Multiple Playable Races / Civilizations / Raid Worlds

slickz

That would be trick @yamamushi , cause... you know, Arkships left from Earth... so... yeah, we are Terrans/Earthlings/A-bunch-of-assholes as a species >_> 

Although, my idea mutated, hence, we could add a sort of "sub-class" system, or in our case sub-species, were you get to find out about how you were infected with an evolutionary mutagen that allows you to adapt to your new planet's ecosystem faster, hence giving you a choice of mutations, minor boosts like night vision (by giving you a sort of cat-eye mutation) or the ability to breathe underwater by developing gills on your skin, which would rock as an idea, given that some players will probably want to build cities underground because they love the Little Mermaid or maybe want fireproof skin, because they don't want to turn into Darth Vader because they slipped off a rock on their volcano hideout.

Just sayin', sub-species sounds cooler than "alien blue people" ideas.

I don't have any personal issue with side effects, crazy as I am, I'd just as soon as repopulate the species with a bunch of genetically modified people grown in laboratories. forgo the traditional mating process.

And I would with the most minimal reassurance that it wouldn't kill me undergo the processes to alter appearance. Being able to create a stand alone species with its own natural reproductive means isnt that important. If you can grow humans in the lab and mutate them, good enough.

I played a twi'lek I know what it is to give up stats for appearance. This situation isnt any different, let me be a smol (exceptionally small and adorable) fox girl, ill take the debuffs, -strength, -int, slower learning, +agility, longer range target acquisition (not actual longer fire range though).

But the whole stats thing is relatively unnecessary, I think its commonplace that the pioneers will have the nano former and probably some sort of mind machine interface. Everyone will have the same stats except for what you train into, or select on character creation.

Im really just suggesting this as a possible enhancement of the physical avatars down the line, post launch. What does it hurt to pursue it, if you say it isnt realistic, I don't know what you mean. There are already groups of people supporting longevity and genetics research.

I don't have any personal issue with side effects, crazy as I am, I'd just as soon as repopulate the species with a bunch of genetically modified people grown in laboratories. forgo the traditional mating process.

And I would with the most minimal reassurance that it wouldn't kill me undergo the processes to alter appearance. Being able to create a stand alone species with its own natural reproductive means isnt that important. If you can grow humans in the lab and mutate them, good enough.

I played a twi'lek I know what it is to give up stats for appearance. This situation isnt any different, let me be a smol (exceptionally small and adorable) fox girl, ill take the debuffs, -strength, -int, slower learning, +agility, longer range target acquisition (not actual longer fire range though).

But the whole stats thing is relatively unnecessary, I think its commonplace that the pioneers will have the nano former and probably some sort of mind machine interface. Everyone will have the same stats except for what you train into, or select on character creation.

Im really just suggesting this as a possible enhancement of the physical avatars down the line, post launch. What does it hurt to pursue it, if you say it isnt realistic, I don't know what you mean. There are already groups of people supporting longevity and genetics research.

What I'm suggesting mate is a short of "buffs that suit the playstyle". If a guy wants to build in a cave, he might need nightvision and let the game decide your mutation depending on where you choose to linger. Bodies of water = gills, top of the mountains = bettter health I guess, since your lungs are probably made of steel or something. Underground = cat's eye (possibly requiring shades when in daylight).

I'm not talking attributes here, attributes are so 2000s to be tots honest. I'm talking ACTUAL side-bonuses that suit the player's needs. That, or a flashlight for caverns. And flashlight sounds lame >_>

I'm pretty sure that when it comes to adapting to the environment, such as a cave, (because humans left Earth to live in a cave. lol, jokes) there will be technology to help humans adapt. Not crazy ass basement science. (Eg, Night Vision Goggles) What would be more practical is having exoskeleton suits (Such as the existing flightsuit) These suits would support the adding and removal of different modules. Such as Night Vision, inbuilt oxygen systems (For ye scoober needs), perhaps GOTG style booty boosters, and so on. Personally, I hope this gets added. I wouldn't mind having my own personal AI. Much like Master Cheif's Cortana.

