-Win.

No, you didn't understand. You can't stop multiboxing. You can disable multiple clients, but I can assure you that there are easy ways to "hack" that. And then you can't stop people from buying multiple computers. Still, that was not the point of my post.

And please, stop with this huge and pink font, everyone here wants his post noticed, what if we start to write huge rainbow posts? If you want your post to be read, try to provide interesting arguments. 

It takes skill to play multiple chess sets at the same time too, not that you're allowed to do that.

• 2 weeks later...

Easy enuf… no multiboxing alloe multiple char under control GTA single player like 3 - 5 char how will act has "main" char how you can set up to do some thing lile a.i when your not controling it (auto pilote char with costum task)

Easy enuf… no multiboxing alloe multiple char under control GTA single player like 3 - 5 char how will act has "main" char how you can set up to do some thing lile a.i when your not controling it (auto pilote char with costum task)