DU and the Power Stuggle.

UNIX101

Hello all!

first off I am typing this on a phone so there might be a lot of errors. I apologize in advanced and hope that I don't butcher anything past the point of understanding.

I've been a part of this community for only a few weeks and have done as much research about DU as possible and even the professional background of JC. Which, as an electrical engineer, is quite impressive.

My point in this post is to essentially point out the elephant in the room. To me it's obvious that there is a current power stuggle between organizations and this is why content has been changing, which isn't a bad thing. But I think at this early stages of the game organizations are making large claims on services and things that organizations will provide without knowing the possibilities of the game. To anyone looking to join an organization I recommend you keep a level of skepticism. Without concrete evidence from Novaquark it's hard to say exactly how 'emergent' the game will be. This will play a huge role in how organizations operate and how many sectors they will be able to cover with personell they have.

what are everyone's thoughts?

I agree that I, as an organisation leader myself, built the promises I made upon assumptions about the content. Since we can't really be sure about how everything is finally handled ingame, the descriptions of organisations should be considered roleplay, as far as ingame stuff goes.

I agree to some extent. There are a lot of player ship desigins, and building or city designs, but from the look of it, our ships will look similar because we all have the same elements to desigin them with. I would assume it is going to be the same for buildings as well.

Coming from Star Citizen where there are vastly more organizations (while the game is also not finished), I think at this point I'm used to organizations claiming to be able to do it all in a cocky manner while implying they will be the best at the same time.

Of course there can be a fine line regarding bold advertising and claiming 'bullshit'. But sometimes I just think "Tone it down a bit there, champ" or "I would have worded that in a different way". Personal preference also plays a role of course. Some just "brag" and consider it fitting, others dislike it.

I prefer decency or more careful wording at times. In the past and another sandbox game, those who usually bragged but could not deliver were often rather embarrassed and eventually became a footnote of community history.

There's also the chance you mean well but don't notice potential "flaws" in wording or advertisement. It is, again, subjective, too.

But as JC stated in a recent interview, he rather speaks of intent than things set in stone. I personally consider that safer and will double check our own wording and ads to make sure it is more clear that man things are yet unclear. Better safe than having to revise major portions later.

To add, I also think that certain claims are valid of course. It depends on what gameplay mechanic is referred to. Cities, for example, are a safe bet. Other things are not yet that evident or no t in all the details. I also think that the topic may solve itself over time to some extend, as organizations perhaps change their descriptions.

I agree that some organizations have made claims they might not be able to deliver, but in the end all that matters is what actually happens in-game. I think many of the claims, the most popular one being to "build a death star" are all theoretically possible in-game, just not necessarily a good strategy. 

Hopefully the alpha will give org leaders a good idea of what is possible and practical, and by the time Beta roles around the plans of organizations can be more realistic.

You might be right. I have read the RDMS many times. I've tried to infer their objectives, and I try to keep it as base and realistic as possible.

Do you think I overstep myself? just slap me its ok.

Is there a power struggle?

I thought everyone was pretty friendly with each other. I do have goals to make this place fun and there are some elements of gameplay I have to oppose, but I still accept that people want to embrace those play styles and I want to find ways for everyone to get something from the game.

There often is, even if indirectly or abstract. Most try to recruit and are often looking for applicants with certain talents. Coders for example. Some are probably out for the most glory or the largest size, etc. Some want constant attention or visibility perhaps.

The least is that people are not at each other's throats. Not publicly anyway.

Allow me to add my two cents of advice here as well. People, please understand the obligations you make when joining an org. If you fail to meet the standards or go against what the organization you join, you're also breaching something similar to a contract. However, if an organization fails to provide the assets and abilities it offers, it's probably a sign that it isn't worth it in the first place.

As an organization founder myself and member of the Cinderfall Founders, orgs should have to research before hand. If they don't, it often leads to a misunderstanding of what services they can provide and what services you might actually be missing!

For example, you see some orgs promise things so unbelievable, such as free items, free services and so much more. As an example of one of the most ridiculous things I've seen, claiming entire planet(s) for your organization. Such thing would probably be impossible without help from multiple orgs, so they should do more research. 

Also, absolutely insane things, just in general, should be researched before hand.

Thinking about it, there is always two to this however. You have to expect some critical thinking or the ability to inquire from applicants rather them all going: "Oh, all that for me, even multiple planets, wooooaaaahhhh sign me up!"

In short, inquire when in doubt. Often things can then be cleared up or specified. Also, don't be too gullible with certain specific claims.

Yeah - I came to exact conclusion as the OP once I'd started an organisation almost as a placeholder, and then started writing thoughts for forum posts (still coming - like you I drive by on phone atm :/) and realising there were so many background assumptions I didn't have answers for so couldn't really bring the Organisation to life.

While I'm a hard core roleplayer more interested in politics, polities and social/culture (Inc. military and trade and public services) not going to a "manufacturing service space" - I have to agree - focus on your individual character before orgs.

Really what we as a community SHOULD, if not MUST, do while we learn more about the DU setting is put our collective heads together to make "background" or core organisations for Alioth - stuff none of us are ever likely going to want to play and could be just NPC run for instance - the local midwives guild for instance - we know something like that "exists", but it has no gameplay value (unless characters can give birth obviously).

I think there is already, to some extend. People are power (the power to act) for an organization. Orgs can already compete in a more abstract way, for people or ideas. I'm actually happy to be here early for the associated reasons.

"Woop Woop".

Can't say there has been any real power struggle considering there isn't anything to have a struggle over except who has the best bureaucracy, members, or ideas.

Personally, I just see some fun bantering among everyone. Some are extremely salty, some just don't care, and some have a good laugh. 

Well, of course there is going to be a power struggle, since every group of players wants to be the best, even if not everyone admits it. There are going to be fights over finite resources like safe space and minerals, as well as propaganda wars for members. But this can also be a lot fun, as it adds a nice layer of realism.

Well, of course there is going to be a power struggle, since every group of players wants to be the best, even if not everyone admits it. There are going to be fights over finite resources like safe space and minerals, as well as propaganda wars for members. But this can also be a lot fun, as it adds a nice layer of realism.

Too much greed will eventually be a downfall in most cases.

True. That's why I limit my greed, or rather have a very based Assistant that limits my greed :D

Be careful however. Things can change quickly when you are "on top" or further up on the ladder. Things may seem different or "tempting" then and you could be inclined to act more offensive and care-free when dealing with others. Sometimes it can be fine, often depending on how you react to others you simply make yourself new enemies.

Some self restraint would seem suitable. Heck, it is suitable in general.

Be careful however. Things can change quickly when you are "on top" or further up on the ladder. Things may seem different or "tempting" then and you could be inclined to act more offensive and care-free when dealing with others. Sometimes it can be fine, often depending on how you react to others you simply make yourself new enemies.

Some self restraint would seem suitable. Heck, it is suitable in general.

Well said.

All - if you are the type of player who reads the above and is tempted to ignore this advice rather than seeing it for the common sense it is - please do. Darwinism is a great way to weed out power hungry asshats early on. :P

An Anonymous Public Service Announcement