Preferred logout mechanics?

Preferred logout mechanics?  

151 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of logout mechanic do you prefer for your body?

• Ragdoll falls down (similar to Ark)
    • Body vanishes/fades away
    • Need to log out in cryochamber/bed
    • Other (explain below)

I vote the vanish, but with a combat timer. To keep people from bailing on a battle. If the person leaves during a fight, they will either auto-die or the player will be logged out, but their ship will remain in space, awaiting boarding.

I vote the vanish, but with a combat timer. To keep people from bailing on a battle. If the person leaves during a fight, they will either auto-die or the player will be logged out, but their ship will remain in space, awaiting boarding.

And if player logs of normaly (without combat) does the ship vanish? Even if it is multicrew? And will the buildings on planets (which you builded) vanish as well? 

That would be an awful lot of planning and coordination for ONE ship.  I grow hesitant when a game mimics reality so much it becomes an actual job.  As for a way to prevent respawning, I think the devs already had a notion on this.  The quantum "Resurrection Nodes" are supposed to be buildable and destroyable war assets.  

Of course, this just means I need to turn the interior ship design into a bloody labyrinth/deathtrap. B)

The benefit of having a crew... but also the draw backs.

The big ships may need several people to even be able to move them... let alone man the guns.  And such things would be owned by guilds... not any 1 person.  And so you would have to schedule people to be online at certain times to be able to use it. 

Difficult for the unorganized among us... Highly beneficial and powerful to those who can coordinate it all. 

I haven't voted yet. I like the idea of cryobeds or ragdolls (Even though I question the later's viability), but the idea of absolutely having to log off at a certain place isn't really viable for a lot of people: You have parents playing while their kids play in the background, you have people playing at off times at work or while waiting for something to finish, you have a lot of various life conditions where you might need at any point to get up and leave the computer because real life. If DU requires that you make scheduled full times breaks from your life where you do nothing but play DU, I'd be lucky if I could get 3-4 sessions a month.

And if player logs of normaly (without combat) does the ship vanish? Even if it is multicrew? And will the buildings on planets (which you builded) vanish as well? 

The ship will vanish of said player is NOT in combat. More of a way to keep people from escaping combat cheaply.

The ship will vanish of said player is NOT in combat. More of a way to keep people from escaping combat cheaply.

Are you stating this as fact?  If so sources please.  If not, please rephrase as it can definitely be misinterpreted. 

I don't think that disappearing ships are a good idea at all. Even if not in combat, it's not fair to those scum of the earth (galaxy) who would make a living preying off of sleeping players and their ships. It could be considered salvage even, if there's a lengthy period of inactivity. Also, what if there is another ship in the exact space where the ship was when it logged off? What would happen when that player logs back in? And what if the builder of a multi personnel ship were to log off? Whatever the case with a character log off, I don't think ships and stations or any other construct should disappear with the character.

Are you stating this as fact?  If so sources please.  If not, please rephrase as it can definitely be misinterpreted. 

I'm just answering a question, not stating a fact.

Well, either ships are gonna disappear with a 1 min timed logout, or you will make logging out a choir. Pick and choose.

well since even getting into space may take a month or so from time of release... Maybe they don't see flying in a 1 person ship to be the primary game play... 

If that's the case... and they have cryobed type log off / spawn points you can take with you on a larger crewed ship...  Then those ships don't have to disappear as you should always have them crewed by guild mates... 

And the small 1 person ships are for short trips...

Not saying I like this idea... this way of looking at it... but it just might be the case.

The whole organization system... the core of what this game is... is managing groups of players by players...

If that isn't your thing... I've got bad news for you...

PvP is managing players. Tucking people into beds is called baby-sitting. One is emergent gameplay, the other is REEEEEALLY getting weird.

I definitaly like the idea of cryopods as a log out point, maybe as a respawn point that reward the user for using them, but if you do need to go in a rush you could always log out from any spot, and return to those blocks at a later point. so long as nothing has been built there. If something has been built there you would spawn at the nearest safe location. Logging out should definitaly have a maybe 5 minute period where you are still vulnerable and fading away, to prevent combat logging and all that. Depending on the duration of space battles that may have to be increased.

PvP is managing players. Tucking people into beds is called baby-sitting. One is emergent gameplay, the other is REEEEEALLY getting weird.

Since when did walking into a designated room on your ship that 10 other players are actively playing on to log off/on become tucking people into beds?

With this system your character will disappear there and reappear there... No ships would disappear ever.(unless destroyed)  If you're in a 1 person fighter type ship you would have to fly it to somewhere with log off/in cryobed services for sale... such as a planet... or space station... or dock with a carrier ship which would have those chambers.