My point is, this is a much more practical and doable alternative to genetic mutations. (I still support aliens)

@Dominar

The point is the game revolves around rebuilding "Human Civilisation". >_> Throws a wrench in the gears when it omes to aliens. It would be Human faction vs EVERYONE. >_> Casual human activity imho >_>

@Dominar

The point is the game revolves around rebuilding "Human Civilisation". >_> Throws a wrench in the gears when it omes to aliens. It would be Human faction vs EVERYONE. >_> Casual human activity imho >_>

Yes, I know. However, that doesn't mean things such as Exo-Suits cannot exist. Especially as there are basically confirmed Alien ruins and technology to be found.

@Dominar

Alien ruins can be sort of dungeons. Having to fight automated defenses and salvage their rustled jimmies after being destroyed.
I am just not in favor of playable alien races. It makes no sense lorewise. You are supposed to rebuild the society and technology. If aliens exist... why bother with rebuilding and exploring O.o

Well, if aliens do exist in the universe, which they probably do, it adds depth to the game. While you are exploring planets, rebuilding civilization, etc, you have to be careful not to run into another existing civilization that can tear you apart in seconds. Besides, the point of exploring is to discover new things. Not everyone will be satisfied with discovering only planets.

Considering the Human genom project, yes, it advanced extremely fast in the end because of the use of decentralised networks, but that was only possible because the work was done automatically by an algorithm, there was no need for intelligence. The development of a new race is something completely different, you need a lot of manpower for something like that. (yes, i know, it was just an example to make your point, but it doesnt really fit in this case because the work process is completely different) The longest time for research is the measuring and testing after the samples were created, and for the last straw of mankind it wont be cut short or reduced to a few series of cell-samples.

We have seen problems occuring because of insufficient testing in the past, be it because the amount of samples was to few or because humans had, unexpectedly, a different reaction than test animals, i repeat myself here when i say that such a thing wont do if the survival depends on it.

Yes, they'd never come up with algorithms to navigate databases of gene expressions and interactions.. That thing of building tools to automate processes as we understand them was totally a one time thing completely uncharacteristic of modern human society *He said using a computer* :P  

Well, if aliens do exist in the universe, which they probably do, it adds depth to the game. While you are exploring planets, rebuilding civilization, etc, you have to be careful not to run into another existing civilization that can tear you apart in seconds. Besides, the point of exploring is to discover new things. Not everyone will be satisfied with discovering only planets.

One way this can be done well is by implementing the gods & beasts approach. The basic tenant is that while aliens are likely, aliens at the exact same evolutionary stage as our civilization are not, so anyone we'd likely to find is either a lot more advanced then us or a lot less, with little to nobody waiting around to sit and have a conversation. What this would mean in-game is that you'll find alien fauna doing it's thing and you'll find alien machinery flying around and doing it's thing, one might be eating to survive and reproduce and the other might be mining mass for Dyson spheres or artificial black holes, but neither are particularly interested to talk to you.

One way this can be done well is by implementing the gods & beasts approach. The basic tenant is that while aliens are likely, aliens at the exact same evolutionary stage as our civilization are not, so anyone we'd likely to find is either a lot more advanced then us or a lot less, with little to nobody waiting around to sit and have a conversation. What this would mean in-game is that you'll find alien fauna doing it's thing and you'll find alien machinery flying around and doing it's thing, one might be eating to survive and reproduce and the other might be mining mass for Dyson spheres or artificial black holes, but neither are particularly interested to talk to you.

Yes, exactly. However, I didn't say they'd be at the same stage as us humans, only that they exist, and should be a somewhat main focus of the game.

I like the idea of "directed mutation" to better survive in diffrent enviroments, it gives a clear sort of... diffrence and such, also I would love if this was a 1 time thing, like if you have gained a mutation, too bad, you can't change, so it is basicly a very important choice and you really need to think about it.

I don't think mutations fit. The idea of it makes sense realistically, but in a game, it may not be practical. (Or suitable) As I suggested above, you'd be better off with a simple set of power armor with different modules such as night vision.

I like the idea of "directed mutation" to better survive in diffrent enviroments, it gives a clear sort of... diffrence and such, also I would love if this was a 1 time thing, like if you have gained a mutation, too bad, you can't change, so it is basicly a very important choice and you really need to think about it.

Gebe treatment. Problem fixed. It's FutureSpace tech after all. How "re-talenting" work in WoW.

@Dominar

The chances of a planet developing a sentient, higher cerebral functions species, is very low. Xeno-animals do not count as sentient lifeform. And as the game is marketed, you rebuild human civilisation, so I can't see aliens being playable races. 