@Fitorion

Look at what your wrote above that last comment of mine mate. You spoke of crewed ships, that won't disappear, because your guild's ship will be always having beds on it. You want to be forced to go back to bed in a guild ship? Like this is some sort of survival game or something. It's silly to say the least. Sure, I can see an autopllot option back to wherever your base is. I can see vanish logout. But I don't want RP forced o me in an MMO. You want to sleep on beds, fine, your RP fantasy. I'm not in for the RP.

@Fitorion

Look at what your wrote above that last comment of mine mate. You spoke of crewed ships, that won't disappear, because your guild's ship will be always having beds on it. You want to be forced to go back to bed in a guild ship? Like this is some sort of survival game or something. It's silly to say the least. Sure, I can see an autopllot option back to wherever your base is. I can see vanish logout. But I don't want RP forced o me in an MMO. You want to sleep on beds, fine, your RP fantasy. I'm not in for the RP.

umm this is kinda some survival game (has survival elements but not solely survival). You will most likely be able to have an auto pilot and no one is forcing you to RP. If its a game mechanic work with it. I don't think that any construct should vanish as what happens when you log back in and someone has parked their ship where yours was? do they explode, phase though each other? what about buildings? As for logging off I suggested a kind of souless logout system but it seems to have been mostly ignored so go back and read it if you want.

@ShadowLordAlpha

The server can displace you if you were to SOMEHOW spawn in the same place in a frigging star system that another guy "parked" his ship. You know, the chances are VERY little of that happening, but anyway. I am not saying vanishing while in combat by the way. A 30 second cooldown to vansih or something in combat. But beds? That's some RP shit right there. 

@Fitorion

The server can displace you if you were to SOMEHOW spawn in the same place in a frigging star system that another guy "parked" his ship. You know, the chances are VERY little of that happening, but anyway. I am not saying vanishing while in combat by the way. A 30 second cooldown to vansih or something in combat. But beds? That's some RP shit right there. 

I suggested souless so if you were in a safe zone or a bed you would "vanish" instantly as long as there was no combat timer of other hostile activity and if not you would ragdoll for a bit (or until login) and then vanish so there was every chance you could be killed. if you make the constructs vanish whats to stop me from simply making my ship have very large amounts of armor and just logging out when i get attacked or something. Then my ship and me will vanish and the attacker will get nothing.

I still don't want other constructs to be vanishing on logout at all but it might be required for the servers but buildings should not as you can not properly displace them without possibly causing a lot of damage

@ShadowLordAlpha

Vanish when OUT OF COMBAT. Your armor means shit, you get tagged for combat, you are in combat until you don't get damaged for 1 min. What did you not understand??? Your armor means nothing. You are tagged for PVP. You get out of PvP, you must wait 30s for you to vanish out there in the wilds. Simple and easy. 

@ShadowLordAlpha

Vanish when OUT OF COMBAT. Your armor means shit, you get tagged for combat, you are in combat until you don't get damaged for 1 min. What did you not understand??? Your armor means nothing. You are tagged for PVP. You get out of PvP, you must wait 30s for you to vanish out there in the wilds. Simple and easy. 

and how long can you keep shooting me? Armor can mean a lot also what if I have 2 constructs where one is the core and one is the armor? then the core will not reset and will vanish but the armor will say and keep them wasting their ammo and they get nothing in the end

@ShadowLordAlpha

You don't understand how coded objects work in a game engine. if your ship is two parts, when your outter shell moves it will collide with your "core" construct, damaging it through collision. Aside from looking like an idiot from doing "dem hax0r ideaz", you also don't make sense as of a combat standpoint. You have heavy armor on your ship... why not pwn the guy attacking you? Oh yeah, because RP pacifism.Tucking yourself in a bed is better than fighting. Plus, you can initiate the logout option and juke your opponent for 30 seconds until you logout. But no wait, you have to suck your thumb on a bed, otherwise it isn't a good gaming session.

By the way, Dual is not a survival game. They state so on twitter and facebook. Stop asking for the kitchen sink please. The game has a lot of things to get right so far. Multiplayer gameplay with constructed ships, damage physics, actual physics, cone of fire combat and LUA scripts intergration. Deal with the WoW logout sequence of "No combat/Out of combat" logic. It's simple and user friendly.