Gebe treatment. Problem fixed. It's FutureSpace tech after all. How "re-talenting" work in WoW.

WHile LOGICALLY it would work that you could change around and such... it would make it so much less of a choice and therefor much less interesting.

A choice like changing your body around should be a 1 time thing... otherwise following will happen

1: Terraforming won't be a factor (which I hope it will be)

2: People will change on the fly, or just for fun.

3: There would be less strategic value, lets say you are in a war with a corp that mostly use aquatic planets (just example) and they are fish people, then it could be stragegically viable to fortify on a volcanic planet to really make it much more effective against the enemy.

@Tnecniw

Terraform a planet? Why are you asking for the kitchen sink  :P ??? And you seem to confuse evolution around an aquatic enviroment with the Little Mermaid. You won't grow tail and swim at mach 5 underwater like Aquaman. It would be an "extra", not a game-breaking bonus buff.

People would change genes for fun? God forbid games are fun man. God forbid. Games should be not for escapism, but actually, they should be water-boarding in digital form. 

Plus, it's an idea I threw in on the top of my hat. It won't be implemented, cause there are people out there that would storm NovaQuark's offices, claiming they are the devil for claiming evolution is real. Evolution, too controversial man, too controversial.

But Cybernetics is a whole other bag of nut ideas. Dibs on the head-drill cybernetic add-on. ^_^

But Cybernetics is a whole other bag of nut ideas. Dibs on the head-drill cybernetic add-on. ^_^

Yeah something like this would work better. Extreme cosmetic changes could be available at character creation, and perhaps some sort of independent skill point distribution where you would start with some skills at a higher level than others, like Skyrim. That way, people could be a different race in everything but name.

if you consider that our astronauts are allready having issues with their body after only 1 year in space, what do you think happens after 10'000 years, even if in cryostasis, it will affect the body.

logically the scientists on earth did some modifications on our dear settlers of alioth, so they can wake up from the cryosleep without having permanent damages. Be it trough a long term medication before the sleep or their food, or genes. Whatever the case you *were* earthlings/terrans/gaians whatever you wanna name it. But now youre different, dont need to add an *new* race since you ARE the new race.

Why do red people, yellow people, black people, blue people, white people all have different skin tones, bodyli structure, or height.... because their environment and food was different.

Meaning we will be different alltogether with the new things on Alioth.

Didnt think bout that didntcha? :P

if you consider that our astronauts are allready having issues with their body after only 1 year in space, what do you think happens after 10'000 years, even if in cryostasis, it will affect the body.

logically the scientists on earth did some modifications on our dear settlers of alioth, so they can wake up from the cryosleep without having permanent damages. Be it trough a long term medication before the sleep or their food, or genes. Whatever the case you *were* earthlings/terrans/gaians whatever you wanna name it. But now youre different, dont need to add an *new* race since you ARE the new race.

Why do red people, yellow people, black people, blue people, white people all have different skin tones, bodyli structure, or height.... because their environment and food was different.

Meaning we will be different alltogether with the new things on Alioth.

Didnt think bout that didntcha? :P

Well, that depends. If your cryostasis doesn't expand the water in your cells, then you can literally be fridged indefinitely. Plus, austronauts suffer from such effects due to lack of gravity. In FutureSpace, we got the gravity panels mastered by the power of convenient Sci-Fi cliches :P 

And you seem to agree on my rapid evolution virus idea :P For players to adapt on the enviroment they spend most of their time around.

thats indirectly due to a lack of gravity and directly because the muscles don't have enough work to do, so they degenerate. It doesnt matter if you're in cryo sleep for 10k years on earth or in space, your muscles will be completely degenerated when you wake up, but thats it. Thats what our friendly ARK-AI is for, to "repair" us :P

thats indirectly due to a lack of gravity and directly because the muscles don't have enough work to do, so they degenerate. It doesnt matter if you're in cryo sleep for 10k years on earth or in space, your muscles will be completely degenerated when you wake up, but thats it. Thats what our friendly ARK-AI is for, to "repair" us :P

SPACE TREADMILL GAMEPLAY CONFIRMED 

:P

not really, since you arent alive your muscles cant be deconstructed by your organism and you dont suffer muscle atrophy when in stasis