@ShadowLordAlpha

You don't understand how coded objects work in a game engine. if your ship is two parts, when your outter shell moves it will collide with your "core" construct, damaging it through collision. Aside from looking like an idiot from doing "dem hax0r ideaz", you also don't make sense as of a combat standpoint. You have heavy armor on your ship... why not pwn the guy attacking you? Oh yeah, because RP pacifism.Tucking yourself in a bed is better than fighting. Plus, you can initiate the logout option and juke your opponent for 30 seconds until you logout. But no wait, you have to suck your thumb on a bed, otherwise it isn't a good gaming session.

I understand perfectly well how they work. now take that computer or whatever you are on and using to answer and nicely push it across a hard surface like a desk. was it damaged? is it suddenly unusable and only worth something as scrap? no? gasp you have a way of making two things collide in a physics "engine" without them damaging each other.

now onto more complicated matters. Removable/replaceable and expendable armor is a really good thing I could make it really light with lots of holes and gaps between plates to make it take longer for weapons to fully penetrate it without making it unmovable. I could make it a solid block of metal that just tanks everything. I could make it a battleship that encases a more complicated and valuable core.

As for logging out my thing was you can logout wherever and whenever you want but your probably going to end up dead unless its in some kind of safe zone. I could care less if you want to log out and leave your character in a bed or in the dirt or even under some pink bridge. I just don't want and don't think it makes any sense whatsoever to have constructs that vanish when a player logs out. It would make most players immune to strategy from others and from what I have seen and read the devs want to have a lot of strategy involved in this game and large cities with plenty of things moving around so one person logging off and the whole train system going down just wouldn't work.

@ShadowLordAlpha

You clearly do not understand how coding moveable objects functions. What you want to do for the armor, is unrealistic. There's a difference between having a physics engine and having your dream VR physics engine, where you can have molecular architecture in your game.

If you were to make a two part ship it would have to act as a single entity for the thrusters to work, otherwise the ship would be taking collison damage all the time. And you can't pull new elements out of your ass you know, physics is not magic. You can't make a super-light, super-hard alloy that can withstand both energy and ballistic weapons. You are confusing physics with comics. There's a reason sword blades are made from a single bar of metal. It's a thing called "Structural Integrity". You add holes and gaps in armor plating, you pretty much shot yourself on the foot right there. And then, you have the problem of mass. You seem to think that the game will give you some kind of super-duper rocket engine. Guess what, balanced gameplay. You build such a heavy ship, you won't be saved by anything. You are sitting duck, moving at a slow pace. Check the interview with the XPGamer on youtube that JC Baillie gave for more info on that.

On your second subject. EVEN STAR CITIZEN, that fancies itself a space simulator with high fidelity, opted for the "vanishing" ship when logging out. Why? Because going to a bed and all that RP nonsense is something only a very small minority wants.

@ShadowLordAlpha

You clearly do not understand how coding moveable objects functions. What you want to do for the armor, is unrealistic. There's a difference between having a physics engine and having your dream VR physics engine, where you can have molecular architecture in your game.

If you were to make a two part ship it would have to act as a single entity for the thrusters to work, otherwise the ship would be taking collison damage all the time. And you can't pull new elements out of your ass you know, physics is not magic. You can't make a super-light, super-hard alloy that can withstand both energy and ballistic weapons. You are confusing physics with comics. There's a reason sword blades are made from a single bar of metal. It's a thing called "Structural Integrity". You add holes and gaps in armor plating, you pretty much shot yourself on the foot right there. And then, you have the problem of mass. You seem to think that the game will give you some kind of super-duper rocket engine. Guess what, balanced gameplay. You build such a heavy ship, you won't be saved by anything. You are sitting duck, moving at a slow pace. Check the interview with the XPGamer on youtube that JC Baillie gave for more info on that.

On your second subject. EVEN STAR CITIZEN, that fancies itself a space simulator with high fidelity, opted for the "vanishing" ship when logging out. Why? Because going to a bed and all that RP nonsense is something only a very small minority wants.

Its possible and as much as I like to rag on the game you can do it in Space Engineers.

it needs to move as a single entity but there is no need for it to function as one. also your thinking of the wrong type of holes (yes I did say hole im clearing it up here). I'm talking about spaced armor that has gaps between the different plates to allow for explosive type rounds to do far less damage overall as there is space for it to disperse into instead of having to go though the armor. I wasn't talking about a super hard alloy i was talking about a cheap ass metal that is very light and probably can't take all that much damage. That combined with the spaced plates makes it able to withstand more than you would think it can as well as being decently light for its size. Also I don't plan on accelerating or stopping quickly and because its space I can just accelerate forever (probably some limit with the physics eventually)

Why are you still hung up on the bed thing? I already said I don't care about your character only the constructs and you want them to vanish I don't. drop it and think of something new to say.